Sennheiser HD595 : Not a mistake anymore
Jul 9, 2009 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

gurubhai

500+ Head-Fier
I found a great deal for HD595 locally($170) & jumped on it. To compare the previous best price for these at my place was $240.
Also we have HD600 at $440 and HD650 at $500.
angry_face.gif

so, after confirming the deal I logged on to head-fi to see how the fare against other HPs in similar price range and I was taken aback to see that how poorly these are held at head-fi with some members saying that even AD700 sounds better than them.
Are these really that bad?
Should I ask for a refund?
frown.gif

PS. It was a one time deal , price is back to $220 now

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 34
dont turn your back on ANY product because jon dough on a forum says it stinks. For everyone saying stinks there will be somebody lavishing praise.

the ultimate judge as to whether its good or bad...........is you !!
happy_face1.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 34
Only problem I have with the HD595 is that to me it sounded too close the the HD555. I like the better feeling/looking materials though.
I've used the HD555 for quite a long time and was very happy with them so I think you'll like those HD595's. Not the most exciting headphones, but good all-round, comfortable and you seem to have got them for a good price.

If you are into modding, you can consider cancelling the HD595, ordering the HD555 for about $80-90 and mod these to become the HD595. Internally they are said to be the same, but the HD555 has some extra damping that can be removed. The headband won't look as nice but it is the cheaper option. That... or hang around head-fi some more and order the HD600/650
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 34
I see from your signature that you already have D1001.

Based on my experience when I had D1000 and HD595 - they sounded almost identical (despite the open design of Sennheiser), and I preferred comfort of D1000, as sound vise I liked HD595 only slightly more.
Plus HD595 not shares the same sonic signature as HD580,600 and 650 have and what makes them really popular (downside you need to have good amp).
IMHO

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermonuclear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont turn your back on ANY product because jon dough on a forum says it stinks. For everyone saying stinks there will be somebody lavishing praise.

the ultimate judge as to whether its good or bad...........is you !!
happy_face1.gif

EXACTLY.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 34
I really dug my 595s when I had them - they're a fine set of cans and it sounds like you got 'em at good price. (They will sound much better amped.)

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, after confirming the deal I logged on to head-fi to see how the fare against other HPs in similar price range and I was taken aback to see that how poorly these are held at head-fi with some members saying that even AD700 sounds better than them.
Are these really that bad?
Should I ask for a refund?
frown.gif

PS. It was a one time deal , price is back to $220 now

*even* the AD700 ? I think you will find that the AD700 outperforms significantly more expensive cans from Sennheiser and others, but previous posters have already pointed out that you shouldn't be basing your enjoyment of new cans around what is written in these forums. Audition, audition, audition.

Jul 9, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ OK , so where are the people who think that HD595 are great for the price?
Everybody seems to despise them & suggest HD580 or AD700 over these.

Again, you are seeking to validate the fact that you bought a pair of headphones based largely on price, *then* tried to 'research' your purchase. Wouldnt it have been better to pay a few dollars more for a better pair of cans ? As mentioned before, if you like them it doesnt matter what Head-Fiers think.

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 34
I was trying to decide what new phone I wanted to buy. I described what i liked in my daily use IEM and posted a couple of threads. One thread lead me to believe I wanted JVC HA-DX1 phones which I bought, I recieved my phones and while I like them find them to be what I think of as bass light and maybe a bit to smooth. Another thread I started convinced me that AD700 would be to bass light in comparison to my IEM's. In the end Kawai_Man listed a pair of AD700's for sale and the price was in my wheelhouse and I decided to ignore the advice I recieved and bought them from him. I LOVE MY AD700 PHONES!!!

Long story short, especially in the case of having already ordered these phones, give them a try as you may LOVE them regardless of what other users think.

BTW for what it's worth I preferred the sound of the AD700 over the HD595 which I returned after trying them out. For me it was the more detailed and visceral mids and highs and less boomy mid-bass of the AD700 that I liked. I know many users prefer the mid-bass of the HD595 and prefer it's smoother presentation. Again you will know if you like them after you listen to them.

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thread I started convinced me that AD700 would be to bass light in comparison to my IEM's. In the end Kawai_Man listed a pair of AD700's for sale and the price was in my wheelhouse and I decided to ignore the advice I recieved and bought them from him. I LOVE MY AD700 PHONES!!!

That's great, but I cant say I'm surprised. The AD900s have an even stronger following, but you will still see posts saying that they are 'bass light'. The difference is that it isnt 'slam' bass, but I agree that a lot of posts like that can sway you : I have opted for a pair of IEMs with a little more impact in the bass over a pair of AD900s for my next purchase, but I know that I will end up with the 900s at some stage within the next 6 months - you can only ignore the positives for so long !
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back