Sennheiser HD 800 VS Grado PS 1000
Jul 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #168 of 202
Quote:
I'll have my PS1000 in three weeks, and my burson soloist just after.
It's a combo I've chosen, I'll try to make a review asap after.

Congratz, and if you like your PS1000 as much as i do, you're in for a treat.

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #169 of 202

I don't see how you came to that "pretty close" conclusion. The HD800 is a high-impedance inefficient headphone and the PS1000 is a low-impedance, more efficient one. Each has very different amping requirements and the amp needs to be considered just as much as the headphone (along with the source, but that's another subject).

Opinions on each headphone are polarized too so I wouldn't really recommend just buying one unless you have plenty of spare time & money. Try to audition if possible. One way to do that is by attending a meet.

I've heard both, not at the same time though, and I'd call both of these headphones "bright" as far as that meaning relatively spiked treble. But that's about where the similarities end IMO, as the rest of their sound is very different. Grados are known for small-ish soundstages and the PS1000 is no different, while the HD800 has a distractingly large one IMO. Grados are also known for "forward" presentations which essentially means the upper mid-range is boosted for an in-your-face type quality, while the HD800 is very passive. I'd sum up the PS1000 as bright, forward/aggressive, & bassy, probably best for rock & metal music (especially with the default bowl pads) and the HD800 as bright, passive, and very open-sounding (as in the soundstage). Neither would be my recommendation for any kind of classical or jazz, as they both lack the mid-range qualities to accurately reproduce most acoustic instruments and their treble emphasis can cause a lot of other instruments to unnaturally screech, like violins.

Hi, Asr,
What would be your recommendation for classical/contemporary (from Stravinsky to Boulez, say) or jazz in the sub 1500 euros range ?
Used Ultrasone 10 ? Low end Stax ?

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #170 of 202
You asked Asr, not me, but I have been down this path with all the named phones, and you are so close to the right answer I couldn't help but jump in (I listen to a lot of classical, and have done a lot of A/B comparisons).  Put your two ideas together: go used Stax.  Pro bias.  Check the usual used-gear sites as well as posting here.  Some people feel that older Lambda Pros have a similar brightness problem as the Grado's, but I have not found that to be the case.  It might be due to the particular amp, don't know.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #171 of 202
Thank you so much wavoman.
I discussed Stax with Pierre Paya in France. He's a Staxophile and tweaks many phones and headamps.
He advised against the 007, too somber/not transparent enough (like the HD800 is) and said go for 009.
Problem is 009 used is very rare.
Do you agree about 007 ?

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #172 of 202
The 009 is unbelievable.  I don't own it, but I heard El_Doug's.  It is very expensive and too new -- above your stated budget.

I think Pierre's comments probably apply to the 007 Mk II.  I have 007 Mk 1, and 007 Mk II with Spritzer Mod (fully documented by Spritzer, and I have been told it is easy to do).  I think they are both very transparent and not dark/somber at all.  When I listen to great classical SACD's, I am transifxed.  I use Kerry's BHSE build for the amp.

We should move this to PM or a Stax thread.

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #173 of 202
k701smile.gif

You have PM.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #174 of 202
For classical I like (love) my GS1000i. The bass is warm but nicely solid and resonant and not out of control and pushy like on the PS1000 (I sold those).
The highs on the GS are just right for classical, giving violins and piano some life and presence. The images are fuller and not as thin/clinical as the HD800s.

The GS soundstage is just right by me, like it just opens up naturally and hasn't been over-engineered to pick up spatial cues to sound un-headphone like or like 
you have an unnatural hall-effect.

The GS is a bargain to me and not only the sweet spot in the Grado line, but the best. 2nd place is the RS1 that I have, but it is not nearly as nicely  expansive as
the GS.

My GSs get a lot of headtime, even though I have 009s and HD800s.

(GSs are incredibly comfortable, and don't underestimate this factor, and so light too, a great benefit, you can wear them for hours;
they are even a lot better than Sony R10s for comfort to me, with no pad-heat on your temples or clutching / clamping at all.)

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #177 of 202
Spare the same amount of money to get the Edition 12 instead. And I agree to the GS1000i recommendation.

Could you develop ? Anyway Ed. 8 is sold around 600 € used, Ed. 12 is unknown quantity so far.

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #178 of 202
Could you develop ? Anyway Ed. 8 is sold around 600 € used, Ed. 12 is unknown quantity so far.

I'm probably the sole member here with the ED12. You can read my first impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/661368/ultrasone-edition-12-announced-in-japan/180#post_9782810

If you've got any questions let me know. While I haven't heard the HD800 or PS1000, I've heard the HD700 and a few other high-end phones.

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #179 of 202
'tried and sold the Ed. 8s too (2-3 years back); not too comfortable (small, shallow ear area); sort of an uneasy sound to me; not analytical, just not liquid or warm enough (from memory now).

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #180 of 202
'tried and sold the Ed. 8s too (2-3 years back); not too comfortable (small, shallow ear area); sort of an uneasy sound to me; not analytical, just not liquid or warm enough (from memory now).
Good, brief description. :) The Ultrasone Edition 12 cost 1300 EUR new. The HD800 are OK but from the new batch preferably. Some call it "2013".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back