Sennheiser HD25 or Audio Technica ATH ES7
Apr 11, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #16 of 27
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3462.asp
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 27
Wow, even as a ES7 fan myself, I have to say, out of the right system (good cable upgrade, amped), I think the HD25-1 clearly establishes itself as the "better" headphone. Yes, it's mids are recessed straight out of the box, though the system helps a lot with that, but the ES7 just doesn't give the same level of performance in terms of resolution and fidelity that the HD25-1 is capable of. Also, even straight out of the box, the HD25-1 may be your sound more than the ES7.

But I like the ES7 a lot. It's not a high-fi headphone, at least as I consider the term. The HD25-1 is closer to being high-fi (though I still don't think it's that high-fi in the grand scheme of things).

Personally, I think if I just wanted one can to listen to straight out of an iPod, I'd choose the ES7. If I was planning and committed to building a system around a portable-closed rig, I'd seriously consider the HD25-1, but would want a plan as to the rest of the rig. Sasaki-san here on head-fi has a most excellent rig for it, and I'd speak to him if I were interested in pursuing this route.

Also, don't disregard the AKG K181DJ in these comparisons. It hangs quite nicely with these cans and is in the same general class as higher-end closed portable cans.

Best regards,

-Jason

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, don't disregard the AKG K181DJ in these comparisons. It hangs quite nicely with these cans and is in the same general class as higher-end closed portable cans.

interesting that you should mention the k181dj as it seems to get very little attention around here. it's actually a rather nice piece of gear with that natural sounding midrange that you often find with akgs and a nice sturdy feel to it, certainly much more so than the k81djs. and it has a detachable cable so it's easy to swap and try an aftermarket alternative. i was just listening to mine a little while ago and did some swapping with the es-7s, which i find to be a really fun little phone. gotta spend some more time playing that game to clarify the differences though.

Apr 16, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #19 of 27
The K181 is excellent indeed but a little bit too big for me to be used portably.

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K181 is excellent indeed but a little bit too big for me to be used portably.

Tao, i didn't realize that you had the k181s. might you be able to describe how it compares with the hd25-1, as that is a phone that has a long standing reputation around here.

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tao, i didn't realize that you had the k181s. might you be able to describe how it compares with the hd25-1, as that is a phone that has a long standing reputation around here.

Sorry for being lazy today as I just pasted what I wrote on them in an earlier review:
Quote:

The AKG K 181 DJ was released with the K 81 and based on my experience with the K 81,
my expectations were sky high. Could this possibly replace my Sennheiser HD 25-1?
Unfortunately, as good as the K181 turned out to be, it wasn’t meant to be the be-all-end-all
closed headphone.

First of all, it has some nice features: a mono/stereo switch and a switch for small/large club.
The “large club” option simply makes the bass unbearable however. These are very
convenient functions for a DJ. Size-wise, the K181 is much bigger than I thought it would be,
which makes portable usage rather difficult. It cannot be hung around the neck comfortably
and you’d probably need a healthy dose of self-confidence or complete neglect thereof to
wear this in public. One of the K181’s peculiar aspects is its mixture of supraaural and
circumaural earpads. They are big enough to be the latter but the hole to fit the ears in aren’t
big enough. I can’t say I’m a big fan of this hybrid design as it carries the advantages and
especially the disadvantages of both worlds. For one, even though isolation is good, it is too
big for portable usage and doesn’t offer the usually high comfort from circumaural
headphones. The soundstage also suffers from this. On the plus side, the earpads don’t extend
very far from the head and the sound is better compared to conventional supraaural
headphones. The cable is also too long for portable applications but quite nice when used
stationary. The K181 is also surprisingly efficient and while it does benefit from one, AKG’s
flagship closed headphone doesn’t need an amp to sound good. Its build quality is top notch.

Sound-wise, the K181 is truly excellent. The bass is tight and extended, the midrange clear
and detailed, and the treble both extended and natural sounding without any sign of harshness.
The tonal balance of the K181 is very good and close to what I’d call natural. Despite having
different sound signatures, I would put the K181 on par with the A900 as far as unamped
sound quality is concerned, and that says a lot. As already mentioned, the soundstage is not as
good as other fully circumaural headphones exhibit but still very good, especially with
regards to soundstage depth. Human voices have a sense of air and clarity as I have seldomly
heard from a closed headphone. As most AKG headphones, the AKG K181 doesn’t fall short
of transparency and resolution. And if you’re looking for impact, the K181 might not be the
first choice, but it does get your toes tapping when necessary. Compared to the AKG K K271,
the K 181 lacks in smoothness but overall, the K181 sounds like a much-improved K81 on all
levels. I liked it.

Summing up, I have somewhat mixed feelings about the K181. On the one hand, it is an
excellent sounding headphone with a lot of great features and aspects but due to a few killer
criteria, I just couldn’t find a permanent use for it. For stationary use, the comfort is too
lacking in my opinion and for portable usage, its big size is a major hindrance. If you don’t
have a problem with either of these two points, then the K181 might be just for you. If you
can live with its size, the K181 is the best-sounding portable headphone you can find and if
you don’t mind the comfort issues or work as a DJ, this is an excellent stationary headphone
with a portable flair. Just like the DT 660, depending on your needs, the K181 could be a
killer semi-portable headphone. Based on merits of sound quality alone, this is one of the best
in this review and I’m sure not few would find it to be the best.

Cutting it short, the K181 sounds better, even unamped, but is much less portable than the HD 25 due to its size.

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #23 of 27
How does the new ATH-ANC7 compare with the EW7s? Anyone know? I have the ANC7s and I have been enjoying them for work. I have some impression for them on another thread. The ANC7s cost me less than 150$ us shipped.

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gotta spend some more time playing that game to clarify the differences though.

I would appreciate your observations.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would appreciate your observations.
smily_headphones1.gif

i'll be happy to oblige, but it may take me a little while to get to it.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how's the isolation of k181? if it's like an open phone, ie px200. then i don't need this.

it's isolates well, hence the name k181dj.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back