Sennheiser HD650 Pads
Aug 14, 2014 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

iancraig10

Headphoneus Supremus
My pads needed replacing and the price of the Senn pads is pretty disgusting. So, before laying out on real pads, I bought some 'fakes' from China!! (Yes .... Real fakes!!!)

They arrived eventually and I got a little surprise when I tried them. Fit onto the cups was ok, not brilliant, but once on, they were fine. They took quite a bit of pressure to get them to click.

The velour isn't as thick as the Senn pads when new, but my collapsed ones were lower, so at least they were an improvement. Density is slightly different with them seeming to be a little firmer.

So they are firmer and lower. I expected a massive bass as a result .......

Surprise - they were fine. Slightly smaller opening on the ears but the bass wasn't quite as strong as before. (I think) mids are excellent. Treble seems good. I suspect that these pads do sound a little different but actually, I like the sound. It seems more balanced than my old knackered pads. So I've decided to stay with these Chinese pads at less than half the price of the Senn ones.

I feel that the sound of the hd650 is slightly more on the hd600 side. I don't understand why that is since they aren't as thick as the real thing and you'd think having the drivers closer would increase the bass. They're not massively closer but I did think they would be too bassy.

So, if Sennheiser lowered the ridiculous price of their pads, I'd have bought them, but I've gone to the 'fake' side now.

Does anyone know of a more reasonable price for real Senn pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back