Sennheiser HD25-II vs AKG K172 HD, or any other suggestions.
Aug 2, 2011 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Triple X

Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am looking for some closed back on ear headphones for around $200. I can find very little info on the AKG K172 HD's, and I would appreciate opinions and comparisons. I have stalked the forums and the internet as a whole and found next to nothing 
confused.gif

Also, I have used a few different Senn models, and find the sound signature to be a tad boring, but I've heard the HD25's are something different. 

Alternative suggestions are also welcome.
My criteria are:

1: Sound Quality - Must have a good balance and not too warm or cold a tone.
2: Comfort - I must be able to wear them for a couple of hours with minimum discomfort.
3: Style - They gotta look good 
atsmile.gif

Many thanks,

Matt.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 11
I think the reason you're not finding much on the AKG's is because they are the 272HD. 
(Rather than 172HD.)

Anyway, I had the previous model, the 271 MK II.
My understanding is that the 272HD is essentially the same headphone.

For me, the bass was too light.
And the highs lacked sparkle.
Midrange was very good, and the phones are definitely very comfortable.

Currently I have the Senn HD 25 1 II, (among others, of course) and recommend them highly.
They're generally held in high regard here on the forum.

They fit your criteria very well as to sound and comfort.
If you like the way they look, they definitely deserve your serious consideration.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 11
Yes, it is the K172's I'm looking at. The only problem I have with the HD25's is that they may sound too similar to other Senn models. Any thoughts? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again,

Matt.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 11
To which Senn models? Look up the HD 25-1 threads; you'll see that everyone agrees they sound different from the "veiled" sound signature Sennheiser is often known for.

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 11
HD448, HD407, CX880, CX400.
Awesome. Just wondering if I should take the lack of info on the AKG's as a bad sign? Are they under-appreciated or just not that great? I can't even find them on the AKG 'site :/
Also, what sort of sound do AKG's produce generally? I've never owned any. 

Thanks,
'til then,

Matt.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 11
Not familiar with those Senns, sorry.
On the AKG: didn't I link to the product page on their site?
No, I wouldn't take the lack of discussion on the K172 as bad sign; Head-Fi is not the final word on headphones, for eg we're predominantly enthusiasts not professionals, so we are skewed away from pro gear.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I think the reason you're not finding much on the AKG's is because they are the 272HD. 

Quote:
But there is a 172HD. As OP specified, he's comparing on-ear headphones--that 172 is on-ear, whereas the 272 you are referring to is around-ear.
http://www.akg.com/personal/K%20172%20HD,pcp_id,275,pid,839,_psmand,12.html

My apologies for assuming that the OP meant the 272HD's.
Everyone was very reasonable in not raking me over the coals too much for that one.

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 11
A quick summary of what I know currently.

Sennheiser HD25-1 II:
Very 'in-your-face' sound
Fast, punchy bass
Occasionally sibilant
Quite comfortable, if a bit clampy

AKG K172HD (Based on K272HD):

More laid back than the Senn's
yet still quite rich

I think I'm gonna go for the HD25's, mainly because of the strength of the reviews on here and the lack of information on the AKG's.
owever I won't be buying yet so feel free to carry on adding thoughts :)

Matt.

P.S. Would the HD25's need to be amped if being driven by my phone?

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #10 of 11
Which phone? I think they generally do just fine out of most sources, but can scale as need be. These cans were designed to be versatile--for the DJ on the go, for the music producer on the go, for the sound engineer on the go, which translates to a lot of possible variation of source quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back