Sennheiser HD25-1 ii, why do people like these? It's nasty !
Jan 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #61 of 78

Quote:
Sorry what? These have plenty of treble.

I'm just saying that these are mid-centric headphones. I'm talking about the dip at 5-6khz which most likely keeps it from being sibilant. However I find that the treble response (and resolution) seems superior on say, Superlux HD668b. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #62 of 78
It sounds like the OP isn't getting a good fit?

Regardless, though, weight /= build quality.  Quite the opposite, actually.  I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions people have about headphones.  

Also headphones tend to handle regular use better when they have fewer parts because there are less points wherein wear can occur.

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #63 of 78
I tend to agree.  I was suspect when I first put hands on mine.  But living with them as proven I need not worry.  They aren't sexy looking, but they get the job done for me.

With that said, I'm still curious about the Beyer DT1350s...

Quote:
It sounds like the OP isn't getting a good fit?

Regardless, though, weight /= build quality.  Quite the opposite, actually.  I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions people have about headphones.  

Also headphones tend to handle regular use better when they have fewer parts because there are less points wherein wear can occur.

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #64 of 78
Yeah, I think he meant in the context of comparing what a perfect headphone would be. You wouldn't expect perfect anything on a sub $200 closed can that was designed for ENG.

Quote:
I'm just saying that these are mid-centric headphones. I'm talking about the dip at 5-6khz which most likely keeps it from being sibilant. However I find that the treble response (and resolution) seems superior on say, Superlux HD668b. 

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #65 of 78
 I have the HD 25 1 II now for six months and i really enjoy them. I did some small mods to it but nothing drastically.
First the cable contact noise really annoyed me so i  reversed the earcups and swiched to the standard HD600 cable. This reduced the contact noice by at least half. (some may call it microphonics but i mean mechanical contact noise transferred via the cable to the earcup)
The sound quality is decent via Clip or Android Device but sound twice as good when amplified (any small amp will do).
I did find the HD 25 a bit bass heavy (i listen to classical, Jazz, and pop) so i did squeeze a small amount of dampening in the earcups. (am not sure if it works since the earcups are not 100% sealed, there is sone leakage)
I have traveled with them in planes, trains and busses and it had not let me down. I can squeeze them into any bag or backpack and it will not break.

Lee

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #66 of 78
LOL Am I the only who actually finds them pretty attractive with their industrial, no-nonsense, a little 80's look?

They suit my clothing style and overall design preferences a hell of a lot more than most headphones - in particular these celebrity whackphones... I don't know but I can't stand the looks of some phones, especially the new Tron headphone from Monster - way to destroy a classic, numbnuts. V-Modas are really bad looking as well... Looks like something Fred Durst would've wanted to design while screaming "Yeah, we're hard, we're NU-METAL!!!1"

Anyway, the HD25-1 II is one hell of a good looking headphone to me! LOL

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #67 of 78

Quote:
LOL Am I the only who actually finds them pretty attractive with their industrial, no-nonsense, a little 80's look? [...]

I've always been a fan of utilitarian designs. Sure they fall a bit short looks wise when compared to[size=small] Tycho Magnetic Anomaly 1, but I find them alright. However utility is where TMA-1 falls short compared to all user, no-tools-needed, all parts readily available design of Sennheiser. Sure, its prettier, but being 20 years old sometimes has its benefits.[/size]

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #68 of 78

Quote:
I've always been a fan of utilitarian designs. Sure they fall a bit short looks wise when compared to[size=small] Tycho Magnetic Anomaly 1, but I find them alright. However utility is where TMA-1 falls short compared to all user, no-tools-needed, all parts readily available design of Sennheiser. Sure, its prettier, but being 20 years old sometimes has its benefits.[/size]

Yeah, I agree that the TMA-1 are a little better looking. But it's only by a small margin. I still find the HD25 more attractive than most headphones out there.

As for utilitarian: I can't really think of any other headphone that has ALL parts replacable in the way the Senns have it. There's eally no beating that, IMO. They should be modders wet dreams tbh..

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #69 of 78
I liked the HD25 but I preferred the more refined K181. Even so on sound quality alone I rate the PX200 II higher than the HD25. 

Thing is, the HD25 sounds fun and still sounds decent enough for a lot of music and add its durable design which leads to one conclusion: it is still a good product for the price. 

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #70 of 78
Aren't the TMA-1 meant to be slightly dark and muffled sounding? I would like to give them a listen but I like a bit of sparkle on my cymbal crashes. HD25 does EDM very well I think.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #71 of 78
The TMA-1 out does the HD 25 for EDM, IMO. It's what it does best. 

When you add an amp to the chain (I used the Arrow 4G) it really 'unveils' the sound from the TMA-1. At least that's what it did to my ears. They're a fantastic little headphone if you listen to primarily EDM. I like the HD 25 for most other genres a little more though.

Quote:
Aren't the TMA-1 meant to be slightly dark and muffled sounding? I would like to give them a listen but I like a bit of sparkle on my cymbal crashes. HD25 does EDM very well I think.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #72 of 78

Quote:
The TMA-1 out does the HD 25 for EDM, IMO. It's what it does best. 

When you add an amp to the chain (I used the Arrow 4G) it really 'unveils' the sound from the TMA-1. At least that's what it did to my ears. They're a fantastic little headphone if you listen to primarily EDM. I like the HD 25 for most other genres a little more though.

Does an amp help against the "dark and muffled" sound? Is that what you mean?

I've been meaning to audition them, simply because I listen primarily (almost exclusively) to electronic music of some sorts, EDM, synthpop, etc. and in a way I like the brighter sound on the HD25 for just that. My Pro 900 are a little fuller, darker and warmer sounding (it could very well be my old integrated amp putting some warmth in there, supposedly they should be cold and analytic) and I find the D2000 a little more "neutral" (not as in 'neutral', but as in between bright and dark), so I kind of like the brightness of the HD25 as contrast. However, aren't we all searching for improvements? So, what makes the TMA-1 better than HD25 for electronic kind of music?

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #73 of 78
The bass (to my ears) has more texture and weight than the HD 25 did while retaining that same great punch. They're more comfortable and stylish as well (IMO). Isolation suffers a bit, but they still isolate pretty well. 

And yes to the bold statement. That's what I meant. It opens up the sound when paired with the right amp, but I think synergy is key. Maybe a 'bright' amp like the NuForce Icon Mobile. 

Quote:
Does an amp help against the "dark and muffled" sound? Is that what you mean?

I've been meaning to audition them, simply because I listen primarily (almost exclusively) to electronic music of some sorts, EDM, synthpop, etc. and in a way I like the brighter sound on the HD25 for just that. My Pro 900 are a little fuller, darker and warmer sounding (it could very well be my old integrated amp putting some warmth in there, supposedly they should be cold and analytic) and I find the D2000 a little more "neutral" (not as in 'neutral', but as in between bright and dark), so I kind of like the brightness of the HD25 as contrast. However, aren't we all searching for improvements? So, what makes the TMA-1 better than HD25 for electronic kind of music?

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #75 of 78

Quote:
The bass (to my ears) has more texture and weight than the HD 25 did while retaining that same great punch. They're more comfortable and stylish as well (IMO). Isolation suffers a bit, but they still isolate pretty well. 

And yes to the bold statement. That's what I meant. It opens up the sound when paired with the right amp, but I think synergy is key. Maybe a 'bright' amp like the NuForce Icon Mobile. 

Okay, would EQ:ing on a source with an E11 do the trick as well? As for comfortable.. I'm kind of afraid they might not be so comfortable. It's kind of like with my D2000 - the clamping force tends to be on the loose side which subconsciously causes me to keep my head straight (although not needed) because of fear of them falling off my head. Not especially comfortable, particularly for my neck muscles. In that case I'd rather deal with the clamping force of the HD25; that way I know they'll stay on my head at least.

But I think I need to try them some day anyway.. To see if they're really that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back