Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Feb 3, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #886 of 1,140
Can't say about the HD 518 but I have the HD 558 and it's very comfortable. First night I had it wore it for 3 or so hours with no problems.
It's on sale at the big A for $89.98. today.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B004FEEY9A

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #887 of 1,140
  I'm thinking of buying the HD518 or HD558 for movies, plugged into my A/ receiver. Which one would be better for movies? Is either one more comfortable, or have more ear space and depth? Do they both have large soundstages? Thanks for any advice.

Comfort: the HD558 has the same soft valour earpads as the HD598, but the HD518 has stiffer cloth earpads which are not as comfortable. Ear space wise they are roughly similar since they use the same body and earpad design.
Sound: I remember the HD558 to be a significant improvement sonic wise over the HD518 in my comparisons, when switching from the HD518 to the HD558 it felt as if i had taken a blanket off the speakers with its significantly more layered and wider soundstage along with some improvements in detail, though the HD518 is darker sounding while the HD558 sounds more neutral airing slightly to the dark side.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #892 of 1,140
I think burn-in exists, but as kuhchuk has suggested, it is your brain that does the burning in. Far more likely and probable explanation than your gear changing dramatically.

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #893 of 1,140
  My HD558 is due tomorrow. How much burn-in is needed? Do I set volume to normal listening level? Thanks.

I've had mine for a little over a week. They do sound better with time. Just use them as you normally would no special burn-in needed IMO. Just enjoy them I sure am.

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #895 of 1,140
New HD598 owner. I like them well enough so far, but I feel like they fit too loose on my head. Like, there's not enough clamp around the ears. If I put them on, look at the floor, and move my head in a side-to-side "no" motion, they slide right off. Is this normal? 

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #896 of 1,140
I believe in burn in. Grados benefit a lot from burn in, but having owned both the 558 and the 598, as well as frequently used a friend's 518 at work, I don't think they will improve much with time, or at all.

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #897 of 1,140
New HD598 owner. I like them well enough so far, but I feel like they fit too loose on my head. Like, there's not enough clamp around the ears. If I put them on, look at the floor, and move my head in a side-to-side "no" motion, they slide right off. Is this normal? 

Nope,maybe adjust the headband a bit tighter. The hd 598 or 558 is not a very tighly-safe fit, so it will move when you make too much movement

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #898 of 1,140

Burn in is a myth.  It's a placebo effect.

No, it isn't.
At first, my HD598's sounded, well, quite bad. But now, after uncountable number of playing hours they are much more detailed, open and separates miles better. And yes, I clearly remember how they sounded first day.
In fact, almost every piece of audio gear benefits from burn in. Even electronics, cables, capacitors, let alone headphone membrane which mechanically vibrates..

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #899 of 1,140
  I think burn-in exists, but as kuhchuk has suggested, it is your brain that does the burning in. Far more likely and probable explanation than your gear changing dramatically.

Thank you for the support, but I think the general concensus for the meaning of burn-in refers to the gear changing, not your brain adjusting.  :p

No, it isn't.
At first, my HD598's sounded, well, quite bad. But now, after uncountable number of playing hours they are much more detailed, open and separates miles better. And yes, I clearly remember how they sounded first day.
In fact, almost every piece of audio gear benefits from burn in. Even electronics, cables, capacitors, let alone headphone membrane which mechanically vibrates..

Let's break this down one step at a time.

1.)  You do not remember how your gear sounded more than a few minutes ago.  Our brains aren't equipped to store exact waveforms for more than a few seconds.
2.)  If your HD598's didn't sound "good" to you on day one, that's because you weren't used to how they sound.  After your brain adjusted to them, you started to enjoy them more.  There is also no evidence that "burn-in" does anything to change how headphones sound.  People have tested this by taking a brand new set of cans and measuring the frequency response before and after hours upon hours of burn-in.  Any "change" in the plots were easily within margin of error, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyways.
3.)  No, none of your gear should benefit from burn-in.  Cables are the least likely to require burn in.  There is no physical or chemical change that could occur in your cables to make them sound any better or worse (and that's assuming cables make any difference at all (which they don't)). 
4.)  The only change that could be made in a capacitor is it's slow degradation towards death.  If you think you can hear this, you're mistaken.

Any piece of electronics these days should be made with parts that are of high enough quality to work properly from day one.  If and when a certain part does require some sort of "burn-in" time, this should be done AT THE FACTORY.  If not, then the manufacturer is either A.) Doing a ****ty job and cutting corners, or B.) Lying to you so you keep the gear past the window for their return policy.

Another thing to note is that proponents of burn-in almost universally say their gear sounds better over time.  Surely, if burn-in were real, there would be people who thought their gear sounded great at day one, and actually disliked the changes in their gear after it was burned in.  This is a damning piece of evidence in itself, even if you disregard the actual research that has been done about the topic.

And to wrap this up, let me use an analogy.
Do you believe that your monitor looks better over time?  Does your router speed up?  Does your computer crunch numbers faster? 
No?  They don't?  Why not?  According to you, even solid state circuitry performs better after some burn-in time.  If that were the case, ALL of your electronics would perform differently over time, and not just negatively as parts degrade.

Feb 7, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #900 of 1,140
  My HD558 is due tomorrow. How much burn-in is needed? Do I set volume to normal listening level? Thanks.

Put them on your head..................and enjoy. No burn-in required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back