Sennheiser HD650 Cable Shootout: Stock, Zu, Equinox and Grace Five Two
Jan 6, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #46 of 147
Thanks much So-crates and saint.p
biggrin.gif
This is a very cool forum, and deserves much more attention than it gets. Power tripping, tweaking, and lots of good things happen here.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Tao-
as mentioned somewhere up above in the thread, I offered that if you and JaZZ and Patu over in Helsinki were interested in trying it out, I would be willing to ship over my Equinox for a small Euro-tour. If I can get a G52 in there that would make it even more interesting. Any of you guys want to do that, just let me know.

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #47 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Tao-
as mentioned somewhere up above in the thread, I offered that if you and JaZZ and Patu over in Helsinki were interested in trying it out, I would be willing to ship over my Equinox for a small Euro-tour. If I can get a G52 in there that would make it even more interesting. Any of you guys want to do that, just let me know.

Hi Al, I missed that post but I'm definetely interested in such a cable tour especially since JaZZ only lives a couple minutes from me. Thanks a lot for this generous offer! I will pm you about the details.

Jan 9, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #48 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Practitioner-
I agree with JaZZ and think you should try a headphone cable replacement before other ICs. I don't know the Meier cables you reference, but I am sure they are good quality considering the source and I assume they will give your new Aria a good signal to work with. I am quite certain you would hear a bigger improvement by switching to the Equinox or any of the other replacement cables.

I'am ready to make an order for the Equinox, 8ft (2.45m) I've settled on. However, I'am not sure which connecter to go for?

3.5-mm with adapter will be good, I can use my SM3. Will it effect the sound in any way from a standard 1/4 connector? Also how about resale value?... although from all that I've been reading I doubt that this won't be a keeper!
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #49 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by practitioner
I'am ready to make an order for the Equinox, 8ft (2.45m) I've settled on. However, I'am not sure which connecter to go for?

3.5-mm with adapter will be good, I can use my SM3. Will it effect the sound in any way from a standard 1/4 connector? Also how about resale value?... although from all that I've been reading I doubt that this won't be a keeper!
icon10.gif

I don't know if a more technical person would disagree, but I think that it is preferable to have the 1/4" connector on the cable and then use an adapter like the one that comes with the HD650 to go to 1/8", rather than going the other way around. At a minimum, I think the resale value--in the event you change your cable or sell your 650s--is decreased with the 1/8" connector. One Head-Fi friend of mine had all of his Headphile cables done in 1/8" terminations for a while then regretted it because of sound home rigs and because of resale limitations.

Best of luck!

Jan 11, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #50 of 147
I just had a near-mini-meet with a local gent, very nice time. He had the Equinox and I brought my Grace 5-2 (how many ways can we name it?!
tongue.gif
)

He had two 650's, one less burned in. In general, I preferred the Grace, though on some music, the Equinox shone through better. My 650 is too new, and the Grace is a little harsh on it right now. But I have no doubt that once burned in, the match will be awesome, and I'm hanging on to mine as well!

Jan 11, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #51 of 147
My Balanced Equinox (15') arrived last week. It replaces the Cardas, and I'm truly amazed. I was nearly converted to the K701 as my top 'can, until I put this cable on. The Equinox is finally getting the attention it deserves here on head-fi. Though, that long wait is rather off-putting. But oh my is it worth it. Never have my ears been graced with such fidelity.

Am I the only one here with the balanced version?

Jan 11, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #52 of 147
Skullguise-
Both cables are great, and I am sure as your 650s and your Grace break in you will like them even more.

Sloth-
Man am I dying to hear the balanced Equinox! I don't think I have heard anybody else with that cable. ayt999's balanced cables on his 650s sounded great and it would be fun to compare them to the Equinox. Care to come out to California ?
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #53 of 147
I have ordered the Equinox cable today
icon10.gif
couldn't resist it any more. Found a UK dealer (Stone Audio) who works out to be £20 more ( ~ $35) than from ordering direct. Figured, any VAT + duty will easily add up to £20 plus it's in stock, and should arrive in the next 2 days compared to the 6-7 week wait when ordering from Stefan Audio Art direct.

can't wait!

Man, it's only January, loving the Aria amp and now have the Equinox as well as the UR6 IC on order!
eek.gif
icon10.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #54 of 147
Nice grab practitioner! Sounds like a much better way to go from the UK dealer--way faster and probably the same price or cheaper with VAT factored in. Enjoy the cable and post some thoughts of the combo with the Aria and 650s/Equinox.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #55 of 147
A bit late to this thread, but I'd like to add my thanks to Voltron for the cable comparison.

I'm going for Grace Five Two. I've been listening to the K701 for two weeks and neglecting the HD650. It needs help!

Feb 2, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #56 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
I'm going for Grace Five Two. I've been listening to the K701 for two weeks and neglecting the HD650. It needs help!

You must have trouble keeping your whole headphone harem happy! The jealousies must be fierce.
evil_smiley.gif

I am sure you will like the Grace--it is a great cable and will have you reaching for those 650s more often.
icon10.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #60 of 147
Yes, since the review I sold the Zu and acquired the Silver Dragon. I like the new acquisition but I have not listened very much or very critically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back