Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 HD559 HD589 HD579 HD599 Support Thread
Oct 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #406 of 1,140
  I guess the HD 598 is discontinued huh? They don't appear on Sennheiser site. 558 are there though. Guess that's why the 598 are being discounted here & there. I am new to the 598 & I enjoy them immensely. Glad I was able to pick up a pair at such a good price. Life is good! 

Cheers,
kev

Well, seems like I was looking at the German site & didn't see the HD 598. They do appear on the US site. Has this always been the case? Were they only for the US market?

k

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #408 of 1,140
  Oh.. YOU!

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones-audio-stereo-hifi-hd-598

I'm pretty sure you can get sennheisers everywhere. I can't see the 5x8 line being discontinued for at least a while yet. The 598's are just oh so sexy!! lol

This started when I clicked on the Sennheiser Sponsor page link over on the right of this page.
http://www.head-fi.org/sennheiser
The HD 598 are not listed? Just thought maybe it was trying to tell us something.

Cheers,
kev 

Edit: 
OK, they showed up if you select "show all". Turns out the 598 are listed under "Home Audio", with the wireless cans & not under "High End".

???,
k

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #411 of 1,140
Their categorizing is a bit funny. And no way they are going to cut their HD518,558,598 just yet. It's doing well, especially their 2 higher models. Their HD600 and HD650 and also the HD25 II which is much older is still going strong too.

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #413 of 1,140

Then what are they?

I am looking for a cheaper replacement for my HD650's.

Thanks

The HD558 is darker than the HD598. But both offer a very vocal centric sound with a lighter tap on the bass than the HD650. The HD558 has a smaller soundstage and a more concentrated bass than the HD598 which has a bigger soundstage, spread out bass, with a focus on the upper mids and mid treble. They both have a bigger soundstage than the HD650. You could say that the main difference is that the HD650 feels concentrated,thick and rich while the HD598 feels more light and airy, and the HD558 not so light and airy with more impact.

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #414 of 1,140
Hi guys,

New to the headphone world and had a question about the isolation of the HD558.  I went to Best Buy and listened to these and did enjoy the sound, however I would be using them in an office and am wondering just how loud they are externally?  I was unable to tell in person with other background noise, but was hoping someone might have some information.  I don't want to disturb anyone, but the type of sound open headphones produce is very appealing.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #415 of 1,140
  Hi guys,

New to the headphone world and had a question about the isolation of the HD558.  I went to Best Buy and listened to these and did enjoy the sound, however I would be using them in an office and am wondering just how loud they are externally?  I was unable to tell in person with other background noise, but was hoping someone might have some information.  I don't want to disturb anyone, but the type of sound open headphones produce is very appealing.

These are open back cans so isolation is not something you can expect. You will hear what is around you and those around you will become familiar with your musical tastes. They do sound very nice and are easy to drive. Most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between HD558 and the HD598. There is an easy mod that you can do, remove a black rubber strip from inside the earcup, that will make them sound even closer to the HD598. I think, considering the SQ, that they are a steal for the price. Not too long ago BB had them on sale, so between that and the rewards points I had, I got them for around $120. I did the mod. They sound surprisingly nice compared to my HD600's. I use them when I don't want to drag an HD600 + amp around. I can use them at my office as there is adequate distance between workstations as not to annoy others.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #416 of 1,140
  These are open back cans so isolation is not something you can expect. You will hear what is around you and those around you will become familiar with your musical tastes. They do sound very nice and are easy to drive. Most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between HD558 and the HD598. There is an easy mod that you can do, remove a black rubber strip from inside the earcup, that will make them sound even closer to the HD598. I think, considering the SQ, that they are a steal for the price. Not too long ago BB had them on sale, so between that and the rewards points I had, I got them for around $120. I did the mod. They sound surprisingly nice compared to my HD600's. I use them when I don't want to drag an HD600 + amp around. I can use them at my office as there is adequate distance between workstations as not to annoy others.

Thanks for the help.  I think the open style might be an issue unfortunately, our office is not super quiet but I wouldn't want people to have to hear my music.  I do like the Sennheiser sound and the HD558s were incredibly comfortable.  I might see if they offer something comparable that is closed.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #417 of 1,140
  Thanks for the help.  I think the open style might be an issue unfortunately, our office is not super quiet but I wouldn't want people to have to hear my music.  I do like the Sennheiser sound and the HD558s were incredibly comfortable.  I might see if they offer something comparable that is closed.

You are not likely to find a closed can that has the same soundstage. I also have a pair of Momentums (original around the ear) and like them. Compared to the HD558, the Momentums have a little more bass, the treble is laid back a drop and they are a bit pricier. Your office peers will not be disturbed.  If you are interested make sure that your ears fit comfortably inside the cups, so an in person audition is advised.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #418 of 1,140
  Hi guys,

Unless your office is very, very quiet, the sound leakage would not likely be heard beyond about 6 or 8 feet. That said, it also depends on how loud you play your music. Still, the leaked sound doesn't carry very far in many environments.
k

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #419 of 1,140
The HD558 is darker than the HD598. But both offer a very vocal centric sound with a lighter tap on the bass than the HD650. The HD558 has a smaller soundstage and a more concentrated bass than the HD598 which has a bigger soundstage, spread out bass, with a focus on the upper mids and mid treble. They both have a bigger soundstage than the HD650. You could say that the main difference is that the HD650 feels concentrated,thick and rich while the HD598 feels more light and airy, and the HD558 not so light and airy with more impact.
Thanks.

Sounds pretty good for 130 shipped from Amazon. Am I missing something?

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #420 of 1,140
Thanks.

Sounds pretty good for 130 shipped from Amazon. Am I missing something?

Yeah, the cans. You don't have them yet. 
biggrin.gif
  Like I've said, I have HD558 (modded) and HD600's. I think the HD558's as is unmodified, are rather good and for that price, a superior purchase. The mod takes 5 minutes and even if you don't do it, they still sound great.
Edit: Hmmm, I think I'll use them right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back