Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 16, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #4,081 of 9,628
You could try to put your HD700 drivers into your HF650 frame....

What you are describing is more or less (a lot more than less by the way) the HD660S: a HD700 driver in a HD650 frame paint in mat black...

Mar 16, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #4,084 of 9,628
You really think it’s just a hd700 driver jammed in a HD6X0 frame?

No modifications, no driver tuning, no careful testing at all?

I believe Sennheiser said they are tuned differently, even though the housing likely makes the biggest difference I wouldn’t be surprised if they are tuned differently. The HD 600 and HD 650 drivers are tuned differently from each other in my experience. Just because a driver looks exactly the same doesn’t mean they sound the same. Sennheiser makes their own drivers so they can tune them how they wish.

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #4,086 of 9,628

Honestly, there is a decent modification, they now use black plastic without paint. But it sounds superp, so what. The driver finally found it's proper home.

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #4,087 of 9,628
What you are describing is more or less (a lot more than less by the way) the HD660S: a HD700 driver in a HD650 frame paint in mat black...
Ayes Sir that what I mean..

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #4,089 of 9,628
I once transplanted HD700 drivers in a Beyer T5P I had that became faulty.
Soundstage was massive, the only problem was it sounded far too thin/bright, no matter how much I tried to tune it I couldn't get the bass to show.
Soundstage was something special though.

Mar 16, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #4,090 of 9,628

its HD700 drivers but I'm sure they did something to tame that treb...just like HD800 and HD800s. I dont think Sennheiser would ditch the HD700 drivers, sales were too low and R&D cost were too much. They probably did not recoupe from HD700 sales to justify ditching the project.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #4,091 of 9,628
Has anyone actually conclusively said it is the HD700 driver? What I read Sennheiser say is that it is "based on" the HD700 driver. So that is not necessarily just plonking the HD700 driver in HD650.

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #4,092 of 9,628
its HD700 drivers but I'm sure they did something to tame that treb...just like HD800 and HD800s. I dont think Sennheiser would ditch the HD700 drivers, sales were too low and R&D cost were too much. They probably did not recoupe from HD700 sales to justify ditching the project.[/QUOTE

After reading your post I asked my friend to bring over his HD660S and we took out one of the drivers from them and one from my HD700 and they don't sound the same outside of any housing so I'm pretty confident that the drivers in the HD660S is not the same as those in the HD700. Granted all we did was hold them next to our ears connected to the same source, not very scientific but it was easy to notice that they don't sound the same, but also weird without any housing.

Mar 17, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #4,093 of 9,628
After reading your post I asked my friend to bring over his HD660S and we took out one of the drivers from them and one from my HD700 and they don't sound the same outside of any housing so I'm pretty confident that the drivers in the HD660S is not the same as those in the HD700. Granted all we did was hold them next to our ears connected to the same source, not very scientific but it was easy to notice that they don't sound the same, but also weird without any housing.

I am assuming you meant "look" instead of "sound"

anyway, thanks for clarifying, not sure what Sennheiser was saying when they said "based on HD700", maybe its just a marketing tactic. Its also interesting to note that many, consider the HD660s are neutral to brighter than HD650s so maybe thats where the similarity was reference. Either way glad we clear that up. I am still standing by what I said regarding two same drivers can sound totally different, as in the case of HD800 vs HD800s.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #4,094 of 9,628
A picture would have been nice. Anyways, I was just kidding about the whole subject, lol. I hope you did not damage anything on the HD660S or the HD700. Would be a pity.

Mar 18, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #4,095 of 9,628
I am assuming you meant "look" instead of "sound"

anyway, thanks for clarifying, not sure what Sennheiser was saying when they said "based on HD700", maybe its just a marketing tactic. Its also interesting to note that many, consider the HD660s are neutral to brighter than HD650s so maybe thats where the similarity was reference. Either way glad we clear that up. I am still standing by what I said regarding two same drivers can sound totally different, as in the case of HD800 vs HD800s.
They do look similar and since they are both 150ohm drivers I think this is where some got the idea that the HD660S drivers were from the HD700 but even if drivers look the same they can have many other different variable that will alter the sound.

A picture would have been nice. Anyways, I was just kidding about the whole subject, lol. I hope you did not damage anything on the HD660S or the HD700. Would be a pity.
The thought of damaging the drivers did crepe in to my mine when trying to get the HD700 drivers out which is a bit harder than the HD6 series. One good point that came about was that after seeing how small the wires are from the connector to the drivers I can't see how using really large cables would make a difference since it still has to travel from the jack to the driver over the really fine wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back