Sennheiser HD598 with MacBook Pro (mid 2010) - Do I need an AMP?
Nov 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rasmutte

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I've just ordered the Sennheiser HD 598 headphone and they will arrive tomorrow.

Do I need an amp to drive them or can my MBP's internal sound card drive them?

Please give me some support. Thanks.

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 8
Do you need and amp? No.

Do want an amp? Yes!

How did I know?  you came to headfi, and once your here, when you go to sleep at night you'll hear some of us in your closet quietly chanting, "one of us... one of us... one of us..."

First off you'd be better to make sure your music files are ripped at cd quality, and if thats taken car of, then you can start looking at amps and DACs.  It does you no good to amp a less than decent signal.  

Good amps/DAC to start looking at would be the NuForce uDAC, or HeadRooms Total Bithead/Airhead.  They are great entry level priced, mid-fi performance units sure to put a smile on you face.

Nov 12, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Do you need and amp? No.

Do want an amp? Yes!

How did I know?  you came to headfi, and once your here, when you go to sleep at night you'll hear some of us in your closet quietly chanting, "one of us... one of us... one of us..."

First off you'd be better to make sure your music files are ripped at cd quality, and if thats taken car of, then you can start looking at amps and DACs.  It does you no good to amp a less than decent signal.  

Good amps/DAC to start looking at would be the NuForce uDAC, or HeadRooms Total Bithead/Airhead.  They are great entry level priced, mid-fi performance units sure to put a smile on you face.

Haha, nice!

Let me see... All of my music is FLAC or 320kbps MP3's.

Thanks for: "NuForce uDAC, or HeadRooms Total Bithead/Airhead", but do know any specific model of them?
I'm kinda new at this!

EDIT: Which is best of these?
Total Bithead
or Airhead
or Nuforce UDAC
or Nuforce UDAC 2?

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 8
If I was spending my money with your headphones, I'd go for the uDAC or uDAC2.  The DAC section of the NuForce units is superior to the HeadRoom units, but its amp section lags behind somewhat.  However, with the 50 ohm impedance Senns, the amp section of the uDAC should be no problem at all.  It will also serve as a stand alone source if you ever decide to get a dedicated amp.  

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 8
The Fiio E7 is also a good alternative to the uDac.

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
If I was spending my money with your headphones, I'd go for the uDAC or uDAC2.  The DAC section of the NuForce units is superior to the HeadRoom units, but its amp section lags behind somewhat.  However, with the 50 ohm impedance Senns, the amp section of the uDAC should be no problem at all.  It will also serve as a stand alone source if you ever decide to get a dedicated amp.  

Okay thanks.
What's the difference between uDAC & uDAC2?

Quote:
The Fiio E7 is also a good alternative to the uDac.

Hm, it looks nice, but I can't find it here in Sweden. :s
Do you know any site that ships to Sweden?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back