Sennheiser HD25-1 II vs. Beyer Dynamic DT770
Apr 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Derlus

New Head-Fier
I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD25-1 II for a while now and I thought I'd finally made up my mind when the Beyer Dynamic DT770s went on sale on Amazon for about the same price. I realize one's on ear and one's over ear but other than that, what are the differences? I'd mainly like to know about the differences in build quality and sound. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 20
First of all, size is a huge difference. The HD25s are "made" for portable use and they are by far the most durable headphone I have ever purchased in my life. I wouldn't expect the Beyers to be bad quality because they are german as well (massive stereotyping haha). Sound wise, I only own the HD25s and I only tried the Beyers once before so I can't exactly compare the two. HD25 in a nutshell is a V-shaped sound with emphasized bass (more mid bass) and highs, while the Mids are neutral.

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 20
Both survived my recent trip to asia (and being just casually chucked in and out into my backpack throughout) and came out without a scratch. Both are quite durable, but I'd say HD25's more so as DT's do have exposed cables that are unremovable (unlike that HD25's which are).

The sound is similarly bit sharp in the highs, HD25's are more forward in mids and the DT770's have more low bass emphasis.

*Please do note that I'm comparing the HD25-1 II's to the DT770 Pro 80 version.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 20
hd25 is made in Ireland iirc (along with 600, 650, 700) all other Senns are made in China.

Beyer is still all made in Germany (except for the low end ones) mid-fi like like 770s and up are all still made in Germany!  That being said their whole product line is VERY well made and durable.  However, the 770/80 are a little too bassy for most of my music.  They aren't "crunchy" enough in the high end for classic rock and they are too compressed (soundstage-wise) / bassy for classical / vocal.  Overall they're good for dance / electronic / rap, but sadly I didn't notice until after I bought them that I don't listen to any music like that!  haha I just wanted some bassy cans, and they certainly are, but they just are no fun imo (bass =/= fun for me).

Can't comment on hd25 though sorry =/

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 20
Hey OP! I just noticed you're from Vancity! If you haven't already, try checking out Headphonebar! Just simply give him a call or go to their site. His name is Travis.

May 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 20
Hi guys.... :)
Lets's revive this thread...

Right now my current headphones are the hd25's and i also had the over ear momentums a couple of weeks ago but i soldthem because of fit/seal issues (best sound (specially the resolution) i ever tried so far along with the hd25 though...)....

I use mostly my headphones on ipods and tablets with no amps... main music styles, some indie like radiohead or metronomy, stuff like coldplay or kings of leon, pop stuff, rock (artic monkeys, biffy clyro, etc...) and lots of edm (specially house, progressive and most of all trance).

I always had my eye on a pair of dt770's because i always saw artists using them a lot, specially on the radio 1 shows.... XD
Just like the hd25's they always had me curious and made me think they must be really good.... :)

I like clarity, something close too neutral, too much bass ruins stuff.... i dont like too much coloration on the sound (the mdr 1r was too warm too me and sounded muffled, the momentum too me are the perfect warmness since they have the amount of clarity i like but on the other hand i hate steryle sound.... i hated the akg k550's for instance....)....

Now that you guys know my tastes and the headphones i have been enjoying.... do you guys think i will like a pair of 32 or 80 ohm dt770s? Are they a good complimente for the hd25 (How do they compare?)?

Keep them coming... :)

Cheers.... :)

May 30, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 20
Unlike HD25, the DT770 has a huge soundstage. Bigger than HD600. That alone makes it worth having both. 
But DT770 have grating highs and less bass than HD25. I tried the 250 ohm version, the 80 ohm has more bass I believe. HD25 seems to be faster and a tiny bit more detailed. Though maybe that is because I can turn the volume higher on the HD25 without my ears being ripped apart by the highs.

May 30, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 20
Unlike HD25, the DT770 has a huge soundstage. Bigger than HD600. That alone makes it worth having both. 
But DT770 have grating highs and less bass than HD25. I tried the 250 ohm version, the 80 ohm has more bass I believe. HD25 seems to be faster and a tiny bit more detailed. Though maybe that is because I can turn the volume higher on the HD25 without my ears being ripped apart by the highs.

Hum.... I thought the highs on the dt770 (32 and 80 ohm) were more recessed than on the hd25...
A guy in here in portugal is selling a dt990 pro (250) for 90 euros but those from what ive heard have really anoying highs... (Also my interest on the 770 is bigger....)

Clarity.... Hows that on the dt770 compared eith the hd25? I thought they would be clear just like the hd25 but i already saw some posts complaining about them being muddy, muffled, etc, due to the recessed midrange..... True?

Sincerely i am not seeing much better option as an over ear for me.... Any suggestions? Already had the k550 as i said and didnt like because of the lack of bass and annoying highs, the ath m50 was ok but i found the mids too recessed and the treble was a bit weird (plastic sounding), mdr 1 r muffled and lacked bass rumble.... Upown o liked them but o think they are not as good right? Till 150 euros, over ear, good stage, low impedance and for my taste not easy right?:)

May 30, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #11 of 20
I have the DT770 limited edition 32 ohms.

Very nice and musical sounding, like them a lot and find them better than the M50. No grating highs for sure, I would always ask with which amp or DAC these highs were experienced. Never heard any of that with my DT770.

The DT770 is also much more comfortable than the m50. It's still an amazing headphone that is a very good partner for the HD25-1 II

May 30, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 20
I have the DT770 limited edition 32 ohms.

Very nice and musical sounding, like them a lot and find them better than the M50. No grating highs for sure, I would always ask with which amp or DAC these highs were experienced. Never heard any of that with my DT770.

The DT770 is also much more comfortable than the m50. It's still an amazing headphone that is a very good partner for the HD25-1 II

Hum... Tempting... How would the 32ohm dt770 perform only conected to a 4th gen ipod touch or a 1st gen nexus 7? I have no amps...

Also do you use velour or the pleather pads they came with? I always wanted to try the dt770 but some coments about beeing coloured in the sound, having boomy bass and recessed midrange (wich i hated on the m50) always left me thinking if they are right for me. As you guys can see from my last 3 pairs (v6, hd25,momentum) i am a guy who enjoys clarity and not very coloured sound. I also had the aurvana live and i liked the but they are already on the edge of coloration too me. More than that is muffled to my ears... :)

May 31, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 20
Hum... Tempting... How would the 32ohm dt770 perform only conected to a 4th gen ipod touch or a 1st gen nexus 7? I have no amps...

Also do you use velour or the pleather pads they came with? I always wanted to try the dt770 but some coments about beeing coloured in the sound, having boomy bass and recessed midrange (wich i hated on the m50) always left me thinking if they are right for me. As you guys can see from my last 3 pairs (v6, hd25,momentum) i am a guy who enjoys clarity and not very coloured sound. I also had the aurvana live and i liked the but they are already on the edge of coloration too me. More than that is muffled to my ears... :)

My iPad, iPhone and blackberry drive them just fine without an amp. There is a slight benefit from a good amp but not too much. The highs are very present, I did not hear a deficiency inn the mids with female vocals. They are not forward but also not really heavily recessed. That these headphones are used a lot in recording studios speaks in their favor.

May 31, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #14 of 20
My iPad, iPhone and blackberry drive them just fine without an amp. There is a slight benefit from a good amp but not too much. The highs are very present, I did not hear a deficiency inn the mids with female vocals. They are not forward but also not really heavily recessed. That these headphones are used a lot in recording studios speaks in their favor.

Do they fall short in terma of resolution when compared with the sennheiser momenyums ot even the hd25s?

I already know that the momentums are very refined so that is hard to beat.....

May 31, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #15 of 20
Do they fall short in terma of resolution when compared with the sennheiser momenyums ot even the hd25s?

I already know that the momentums are very refined so that is hard to beat.....

Hmmm, hard to say, need to do a side by side test, since I loaned my hd25s to a friend, this might take some time. I can however compare them not the Amperior.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back