Sennheiser HD25-1 II vs Audio Technica ATH-M50 for Trance/Electronic Music
Jun 19, 2011 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

xPro_MetheuSx

100+ Head-Fier
Hi my dear friends; I'm looking for a new portable headphone. I usually listen trance and electonic music but now I'm in dilemma with these two headphones. If you help me choosing best one for electronic music, I'll be grateful. I almost forget I'm using sansa clip v1 and teclast t51. Thank you so much.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 17
I would say from sheer portability, the HD 25-1 ii wins. It's smaller and lighter and basically one of the best portable headphones out there. Can be a little tight on the head though.

Sound wise they would both fare well with those genres. The Senns are a little more forward and punchier, the ATs more laid back, so it's personal preference. The Senns are more expensive also.

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 17
I owned both and I also owned several other closed cans around that price range. IMO HD25-1 and M50 are on about the same level overall. Both have strengths, but also some fairly serious flaws. HD25-1 has excellent detail resolution and a pretty balanced overall sound that works well for a lot of different music. However, it lacks smoothness, especially in the treble and bass definition and depth with the stock cable isn't all that great, even when it is amped. Don't get me wrong, HD25 has very good quality bass for a closed headphone of its size, but there are just better sounding closed headphones out there available at the same, or lower price. ATH-M50 delivers a much smoother sound than HD25, with a more even tonal balance in the mids and highs, but gives up quite a bit of micro detail compared to HD25, especially in the midrange. The detail resolution of M50 should be adequate for non critical listening though, such as general portable use in moderately loud environments, such as walking along a moderately busy street or riding a fairly quiet bus/train, where you won't be able to hear subtle details in your music anyway. In very loud places, such as the subway, over the ear closed headphones do not provide adequate isolation, not even the HD25  - you will want IEMs for that. M50 also has a better soundstage than HD25 - it is wider, deeper and with more realistic instrument placement/imaging, especially when they are amped and I think M50 really benefits from an amp a lot - more so than HD25. Unamped, the bass on M50 is generally not very good IMO - it is quite boomy and muddy compared to many other headphones in that price range or even cheaper ones. Well, that is unless you are using a very good DAP and I think a Teclast T51 should be good enough to drive M50 fairy well. When amped or driven by a good portable DAP., the low end on M50 tightens up significantly and becomes quite nice actually - very deep and punchy with decent detail. But still, even when amped, I think M50 can sound a bit unbalanced in the low end, with the lows intruding into the lower mids sometimes. Generally, I didn't not find this to be a serious issue though. I do think HD25 has better quality bass overall, but M50 does go deeper and provides a more satisfying impact for bass oriented genres, such as trance and electronic, so it may suit you better.

In that price range, there is also another nice, bassy can suitable for trance and electronic and that is the Shure SRH750 DJ. It's usually around $150 new, but you can find one for less than that. It is somewhere in between HD25-1 and M50 in portability - smaller than M50, but larger than HD25. Isolation is more similar to M50 - less than on HD25, but still decent. Build quality seems decent, but not as good as on HD25s, which are built like tanks. The SRH750 DJ sounds like a more refined ATH-M50 to my ears overall with a bit more bass and a slightly recessed midrange. Detail resolution is better on SRH750 than M50 and bass is more controlled, especially out of weak sources, like the Clip. With some music, SRH750 can get a bit too bright in the highs, but the treble is of better quality than on ATH-M50, with the former sounding more textured and organic and the latter more metallic and synthetic. Soundstage size is about similar between the two, but the Shures sound more open IMO, whereas M50 is more cupped in by comparison. Compared to HD25, SRH750 has a much larger, more airy soundstage. HD25 is more neutral in the bass and treble and more refined, but SRH750 is more neutral in the mids, smoother and more powerful sounding in the lows.

So in a nutshell:

M50: Smooth; laid back; dynamic; fairly neutral; scales really well with amping; well extended, but somewhat unnatural (metallic) highs; spacious, but somewhat cupped in soundstage; deep, punchy bass that needs some juice to tighten up, but regardless of source can sometimes get out of control and creep into the mids - doesn't happen often though; mediocre micro detail retrieval, but good separation; works best with bass oriented electronic music; not the best for vocals and real instruments; long burn in period ( at least 100 hours)

HD25-1: Excellent micro detail; great reproduction of vocals; good dynamics, a fairly neutral frequency response; bass is fairly tight, but lacks some definition and depth; highs are a bit peaky and slightly grainy, but well extended; doesn't scale as well with amp as M50, but amping it is still preferable; soundstage is small and closed in, but imaging is very nice and sharp; a good all arounder - works well with most music

SRH750 DJ: The best bass quality and extension of the three; Great treble extension; very even mids, but recessed compared to bass and treble; dynamic; very decent detail and great separation, but lacks some refinement compared to M50 and HD25; the most natural treble of the three, but a bit grainy and peaky compared to better headphones; a very good soundstage in openness, size and imaging; best suited for bass oriented music, but works well for most other genres too if one can tolerate the V-shaped frequency response or has good EQ on his source; doesn't need amping at all to sound great

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
I owned both and I also owned several other closed cans around that price range. IMO HD25-1 and M50 are on about the same level overall. Both have strengths, but also some fairly serious flaws. HD25-1 has excellent detail resolution and a pretty balanced overall sound that works well for a lot of different music. However, it lacks smoothness, especially in the treble and bass definition and depth with the stock cable isn't all that great, even when it is amped. Don't get me wrong, HD25 has very good quality bass for a closed headphone of its size, but there are just better sounding closed headphones out there available at the same, or lower price. ATH-M50 delivers a much smoother sound than HD25, with a more even tonal balance in the mids and highs, but gives up quite a bit of micro detail compared to HD25, especially in the midrange. The detail resolution of M50 should be adequate for non critical listening though, such as general portable use in moderately loud environments, such as walking along a moderately busy street or riding a fairly quiet bus/train, where you won't be able to hear subtle details in your music anyway. In very loud places, such as the subway, over the ear closed headphones do not provide adequate isolation, not even the HD25  - you will want IEMs for that. M50 also has a better soundstage than HD25 - it is wider, deeper and with more realistic instrument placement/imaging, especially when they are amped and I think M50 really benefits from an amp a lot - more so than HD25. Unamped, the bass on M50 is generally not very good IMO - it is quite boomy and muddy compared to many other headphones in that price range or even cheaper ones. Well, that is unless you are using a very good DAP and I think a Teclast T51 should be good enough to drive M50 fairy well. When amped or driven by a good portable DAP., the low end on M50 tightens up significantly and becomes quite nice actually - very deep and punchy with decent detail. But still, even when amped, I think M50 can sound a bit unbalanced in the low end, with the lows intruding into the lower mids sometimes. Generally, I didn't not find this to be a serious issue though. I do think HD25 has better quality bass overall, but M50 does go deeper and provides a more satisfying impact for bass oriented genres, such as trance and electronic, so it may suit you better.

In that price range, there is also another nice, bassy can suitable for trance and electronic and that is the Shure SRH750 DJ. It's usually around $150 new, but you can find one for less than that. It is somewhere in between HD25-1 and M50 in portability - smaller than M50, but larger than HD25. Isolation is more similar to M50 - less than on HD25, but still decent. Build quality seems decent, but not as good as on HD25s, which are built like tanks. The SRH750 DJ sounds like a more refined ATH-M50 to my ears overall with a bit more bass and a slightly recessed midrange. Detail resolution is better on SRH750 than M50 and bass is more controlled, especially out of weak sources, like the Clip. With some music, SRH750 can get a bit too bright in the highs, but the treble is of better quality than on ATH-M50, with the former sounding more textured and organic and the latter more metallic and synthetic. Soundstage size is about similar between the two, but the Shures sound more open IMO, whereas M50 is more cupped in by comparison. Compared to HD25, SRH750 has a much larger, more airy soundstage. HD25 is more neutral in the bass and treble and more refined, but SRH750 is more neutral in the mids, smoother and more powerful sounding in the lows.

So in a nutshell:

M50: Smooth; laid back; dynamic; fairly neutral; scales really well with amping; well extended, but somewhat unnatural (metallic) highs; spacious, but somewhat cupped in soundstage; deep, punchy bass that needs some juice to tighten up, but regardless of source can sometimes get out of control and creep into the mids - doesn't happen often though; mediocre micro detail retrieval, but good separation; works best with bass oriented electronic music; not the best for vocals and real instruments; long burn in period ( at least 100 hours)

HD25-1: Excellent micro detail; great reproduction of vocals; good dynamics, a fairly neutral frequency response; bass is fairly tight, but lacks some definition and depth; highs are a bit peaky and slightly grainy, but well extended; doesn't scale as well with amp as M50, but amping it is still preferable; soundstage is small and closed in, but imaging is very nice and sharp; a good all arounder - works well with most music

SRH750 DJ: The best bass quality and extension of the three; Great treble extension; very even mids, but recessed compared to bass and treble; dynamic; very decent detail and great separation, but lacks some refinement compared to M50 and HD25; the most natural treble of the three, but a bit grainy and peaky compared to better headphones; a very good soundstage in openness, size and imaging; best suited for bass oriented music, but works well for most other genres too if one can tolerate the V-shaped frequency response or has good EQ on his source; doesn't need amping at all to sound great

^^^^^^^ This. I own the both the HD 25-1 and M50, and what Pianist pretty much sums up both of the headphones. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
Consider the K181 if it appeals to you...

Oh yes, thanks for bringing it up. Man, how could I forget this one? That's another excellent choice. I preferred K181 to HD25 and M50 in sound quality - K181 sounds smoother, tighter in the bass, better extended than HD25-1 and more detailed and balanced than the M50 and it doesn't need an amp. It also has a similar isolation to HD25 and is just a little larger in size, but folds into a small, compact package unlike HD25 which cannot be folded. Build quality wise however, K181 didn't seem particularly well built to me. The hinges on which the earcups rotate in particular, seemed rather fragile. But the sound quality of K181 is definitely on a pretty high level and I wouldn't hesitate to grab it over HD25 and M50 as I do think it sounds better overall than those two.

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 17
It even has a 'large club' and 'small club' button. If you want a bit more sub bass, that button makes a lot of sense...

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
It even has a 'large club' and 'small club' button. If you want a bit more sub bass, that button makes a lot of sense...

I heard that the "large club" setting makes the bass sound bloated, but I haven't tested it myself.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #9 of 17
A bit more depth as in beats have more impact. The 'large club' setting even makes sense when listening to Classical music. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 17
I'm curious as to why the TMA-1's are not in the running here. I have heard all three of these phones (and own the m50) and I wouldn't really recommend the M50 for portable use. Oddly enough though, I can never find myself agreeing with most of the impressions I read of the M50, which makes me wonder if I got a bad sample - I find them a bit thin sounding, with pretty recessed mids - and at times the highs are a bit etched for some of the filters they use in electronic music. The TMA-1 I think is a great option for electronic - dynamic, punchy and detailed with real depth of bass, but with little chance of sibilance compared to the others.

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 17
Try the headphones if you can, I can recall the HD25 is also very likeable. The Pro700? There is some information on Head-Fi... (Possibly something with headphones for Metal.)

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #14 of 17
Until I read, this I was seriously considering getting the M50s but now I'm not so sure. What about the likes of the Senn. HD 595 or Pioneer HDJ-1000 DJ for electronic music...? I've heard great things about the Senns. but how do they fare against the M50's for fairly intensive elctronic stuff (hardstyle, techno, dubstep etc)??  
Many thanks
Windyridge4

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #15 of 17
I wouldn't recommend the HD595 for electronic music. The M50 does a better job. I can't comment on the Pioneer.

Could be worth looking at the Denon D1100 or Ultrasone HFI-580.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back