Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Feb 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #1,381 of 3,545
All I'm gonna say is I hear more bass out of my HD800 than my HD650. I'm talking about real bass, not midbass / 100khz. The HD650 sounds more bassy sometimes due to the big mid bass boost it has, but I'm not a basshead and I really don't care about thump as much as I do natural bass timbre.

I'm not saying the LCD2 bass is not better than the HD800 bass, just that the HD800 is by no means "lacking" to my ears. At least versus the HD650, I find the HD800 better in every way, and notably more in deep true bass.

I'd imagine though that for hip hop or music where you want massive bass thump, you might prefer something like the HD650 or LCD2 where you can turn them up really really loud without burning your ears with "pesty" treble. As for me, I like listening very very quietly versus most people I think, so the HD800s are nearly ideal for me.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #1,382 of 3,545
The last dozen or so posts have been much more about the HD800 than the HD700.

I suppose this thread is running on life support until the production model hits the streets *sigh* 

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #1,383 of 3,545
Quote:
I don't call -3dB at 14Hz lacking in bass.

Counting from where the bass starts to roll off (which I think is a good place to star because midbass can ofter drown out the deeper bass) it looks like its down by 3dB around 30Hz here and =863&graphID[1]=&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]this shows -3dB at about 50Hz.  I don't know if that's measurement variation, sample variation, or a mid production change but those do put it on the "bass-light" side of the fence even if the first one is only slightly over the line.

I never said or tried to imply that it was huge though.  Its just not as dead neutral as some other 'phones manage.  The HD800s I've heard  and thought needed deeper bass sounded more like the Headroom graph than the Innerfidelity graph.  If the difference represents a deliberate change instead of some other error then I probably wouldn't miss the small roll off on the InnerFidelity pair when deprived a good EQ to make it perfect.

Also, if nobody likes using the LCD-2 as an example we can go with the Stax Lambdas instead.  Nobody complains about them being dark and they've all got a pretty similar FR.  The one's I've heard or seen measured on a proper dummy head have just about as much bass extension as the LCD-2s and a lot more treble but I'd compare their bass to the HD800's in pretty much the same way.

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #1,384 of 3,545

Quote:
All I'm gonna say is I hear more bass out of my HD800 than my HD650. I'm talking about real bass, not midbass / 100khz. The HD650 sounds more bassy sometimes due to the big mid bass boost it has, but I'm not a basshead and I really don't care about thump as much as I do natural bass timbre.

I'm not saying the LCD2 bass is not better than the HD800 bass, just that the HD800 is by no means "lacking" to my ears. At least versus the HD650, I find the HD800 better in every way, and notably more in deep true bass.

I'd imagine though that for hip hop or music where you want massive bass thump, you might prefer something like the HD650 or LCD2 where you can turn them up really really loud without burning your ears with "pesty" treble. As for me, I like listening very very quietly versus most people I think, so the HD800s are nearly ideal for me.

I hear them the same way. HD700 is more in line with the HD800 rather than the HD650, though perhaps with a bit more relative volume (ie there seems like more bass because the highs are shelved down in comparison). 

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #1,385 of 3,545

Quote:
It depends where you look. LCD2 is all bass and mids, and lacks any treble to speak of. 

Wow.

You don't happen to work full time in a loud noisy factory, do you? 

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,386 of 3,545

Quote:

Wow.

You don't happen to work full time in a loud noisy factory, do you? 

Unlike say the Shure SE530s that has treble rolled off a cliff, the LCD-2s extend to 20kHz. Its a different presentation on treble for headphones to account for the close proximity to ones ears. Some prefer the more treble heavy presentation, but I find the Audeze presentation more "real" sounding to my ears.

I don't have to worry scretching highs like I do with other headphones and the music seems more natural to me. I do love my HD800s and appreciate them for their technical abilities, but I do listen to my Audeze headphones more often.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #1,387 of 3,545
I don't call -3dB at 14Hz lacking in bass.

I call a 625ohm impedance peak at 100hz a reason why bass could be perceived as light. I don't consider HD800s to be all that light on bass with the best system, but that's the best system. With mediocre amping it certainly is.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #1,389 of 3,545

Quote:
The last dozen or so posts have been much more about the HD800 than the HD700.

I suppose this thread is running on life support until the production model hits the streets *sigh* 

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

indeed.

Well my initial question was generally of high hopes to have the HD700's recreate the bass many *adolescent* listeners, like myself, tend to enjoy. I'm actually wanting to put my money onto the pair of headphones i can definitely still be using in the long-run without any disappointments. 

Now-a-day's a good portion of *top-10's or latest hits* are party genre'd music (techno/trancy and upbeat) there are also other genres that people are slowly catching onto, like dubstep, which is definitely in need of a good thump in order to enjoy. At least for what i've noticed, high-end audiophile graded headphones emphasize more of their mids and highs. (this is just my point of view so please don't go all ape sh..... on me) 

Of course for any company, their main goal is to create the best product that many customers will be interested in and if the HD700 has the capabilities that i myself would need, i'll be a satisfied customer.

Lets all hope the full release and final changes into the product will satisfy all our personal music needs for those who are interested in the product.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #1,390 of 3,545
I was unaware that bass around 100 Hz was fake bass. . . all this time I thought it was real bass. Silly me. 

I like a fair amount of fake bass when I listen to hip hop. Oh wait I don't listen to hip hop only rock and electronic, but they need a fair amount of fake bass as well. 

. . . 

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #1,391 of 3,545
Well if I listen to a pure 100hz sinewave tone, it doesn't exactly sound very low to me.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #1,392 of 3,545
100hz is actually in the lower half of the bass range, which is 60 - 260hz; 10 - 60hz is sub-bass.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #1,393 of 3,545
So, HD700 is it then... eh?!

Damn... today it's the first time I read about those cans.

You can tell me what you want, I like the HD800 incl. mod out of the old Corda Opera better than my beloved Sennheiser Orpheus set.
I wouldn't say that the Orpheus was a waste of money and indeed it has a fabulous sound, but to my ears and taste the modded HD800 suits my needs better.
(My preference is classical music and jazz.)

I've tried out (and in some cases bought) the big Staxes, older Sonys, the T1, the LCD-2, etc. etc. - all in deed very good cans!

But after all it's the HD800 I'm reaching out for, when it comes to my favorite recordings.

My thoughts now are:

When the HD800 incl. mod is such an eargasm for me, maybe the HD700 will even be better?!

Well, you can guess, as soon as the first HD700 is available here in Deutschland, I will buy it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully it will be on par with the HD800 or it will add a wholly new impression, that I might like, to my beloved recordings.

Can't really wait until HD700 is out. Hopefully it's a HD800-killer or at least competitor.

Btw.: What do you think about the SHR-1840? Looking at the innerfi data sheet it seems to be very bass light, maybe even more than the first models of the K701...?

Greetings from Germany!

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #1,394 of 3,545

Quote:

Can't really wait until HD700 is out. Hopefully it's a HD800-killer or at least competitor.

A few things are certain in life - taxes, death and Sennheiser having the business foresight not to sabotage their own flagship by building
 a more competent, cheaper No #2 headphone :)

I'm keen to hear it too when it lands down under ~ but the 'It blows the HD800 away' hopes are a bit much, well subjectively speaking anyone
 may prefer it but I doubt it will show up on the measuring bench ~ in fact that's a guarantee as stated above.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #1,395 of 3,545
According to this guy at CES, the HD700 is "a $999 version of the superb $1,500 HD800."

"From my short listen to the HD700 at the show, it sounded very similar to the HD800as I expected. This means too bright for my taste fresh out of the box with a solid-state amplifier, however I'll bet you that the HD700s will be astounding when broken-in and used with a tube amp like any from Woo Audio, as are the HD800s.

"A new patent-pending feature is the special shape of the gauze, which continues the curved lines of the diaphragm. The resulting curvature reduces the volume of air beneath the diaphragm, thus guaranteeing even more precise control of the diaphragm motion and significantly lowering total harmonic distortion."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back