Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #9,136 of 9,327
Sounds about right. We should probably move this discussion to the hearing aid impressions thread… 🦻🏼
…pretty soon that will have to be in large typesetting…😑😵‍💫

Jun 30, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #9,137 of 9,327
Jun 30, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #9,138 of 9,327
Most people don't realise the higher market is there and haven't heard anything other. What's to miss what you've never experienced?
That's my theory anyway lol
You certainly make a great point! After all most people's mentalities are: "I have a great pair of jeans in Levi's, why would I pay $400 for some designer jeans? They are jeans."

And in a lot of cases this IS true, but since they don't know what they are missing, it is hard to imagine it CAN indeed get better. As for myself, I screwed myself by buying a great pair of headphones all those years ago. Until that time, I was also happy with my $10 Skullcandy IEMs... :)

Since then, I simply can't stand hearing lower quality (not necessarily lower price though) head gear. The HD700 will always have a home in my house for this reason. They DO require a sort of discerning type of listening, and if you don't have the skills for critical listening, they might fool you into thinking they sound like crap (I remember they did to me at first listen those years ago). Not saying they aren't fun also, but they tend to be more analytical than fun IMO.

Jul 1, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #9,139 of 9,327
I’ll take natural stupidity over artificial intelligence on any day: it is reliably ubiquitous 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣😥
Lol! Ubiquity aside, I respectfully agree to disagree - my son is an AI researcher at Meta (FAIR). Trust me, it is best to be nice to your sentient machines. The uprising is coming sooner than you think. 🤖

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #9,140 of 9,327
It does; however, I think that the better the macro and micro dynamics, the more this becomes true. And let's face it, we still aren't out of the quantity over quality in music reproduction phase just yet (thanks Beats and Apple for making this a mainstream thing). There are a lot more people nowadays that are becoming demanding of their quality in their library, but there are still plenty that are just as happy to listen to low quality crap and are happy with it.

I have been guilty of this over my younger days (something like 150 concerts), and we would crank up the stereo in the car on the ride home because we couldn't hear it. Plus, I was part of car stereo competitions where the bass alone would wreck anyone's hearing over time. Thankfully I am only deaf to frequencies over 12k (at age 52).

Nowadays, I try to listen on average of 60-80dB (not measured) or lower, and only listen louder on short bursts (when it is a REALLY good song)...:wink: The good news is that when you get good head gear, you don't HAVE to crank it up to hear all the frequencies. And it seems as though even the lowest priced stuff nowadays can compete with higher end stuff from yesteryear. As for the HD700 (and really all of the higher end HD stuff from Sennheiser), I think they were ahead of their time with their equipment and their tuning.

With the advent of driver coatings, we no longer have to put up with super bloated bass like we had in earlier days (for instance). Those were tuned purposely to distort in the bass area (especially) to accommodate for the low quality music that was commonplace, and for the way they were recorded to begin with. I sometimes go back to those super bass heavy (and distorted) songs with contemporary head gear, and they just don't sound like they used to for me. For instance this song (among others of his) used to be used in competition for just how much rattle one can cause with music, and it required some good (purposeful) distortion on the lower end to sound "correct" (to the way they intended it). With today's drivers, they can reach that low, but they are simply too accurate to give the affect that once was.

Anyone remember this? :

No doubt, loud is fun. Who wants to listen to Led Zeppelin or Metallica turned down?? BUT, one sign of a truly good system (i.e., one that can produce natural micro- and macro-dynamics, among many other things), is that it is still musically involving at low levels. I’m sure I’ll catch a lot of crap for saying this, but that doesn’t mean it’s not true - if you HAVE to turn it up to make it keep your interest (aka, if you keep feeling that you need more volume), then your system is lacking in this all important area and will likely not be satisfying in the long run. This is not my personal theory, just some wisdom I picked up along the way in my 50 year audio journey that has proven itself to be true, time and again.

YMMV, just my $.02, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #9,141 of 9,327
Lol! Ubiquity aside, I respectfully agree to disagree - my son is an AI researcher at Meta (FAIR). Trust me, it is best to be nice to your sentient machines. The uprising is coming sooner than you think. 🤖
Can one not pull out the plug…😏?

Jul 1, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #9,143 of 9,327
No doubt, loud is fun. Who wants to listen to Led Zeppelin or Metallica turned down?? BUT, one sign of a truly good system (i.e., one that can produce natural micro- and macro-dynamics, among many other things), is that it is still musically involving at low levels. I’m sure I’ll catch a lot of crap for saying this, but that doesn’t mean it’s not true - if you HAVE to turn it up to make it keep your interest (aka, if you keep feeling that you need more volume), then your system is lacking in this all important area and will likely not be satisfying in the long run. This is not my personal theory, just some wisdom I picked up along the way in my 50 year audio journey that has proven itself to be true, time and again.

YMMV, just my $.02, etc.

Agreed...a listen to a set of decent, relatively inexpensive electrostatics drove this point home for me!

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #9,144 of 9,327
My HD700 sound so much better to me since I got the $279 StefanAudioArt mod.

There is still harshness on things such as classical choral works but I really enjoy these for a lot of recordings.

Update:C3 Audio re-tipped an Acoustic Revive HD800 cable for me to fit the HD700. With this very stiff Acoustic Revive cable, the off-putting harshness has been alleviated and my HD700 are getting a lot more air time now.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #9,146 of 9,327
Hi, does anyone has a pair of HD700 2.5mm connector that they are willing to sell? I need a pair to re-terminate one of my cables, if you are willing to sell it please pm me, thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #9,147 of 9,327
Hi, does anyone has a pair of HD700 2.5mm connector that they are willing to sell? I need a pair to re-terminate one of my cables, if you are willing to sell it please send e a pm, thanks!
If it's official hd700 connectors you are after, then its almost certainly not going to be possible. I tried to recover the jack from my faulty hd700 cable, and the headphone connectors from a 650 cable recently, and unfortunately they seem to be specifically designed to not be re-usable. There are some chinese connectors available, if that's of any use?

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #9,148 of 9,327
If it's official hd700 connectors you are after, then its almost certainly not going to be possible. I tried to recover the jack from my faulty hd700 cable, and the headphone connectors from a 650 cable recently, and unfortunately they seem to be specifically designed to not be re-usable. There are some chinese connectors available, if that's of any use?
I saw quite a few listings on Aliexpress and have used one before which was okay, I just wanted to see if there are any offerings within the US before I buy one from Aliexpress since shipping will take a while. The stock ones were impossible to reuse though (I have tried reusing the connectors on an HD650 cable and they were glue/molded together, so I want to get a pair of 2.5mm connectors to put on my broken HD650 cable.)

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #9,149 of 9,327
I saw quite a few listings on Aliexpress and have used one before which was okay, I just wanted to see if there are any offerings within the US before I buy one from Aliexpress since shipping will take a while. The stock ones were impossible to reuse though (I have tried reusing the connectors on an HD650 cable and they were glue/molded together, so I want to get a pair of 2.5mm connectors to put on my broken HD650 cable.)
I'm not aware of anything other than the chinese ones. These are the ones I use and the do the job. I wish there were something a bit more upmarket available, made out of copper or something

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125764373291?hash=item1d48240b2b:g:1zgAAOSwbeZg3XQY&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4DK4vmKF8REi0jihfbfed/lVE6Ybb0+YaNmxug/YoQFDO46/HkLk9gKQ06i9AqY0zD2MNUYYT2/sMl53yIKcXmnck238Fkc2qXCsfIjdFrhWG+FzClFhXumFSwIM2XXoB6kcAJmXtUVsEzHb7UyTfJems8BW7Ibw2C0I4WkK0+wIkby/+dWqu4WRgR7zimvbSsei3JaRkAkqvo1k4Y8xYhJhyWsPwaC4oYePct3wCRvgBc8cGGwSOjQ8GH46X8nCIyD1x1POqxdn2cwih5cXwm8sq5wvMJFyaPyEZBWbmlSY|tkp:Bk9SR66yx7PXYQ

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #9,150 of 9,327

Eidolic and Oyaide have them but it is hard to find in the US, I just saw Plussound has some as well. I might get the Plussound ones if I find nothing else.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back