Sennheiser HD599 vs HD6xx? Trying to decide.
Jan 6, 2022 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Corvin25

New Head-Fier
Hi, I figured this would be literally the best forum to ask this question. :)

So last month I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD599 headphones. Got them on sale. Love the color, love the sound, nothing is "wrong" with them.

However, almost every forum post, YouTube review, and audiophile-related post says that the 6xx, basically a discounted version of the HD600/650, are on a whole other level of audio quality. I do have a Sound Blaster G6, which can power headphones up to 600 ohms, so it's not like I can't drive them to their fullest.

But the problem is, I missed the Black Friday/Boxing Day sale, so I missed out paying $40 USD less. So it's no longer a no-brainer. :frowning2:

So my question is... should I take back the HD599s and order the HD6xx instead? Is it worth upgrading? Is it "$60 USD better?" (with shipping to Canada) to upgrade?

List of headphones I own, if it matters, or if they are superior to the HD6xx:

Sennheiser HD599
Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO (250 ohm)
Grado SR80x (sent away for repairs)
Grado SR325x (also being repaired)
Audio Technica M50x wired

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 9
I've had almost every Sennheiser model including those. From the 599 to the 6xx you get a little less bass and notice more detail, and a little smaller soundstage. I don't think it's worth it. If your looking for fun, the Hifiman HE4xx would be different, I personally love the DT880 250ohm much for than the 6xx. More comfortable and better soundstage. The black 250 ohm edition to me is even more fun. With the 600ohm version distortion can be a problem in games at loud volume with tons of explosions going off like a raid.

Jan 7, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 9
I've had almost every Sennheiser model including those. From the 599 to the 6xx you get a little less bass and notice more detail, and a little smaller soundstage. I don't think it's worth it. If your looking for fun, the Hifiman HE4xx would be different, I personally love the DT880 250ohm much for than the 6xx. More comfortable and better soundstage. The black 250 ohm edition to me is even more fun. With the 600ohm version distortion can be a problem in games at loud volume with tons of explosions going off like a raid.
Thank you for responding!

Hmmmm. Interesting. You're the only person across multiple websites to say I shouldn't go for the 6xx over the 599! o.o This intrigues me.

And I have heard that the 6xx soundstage is a little narrow compared to some other models. I am looking for "fun," but not if I have to sacrifice significant clarity. I've been using mostly closed-back cans up to this point, so really ANY open back will seem "bigger" to me. But I do like the sound signature of the HD599s, certainly nothing BAD here at all.

More than that, I'm looking for durability. I have a rather large head, and I tend to wear my headphones 10-12 hours a day, every single day, as I work from home at a desk. Another reason I'm eyeing the 6xx is because some people on youtube say they've been using their HD600s for 15+ years. I'm usually lucky if my cans make it to age 2.

That's the reason I'm a bit worried about the HD599's longevity. The 6xx looks like it has a bit of metal in its headband construction, and since the drivers connect to separate ears, instead of snaking through the headband, the plastic parts are more easily replaced, since I don't have to take out the wires or do anything drastic.

Are there any differences in durability that I should be aware of? I understand that the 599s might have a slightly "nicer" sound, but if the 6xx is vastly more durable, I might go with that.

For reference, I used an extended warranty to return some Shure 840s like, 7 times because the earcups kept snapping off after just 3 months.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 9
I know it's not listed as an option so sorry in advance... But after trying the whole 580/58X thru 6 series I would shoot for HD600... It's just the best by a good bit and priced in the middle... I could not own any of the others in that series knowing it exists.... Unless you really just NEED smooth, cannot speak for the 599 but if you are ok with losing out on a good bit of technical performance IMO to have the smoothest then 6XX would be good for you, not my cup of tea but I acknowledge it.

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 9
I know it's not listed as an option so sorry in advance... But after trying the whole 580/58X thru 6 series I would shoot for HD600... It's just the best by a good bit and priced in the middle... I could not own any of the others in that series knowing it exists.... Unless you really just NEED smooth, cannot speak for the 599 but if you are ok with losing out on a good bit of technical performance IMO to have the smoothest then 6XX would be good for you, not my cup of tea but I acknowledge it.
Well I'm not exactly a MUSICIAN, so my interest is purely in GOOD, CLEAR sound, not absolute mechanical, technical precision. But you are absolutely helping me to make an informed decision on this, and it is very much appreciated, thank you!

Is the 6xx really that much better than the 58x Jubilee, in terms of clarity?

And... I'm sorry but I'm afraid I can't justify the HD600's price tag when the HD6xx is literally like, half the price. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Well I'm not exactly a MUSICIAN, so my interest is purely in GOOD, CLEAR sound, not absolute mechanical, technical precision. But you are absolutely helping me to make an informed decision on this, and it is very much appreciated, thank you!

Is the 6xx really that much better than the 58x Jubilee, in terms of clarity?

And... I'm sorry but I'm afraid I can't justify the HD600's price tag when the HD6xx is literally like, half the price. :frowning2:
Yes the 6XX has more technical ability, however if the 6XX is a step above the 58X, the HD600 is another step if not 2 steps.

As far as the HD600's price, at least in the USA around Christmas it was on sale for $270, and semi regularly goes on sale for basically that price, also used you can get good ones anywhere from $200-270 all day, they are very reliable too, so buying one out of warranty may not be as bad as it seems... many people here are of the opinion it is if not the most reliable headphone one of the most, I personally have had my hands on quite a few older ones that were all rock solid technically

EDIT: seeing a lot of new ones for $300

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 9
Yes the 6XX has more technical ability, however if the 6XX is a step above the 58X, the HD600 is another step if not 2 steps.

As far as the HD600's price, at least in the USA around Christmas it was on sale for $270, and semi regularly goes on sale for basically that price, also used you can get good ones anywhere from $200-270 all day, they are very reliable too, so buying one out of warranty may not be as bad as it seems... many people here are of the opinion it is if not the most reliable headphone one of the most, I personally have had my hands on quite a few older ones that were all rock solid technically

EDIT: seeing a lot of new ones for $300
Hurm.
Seems the only "deal" on them in Canada right now is here, and it's not much of a sale. About $376 USD. https://www.long-mcquade.com/8293/P...D-600-Dynamic-Hi-Fi-Pro-Stereo-Headphones.htm

And the 650 is even more expensive, $471 USD: https://www.long-mcquade.com/8311/P...0---Open-Circumaural-Hi-Fi-Pro-Headphones.htm

Yikes. :frowning2:

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 9
Hurm.
Seems the only "deal" on them in Canada right now is here, and it's not much of a sale. About $376 USD. https://www.long-mcquade.com/8293/P...D-600-Dynamic-Hi-Fi-Pro-Stereo-Headphones.htm

And the 650 is even more expensive, $471 USD: https://www.long-mcquade.com/8311/P...0---Open-Circumaural-Hi-Fi-Pro-Headphones.htm

Yikes. :frowning2:
consider buying a used American pair, I think you could save around $100... I believe massdrop should still charge the same % of import and I would think would also charge extra for delivery, if not then it's likely an additional $40-70 depending on if you get the case and such as such. Of course that is a used HD600 vs new HD6XX, my main point being is that if you find the HD600 appealing enough the price should not be that restrictive, either way enjoy, the 6XX isn't bad, just for me personally I consider the HD600 the most amount of tradeoff for smoothness vs detail/resolution I want, and I tend to favor smooth gear as the Oppo HA-1/LCD-3 combo leans very much to that side. Good luck friend, you won't be dissapointed either way both goods cans!

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #9 of 9
consider buying a used American pair, I think you could save around $100... I believe massdrop should still charge the same % of import and I would think would also charge extra for delivery, if not then it's likely an additional $40-70 depending on if you get the case and such as such. Of course that is a used HD600 vs new HD6XX, my main point being is that if you find the HD600 appealing enough the price should not be that restrictive, either way enjoy, the 6XX isn't bad, just for me personally I consider the HD600 the most amount of tradeoff for smoothness vs detail/resolution I want, and I tend to favor smooth gear as the Oppo HA-1/LCD-3 combo leans very much to that side. Good luck friend, you won't be dissapointed either way both goods cans!
All right. I think at my current budget the 6xx is the best option, even if they charge $50 in import/duty fees. Thank you for your help and insight. ;u;

Now I just need to wait on a response from the drop staff to see if I can get any sort of discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back