Sennheiser HD228 or HD238?
Sep 20, 2009 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

bbz123

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I'm thinking about getting a pair of new headphones, and am trying to decide between the HD228 and HD238's. I've heard the HD228's are better for noise isolation, but that the 238's sound more balanced, I was just wondering what you guys thought about the sound quality when comparing the two, and which you reckon would be a better buy? Is there a big difference in noise isolation between the two? I'm not fussed about the price difference, just want a good pair of portable cans, as theyre around the same price here in canada.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 24
yeah the isolation is not good on the 238. they're open. if ur using them somewhere noisy, you wont hear much improvement in SQ on the 238 over 228. Get the 228 unless you live at a farm.

Sep 20, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 24
The 238 are definitely a better headphone, and that is reflected in the price, but I think the 228 are better than many here give them credit for. Audition both.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 24
I've tried out the 238's in the apple store, but haven't found anywhere I can try the 228's, I really want a comparison between the two, because the 238's were incredible, but I did feel that there was something lacking in blocking out outside noise, but that might just have been because the store was packed at the time. Do you guys know anywhere I might be able to give them a test drive? I'm in Toronto canada btw.

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 24
I cannot give you a comparison but I think that the hd228 is great for travel without disturbing other people. They are a bit hard to drive but If I set my touch 2g to full volume it's to loud for me.
The hd228 benefits greatly from the steroid mod (removing the center foam) they open up after this wich makes them very pleasing to listen to.
Please read this cause it is exactly what I thinkhttp://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...hought-429947/
good luck with choosing

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 24
Like you, I listened to the 238's in the Apple Store and found that there was some outside sound isolation but not much. I bought the 228's because they sound good (with good electronics especially) and they isolate well - perfect for evening/bedtime listening.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 24
The one caution I would give you with the 228s is that playing bass-heavy tracks loud will bring out the worst in them - plenty of boom-boom in an otherwise happy pair of lightweight cans.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one caution I would give you with the 228s is that playing bass-heavy tracks loud will bring out the worst in them - plenty of boom-boom in an otherwise happy pair of lightweight cans.

Actually, one can fix that gradually by playing bass test tracks, from 300 Hz to 20 Hz frequency sweeps to just full-blown bassy tracks. The voice coil drivers will tighten when exercised, and don't worry about the rattle.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 24
I have the 238s. They don't leak THAT much.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 238s. They don't leak THAT much.

I have them as well and they do! Not usable on a train (at least in Japan).

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 24
This is one enigmatic set of headphones. I've had the HD228 for a couple of months now and I still can't figure out if I like them or not. I bought them for portable use but find them a bit too inefficient with most mp3-players, as I often listen to music with good dynamics, which equals lower average output levels. And at home? Well, I prefer the qualities of open headphones, so in reality there would be no place for them in my world. And yet, during some nights when my Grado and other headphones seem too aggressive, or with emphasized treble (mostly depending on source material), the HD228 sound very convincing with a full sound, nice sound stage and balanced bass (it has never sounded boomy or overblown to me).

They are extremely sensivitive to placement on the ear, which is another negative for portable use. I have removed the centre-piece foam in the pads, and turned the glossy surface of the thin foam film upwards, but one must still be very careful with how they sit on the ear to get an open treble response. When everything works they are a joy to listen to and one quickly forgets them, enjoying the pleasures of music.

At other times they sound muffled, uninvolving and plain boring. I know from experience that my own hearing changes from day to day, and I'm also aware that air humidity plays a part in my percieved frequency response. So, while I've nurtured the thought of selling the headphones on many occasions, I've also returned to them to give them another chance. As I've also put some effort into making a custom made case I think I'll keep them for a while.

As for isolation, I find them quite good, the soft pleather forming an almost airtight contact with the surface of the ear.

One day I may try to modify the pads - which are crucial to the bass response - by making the central hole a bit larger, hopefully making them less sensitive to placement. But first I'm going to give them another month or so of burn-in.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MDR30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have removed the centre-piece foam in the pads, and turned the glossy surface of the thin foam film upwards...

You flipped the thin foam thingy upside-down? I never even thought for a second that that would have an impact on the sound, so I never tried it... Does it do anything?

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbz123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,
I'm thinking about getting a pair of new headphones, and am trying to decide between the HD228 and HD238's. I've heard the HD228's are better for noise isolation, but that the 238's sound more balanced, I was just wondering what you guys thought about the sound quality when comparing the two, and which you reckon would be a better buy? Is there a big difference in noise isolation between the two? I'm not fussed about the price difference, just want a good pair of portable cans, as theyre around the same price here in canada.

I haven't auditioned the HD 238, but I am a satisfied HD 228 owner. They offer decent isolation, they don't leak sound to people around you if you're worried about that... and with the astroid mod, they sound pretty darn good. I think they are somewhat underrated because, first of all, people try them out without realizing how fussy they are about positioning, so they get a flat, muddled, really dark sound out of them and walk away disappointed... and second, most people don't know about the astroid mod, which makes a surprisingly big difference in the detail and treble response.

If you need isolation, the HD 228 is probably a good choice.

If you don't care so much about isolation... well, unfortunately I can't compare the two, since I've only heard one of them... but I suspect that either one would do fine... that said, if they're the same price, you should probably just go for the HD 238. The HD 228 is supposed to retail cheaper than the HD 238, so it's pretty ridiculous that they're selling at around the same price here in Canada. I got my HD 228 for $79.99 (very good price!) on sale at Future Shop, and I'm glad I did, because after that sale, they went and jacked up the regular price from $99.99 to $109.99!
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back