Sennheiser HD 800, Help Me Chose Amp
Apr 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #16 of 49
Is it a crime to send offers? And also I never bought from here.

When you offer less than half of the asking price and then offer an extra $100 to do the transaction through eBay, it raises red flags.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:
Audiophile answer: The most expensive amp that looks cool, something with tubes for warmth.

Real life answer: Whatever measures the best, eq the nasty treble peak out of the bright HD800s.

I just have to say that this type of comment is what is killing hi-fi. 

Audio is totally subjective. Tube audio does not "measure" better than SS, but it totally kills SS in sound quality. People need to stop spending time with graphs and measurements and more time auditioning amps and headphones themselves. 

As for amp, I know of someone who would be willing to make a custom tube amp for your price point. 

If you don't like that idea, then go on ebay and look for a used and abused jolida glass tube FX amp and then get a speaker amp to headphone amp adapter. 

The lyr is a hybrid amp and does not have that much of a tube amp sound to it. You will spend a lot of $$$ on tubes and you won't get as much benefit as you would with an all tube amp. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #20 of 49
When you offer less than half of the asking price and then offer an extra $100 to do the transaction through eBay, it raises red flags.

It's for my safety, I only deal with people through ebay, why would I trust anyone. Ebay is perfect because ebuyer protection. But I guess you didn't know.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #21 of 49
I can get i
Nope. If you want a good cable at a good price, make it yourself. It will probably look like crap, but it will perform just as well for sometimes as less as 1/8th the cost of "hi-fi" cables. 

I can get it at good price that's why I am asking.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #23 of 49
I just have to say that this type of comment is what is killing hi-fi. 

Audio is totally subjective. Tube audio does not "measure" better than SS, but it totally kills SS in sound quality. People need to stop spending time with graphs and measurements and more time auditioning amps and headphones themselves. 

As for amp, I know of someone who would be willing to make a custom tube amp for your price point. 

If you don't like that idea, then go on ebay and look for a used and abused jolida glass tube FX amp and then get a speaker amp to headphone amp adapter. 

The lyr is a hybrid amp and does not have that much of a tube amp sound to it. You will spend a lot of $$$ on tubes and you won't get as much benefit as you would with an all tube amp. 

Thanks for response, that's what I am afraid when it comes to lyr.

Based on what a lot of people said about differences between ss and tube amps makes me want a tube amp because of warmth in sound. But I guess I will never know the difference until I try both types myself.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #24 of 49
Was skimming through the comments..

If you are still looking for a good amp for the HD 800. Mine absolutely sound incredible with the Woo Audio Wa2. Its really something special. Ive heard good things about the Wa22 but havent actually heard it myself. I know that most people say that the Wa2 is warmer than the Wa22 if you like that sound, I certainly do - with the HD800 especially. Also I can tell a big difference in power tubes on the WA2, if you are into tube rolling or if you want a good variety of sounds for the future on that amp. Yea thats just my 2 cents, I have not been happier with a setup as much as the 800's with a Wa2 and some nice tubes.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:
Thanks for response, that's what I am afraid when it comes to lyr.

Based on what a lot of people said about differences between ss and tube amps makes me want a tube amp because of warmth in sound. But I guess I will never know the difference until I try both types myself.

Good. That is the best choice you can make when it comes to audio. Try looking in the head-fi meet thread for a local get together to find a meet to audition amps and dacs.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #26 of 49
It's for my safety, I only deal with people through ebay, why would I trust anyone. Ebay is perfect because ebuyer protection. But I guess you didn't know.

It's hard to know what eBay is anymore as it has morphed from auction site to marketplace. I don't generally trust eBay or PayPal as I have been burned by both as a seller. You may not have any ill intent, just know that trying to steer a transaction through a specific organization makes it look like you may have some way to game the system and defraud the seller.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #27 of 49
Was skimming through the comments..

If you are still looking for a good amp for the HD 800. Mine absolutely sound incredible with the Woo Audio Wa2. Its really something special. Ive heard good things about the Wa22 but havent actually heard it myself. I know that most people say that the Wa2 is warmer than the Wa22 if you like that sound, I certainly do - with the HD800 especially. Also I can tell a big difference in power tubes on the WA2, if you are into tube rolling or if you want a good variety of sounds for the future on that amp. Yea thats just my 2 cents, I have not been happier with a setup as much as the 800's with a Wa2 and some nice tubes. (Tung Sol 5998 or Tung Sol 7236)

I'll keep that in mind, so far I've encountered only very expensive amps and couldn't get a good deal on them. The best case scenario I could hope for is that someone selling all these different amps that I listed and seller is in my area so I could travel to his place listen and decide which one is better. But I am afraid that wont happen.

Does anyone know where I can try out amps, is there a place for that, or that's impossible?

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #28 of 49
It's hard to know what eBay is anymore as it has morphed from auction site to marketplace. I don't generally trust eBay or PayPal as I have been burned by both as a seller. You may not have any ill intent, just know that trying to steer a transaction through a specific organization makes it look like you may have some way to game the system and defraud the seller.

I never had problems with ebay but with only once with seller on ebay who tried to scam me for $1000. Luckily for me ebay stood by my side and I was able to get my money back. Lets suppose I want to do transaction with you on this site where is guarantee that you will not scam me?

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #29 of 49
Good. That is the best choice you can make when it comes to audio. Try looking in the head-fi meet thread for a local get together to find a meet to audition amps and dacs.

Where can I get information on those meets? That would probably be the best for me.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #30 of 49
I'll keep that in mind, so far I've encountered only very expensive amps and couldn't get a good deal on them. The best case scenario I could hope for is that someone selling all these different amps that I listed and seller is in my area so I could travel to his place listen and decide which one is better. But I am afraid that wont happen.

Does anyone know where I can try out amps, is there a place for that, or that's impossible?

Go to a headfi meet, probably your best bet. Theres a forum section dedicated to that. I wish there were more in my area, you might not have luck with that either.. but maybe try researching headphone/hifi shops in your area instead. Sometimes due to location, researching and going on other peoples opinions is about all you can do. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back