Sennheiser HD555 and HD595 internal comparison shots
Aug 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #16 of 130
I agree with most of such 'differences' are mere marketing tricks, hoaxes, etc... Sadly I didn't get the chance to call Sennheiser today, but will do next week...

If they carry the same partnumber we know for certain the drivers are identical, if not I'll order a 595 driver to compare for as much as I am capable of....

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #17 of 130
I'm dying to know this as well... but put it this way, me and a friend who both own HD555's did the mod about a month ago, and within 2 weeks both our left ear drivers were crackling, and we'd changed nothing else... his were under warranty so got lucky, mine are in for repair now... but it's been a catalyst for me to move further and I've decided to get a pair of hd650's as well - P.S. i'd appreciate (pm ofc.) if someone knows any amps under US$500 which pair well with it xD :]

Aug 6, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #18 of 130
In the HD555 box, it says that the triangular peice is some sort of baffle designed to fit the ear or something.  I'll dig out the box and get the exact wording...

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #19 of 130
Ok received the five 555 headphones... They sure are very nice, although I have serious reservatiosn with the choice of the 6,3mm female to 3,4mm male converter plug!! These are notorious for wrecking sockets!!

Solved that with an adapter cable now...

Still no answers from Sennheiser...

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #20 of 130
Just to get something clear in my head...both the 555 and 595 has the same plastic enclosure and the drivers are the same size also, right? 
now the hd 515 has the same size plastic enclosure also and same headband (not the cushions) so practically the element of a 595 would fit in the enclosure of the 515? because the inner design is the same for the three from pictures i have seen... 
and the cables are the same for the group (correct me if i'm wrong) . 
so except for drivers being different only the outer mesh is different? (and the thing in the 555 on the inner plastic mesh)

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #21 of 130
I just kept fogetting to call Sennheiser, but I just did and the element they deliver as spare part is identical for the 555 and the 595... Partnumber 512807 for the left side....

Then I have to admit it is a ridiculous price difference for the whole headphones!!!

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #23 of 130
I couldn't really find the drivers/element to buy in shops even on the internet. 
The one shop i did find, for the price it was better to buy a new pair. 
So there is no way to get the elements other then from Sennheiser? 
the parts are not even listed on the Sennheiserusa shop.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #24 of 130
No, these are non end user available parts, and indeed if shops would sell them with the same margin as the phones they would become quite expensive, about 35 to 40 dollars a piece I'd think...

I can get them cheaper...:wink:

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #25 of 130
Wow, what an informative thread.
I'm definitely going to cancel my order for the 2011 Lincoln Navigator, and get the Ford Expedition, instead, right?

While I'm at it, I'm gonna Some Polk Audio Speakers, instead of the Def Techs, 'cause the guy who started DT used to be w/ Polk, and they look the same, anyways, right.
I think I really got shafted, because my Xonar STX has a C-Media chip, and I couldda got a DX cheaper, huh?
Ya know, that new set of Shure IEM's just might have the same driver as the old ones, Damn!!!

STOP!!!!

The 595 is NOT the 555 is NOT the 515.

And don't even get me started on the 598's, eekk!

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #26 of 130
Ignorant poster ... is ignorant.

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #29 of 130
recorder, you call this thread sarcastically informative. Yet, all you do is say "no, no, no" without providing any kind of information... and now calling me ignorant.

This is what I call ignorance, irony and making a fool of oneself. Sorry, but if all what you want to say it is "it's not the same" then I have to disappoint you, because we already know that.
You don't own a 595 by any chance, do you?
Crawl back! 
tongue.gif

@Trysaeder: guess so, heh

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #30 of 130

Quote:
Wow, what an informative thread.
I'm definitely going to cancel my order for the 2011 Lincoln Navigator, and get the Ford Expedition, instead, right?

While I'm at it, I'm gonna Some Polk Audio Speakers, instead of the Def Techs, 'cause the guy who started DT used to be w/ Polk, and they look the same, anyways, right.
I think I really got shafted, because my Xonar STX has a C-Media chip, and I couldda got a DX cheaper, huh?
Ya know, that new set of Shure IEM's just might have the same driver as the old ones, Damn!!!

STOP!!!!

The 595 is NOT the 555 is NOT the 515.

And don't even get me started on the 598's, eekk!

I'm confused, Mr. Recorder. If the drivers are the same, and we know the part numbers are the same; and the housing is the same, and we can clearly see it is, then in what way are they different once that piece of blocking foam is removed? The only thing left that I can see is the cable, and while that looks and feels the same, there is a slight chance the 595 uses a better cable. However, I've owned both headphones several times over the years and I'm unable to pick a difference between a modified 555 and a 595. Hell, I'm flat out picking a difference between a non-modified 555 and a 595, which isn't that surprising given that the foam piece is too small to make a significant difference. It could even be argued that the un-modified 555 has a slightly flatter FR if we can believed the graphs. As for the 515, that's a completely different model and uses a different driver with different part number--end of story.

What are you getting so steamed up about anyway?     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back