Sennheiser HD540 Reference I Manual
Nov 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

harry015

New Head-Fier
Looking through  a group of manuals and repair manuals on some of my older audio gear, I was surprised to find the original manual for the above headphones. I also found the very skimpy manuals for the Stax SR-Gamma 'phones and the SRD-7/SB and SRD-6/SB adaptors (1 manual).

The full HD540 manual is written in 5 languages, with additional 2 year warranty information. If anyone is interested, I can scan the relevant pages and send them by email.

I have already scanned the front/back covers, and the page 2 illo's and the 2 page instructions in English.

Is there a suitable place to put the group of illustrations? I'm new to the board, and don't want to put all these in a post, and anger any of the members.

Thanks,
Harry

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 12
I've posted the 5 pages already scanned of the manual, front and back cover, page 2 illustrations, and the English two page section, manual tips page 5 and specs page 6. Other pages, German, French, Italian and Spanish, are available. They will be posted to this album on request.

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi harry015,

There is a whole thread about the 540 Ref I (almost 60 pages):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/670255/wow-sennheiser-hd-540-reference-are-so-good

Original manual (PDF):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7985007/Head-Fi/Sennheiser%20HD%20540%20Reference%20-%20User-s%20Guide%20%28original%29.pdf

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 12
  Hi harry015,

There is a whole thread about the 540 Ref I (almost 60 pages):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/670255/wow-sennheiser-hd-540-reference-are-so-good

Original manual (PDF):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7985007/Head-Fi/Sennheiser%20HD%20540%20Reference%20-%20User-s%20Guide%20%28original%29.pdf

Hi Hairspray,

Interesting manual, thanks for posting the link to me. This one is evidently for the HD540Ref II, as it is shown as 300 ohms, rather than the 600 that the reference I was released using. If you check my photo of the back cover, the manual was printed in Oct 1986. The manual in Dropbox shows a printing in Jan 1991, and may not have had the page citing the 2 year warranty. The one I have shown was, I believe, the first version of the manual.

Harry

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 12
  This is the original manual that came with my 600 ohm 540 Ref I.
I bought them in 1987 or something.
I scanned the manual, it's not a copy from the internet.
The "1/91" has nothing to do with the release date.

I'm not trying to argue... Please stop and read. The back cover of the manual has the date the manual was printed. Mine that I scanned has the date 10/86 (October 1986. Yours was printed 1/91 (Jan 1991). How did you receive it in 1987? If you read the manual, under specs it clearly states 300 ohm. Please refer to your manual. I never stated that you copied it from the internet, or that it was other than what I can read.

I thought this was a friendly group. The 1/91 has nothing to do with the release date, but it has everything to do with when the manual was printed.

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 12

I'm not trying to argue... Please stop and read. The back cover of the manual has the date the manual was printed. Mine that I scanned has the date 10/86 (October 1986. Yours was printed 1/91 (Jan 1991). How did you receive it in 1987? If you read the manual, under specs it clearly states 300 ohm. Please refer to your manual. I never stated that you copied it from the internet, or that it was other than what I can read.

I thought this was a friendly group. The 1/91 has nothing to do with the release date, but it has everything to do with when the manual was printed.

Ok man, no problem.
I bought the Ref I in 86 or 87, why would I lie about that?
You are probably right about the PDF though: I just checked for my original manual but couldn't find it (I probably downloaded a more recent version, I don't know).
Anyway, just scan your '86 original version of the manual and share it with us.

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 12
Going to hijack the manual thread to ask, does anybody have an impression on the 540's vs the 420's? I just picked up the HD420's on a whim and I'm really enjoying them, might actually end up using them for a frankencan mod in the future. But I'm currently watching a set of 540's on Ebay, and was wondering what a good price to watch for would be, or if it's even worth the jump?

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 12
I don't have any experience with the 420, but the 540 was one of Senns lead HP when it was released. They have many exponents, and many of us enjoy them, overall, as much or more than more recent offerings, even priced considerably higher. Not knowing your musical tastes, or how you like your music to sound, it's impossible to make a firm statement. I can say that I, for one, consider a well cared for example to be among the best ways to enjoy a wide range of music. I don't think they will satisfy the heavy bass requirements of many in the rock or metal group, but they are what I listen to most, to classical that includes Beethoven and Mozart, Vivaldi and Stravinsky, Brahms and Mahler, to name a few contrasting composers.

They make music very enjoyable and interesting to me, because they don't intrude on what was actually performed. I love the naturalness and flow.

Your mileage may vary, but I think you'll enjoy them, especially if they are from a "good home", and are priced realistically.

Harry

HAIRSPRAY:

I wasn't inferring that you were lying about when you bought your 540's, just commenting that the manual you showed couldn't have been with them when purchased. Those printer codes are very handy in dating a lot of literature. In the Camera field, companies like Canon have dated (mo./yr.) their manuals and advertising brochures since the 40's, even putting a code indicating the number of copies printed, like 5k or 25k, which gives an idea of scarcity for collectors. Any printer date establishes a useful date. I noticed in the case of my Stax SR-Gamma's that the code is 86-7-1k, similar to the Canon gear.

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #10 of 12
  Going to hijack the manual thread to ask, does anybody have an impression on the 540's vs the 420's? I just picked up the HD420's on a whim and I'm really enjoying them, might actually end up using them for a frankencan mod in the future. But I'm currently watching a set of 540's on Ebay, and was wondering what a good price to watch for would be, or if it's even worth the jump?

I looked at the auction you light be considering. These are an early pair, with what appear to be velour pads, and the early type headband. The pads would have been replacements, just like mine are. I did note that the 3rd pic, showing the pads, the finger on the right seems to be compressing the pad more than it should. There may be a problem with the foam degrading, which would need replacement. Otherwise, they look good for their age.. probably from the late 80's.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back