Sennheiser HD595 sounding much better out of a vintage receiver instead of a matrix m-stage.
Nov 15, 2011 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chrislangley4253

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I've been A/Bing my matrix m-stage with a vintage receiver (an old technics, nothing special).. It seems that the sennheiser HD595s really do a lot better out of the vintage receiver, while my grados really sound much better out of the matrix m-stage. I was wondering if anyone had any idea why this might be? I expected the matrix m-stage to power the sennheisers well. Is there something I'm missing here?

i mean, I'm totally happy with the m-stage as an amp for my grados, but I'm kinda bummed that I can't get a pair of senns as well, with this set-up. It's really disappointing compared to the stereo receiver.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 9
Hmm, it could be that the warmer sound signature of the m-stage is not quite gelling with the HD595.  Though, considering the HD595 tends to sound a bit thin and a little bright sometimes, I'm surprised you haven't like them through the m-stage.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 9
I should have described myself better.. It is the low end that is totally lacking on the senns with the M-stage. It sounds like they are being underpowered, by a lot. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 9
Really?  You found the bass lacking through the m-stage?  That IS surprising.  Is your m-stage new or used?

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 9
Most vintage receivers are pretty good driving headphones...im not surprised. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 9
The headphone out on the receiver might have a higher output impedance, which will give you more (but looser) bass than the m-stage.  My old Superscope is like this for sure.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Really?  You found the bass lacking through the m-stage?  That IS surprising.  Is your m-stage new or used?

used, but it is all stock apart from having a different opamp. I have tried several opamps though.. and none have changed the sound dramatically.

Quote:
The headphone out on the receiver might have a higher output impedance, which will give you more (but looser) bass than the m-stage.  My old Superscope is like this for sure.

Very possible... it could be that I just prefer the synergy of the receiver with the sennheisers. I'm not the only one that thinks this by the way.. My friend (the owner of the senns) agrees. Also, i don't really find the bass looser, it seems pretty tight. I just get a lot better extension and impact with the receiver.

also, i'm very happy with the amount of bass I get with the magnums, i would even say it's a touch more than I get with the sennheisers. Kinda weird eh?

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 9
my old pioneer has tones of bass compared to my woo.  i think a lot of receivers are just more heavily colored towards the low end than headphone specific amps.  they tend to be flatter i think. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 9
Hmm. 

perhaps the senns are just better at handling and reproducing the extra bass that the receiver offers. It might not be "neutral" but it sure is a fun sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back