Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #7,741 of 9,327
Hah. My first Sennheiser was the HD555 too. Although it had a bit of grain, I remember being pleased with its overall fidelity and ability to create a spacious sound. That had to be about 10 years ago. I've had the HD700 for a bit now and can say hands down they are now a true favourite. In terms of mids, the quality is there, it is just a different balance, one that may take a while to adjust to. One of the reasons the HD700 presents such a cohesive soundstage is that they are actually more tonally accurate than many headphones. They present sound as if you were hearing it outside of you and it feels like Sennheiser has measured this reproduction perfectly. Just placing your hands a few inches away from the outside of the drivers completely alters the frequency reproduction. It's a bit like listening through a seashell. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Sennheiser took inspiration from nature in designing this headphone.

This headphone received some flack from some in the community, but I just don't hear why. Sennheiser has a world-class measuring facility, and the resulting sound signature is very deliberate.

For myself this headphone has been pure bliss. Listening to binaural nature recordings while working has allowed me to relax and focus. Classical music is superb.

I will say, initially I struggled with them just a bit. Of the many headphones I've gone through, this one sounds correct. It isn't just a relative thing either. While I could say my LCD2 are more pleasing, rich and organic the HD700 is still more realistic. It is also ridiculously comfortable and I hold it up there with the HD650 as a true all-round favourite.

A misunderstood classic. Can't wait to hear the HD800S myself. For those that own the HD800S, is it more than just a simple tweak to the previous model? Is the greater expense over the standard HD800 apparent? Anyhow, for the prices I got all my present headphones at (LCD2, HD700, MDR7520, and D2000) are about the cost of a used HD800 so I don't think I'll be switching anything just as yet which is fine.

So...I find that Sennheiser is able to pull this ('realness', accuracy, etc.) off in many of their headphones. I still listen to the HD558s for this reason. While they might not be as capable as the 6XX, 700, and 800, I can put these on, hit shuffle, and the hours fly by without the slightest urge to swap another set of cans in. The timbre of Senns on acoustic (jazz, blues, folk, etc.) and vocals is just outstanding...something I don't get as much from any other brand of headphones.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #7,742 of 9,327
Hah. My first Sennheiser was the HD555 too. Although it had a bit of grain, I remember being pleased with its overall fidelity and ability to create a spacious sound. That had to be about 10 years ago. I've had the HD700 for a bit now and can say hands down they are now a true favourite. In terms of mids, the quality is there, it is just a different balance, one that may take a while to adjust to. One of the reasons the HD700 presents such a cohesive soundstage is that they are actually more tonally accurate than many headphones. They present sound as if you were hearing it outside of you and it feels like Sennheiser has measured this reproduction perfectly. Just placing your hands a few inches away from the outside of the drivers completely alters the frequency reproduction. It's a bit like listening through a seashell. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Sennheiser took inspiration from nature in designing this headphone.

This headphone received some flack from some in the community, but I just don't hear why. Sennheiser has a world-class measuring facility, and the resulting sound signature is very deliberate.

Thats a perfect way of describing them. The detail is there in the mids, but its not the focal point. Coming from the HD600, they are a big change. Theyre literally everything the HD600 is not. I miss the details in the mids, but the details elsewhere more than make up for it. I can see why people wouldnt like it, but it gets way too much flack. It had a place and it sounds damn nice too.

In the coming months, Ill likely pull the trigger on a Valhalla

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #7,743 of 9,327

For myself this headphone has been pure bliss. Listening to binaural nature recordings while working has allowed me to relax and focus. Classical music is superb.

Exactly. 

I use my HD700s in my office as a tool to help me focus and couldn't be happier with them. And then, when I do want to focus on the music, the combo of my Lyr 2 with upgraded tubes and HD700 is sublime. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #7,744 of 9,327
  and "No" they do not replace my 800Ss.
biggrin.gif

Here I’ve just arrived and I’m already leaving
frown.gif
as I just sold my 700s and they went fast…..it was fun to revisit but they are so close in many ways to my 800S, which are still on a different playing field given the proper ancillary equipment,  that it does not make much sense to hold onto them….but still if the budget is limited I cannot recommend the 700 enough for those who want a clear, well articulated phone.
beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #7,745 of 9,327
  Here I’ve just arrived and I’m already leaving
frown.gif
as I just sold my 700s and they went fast…..it was fun to revisit but they are so close in many ways to my 800S, which are still on a different playing field given the proper ancillary equipment,  that it does not make much sense to hold onto them….but still if the budget is limited I cannot recommend the 700 enough for those who want a clear, well articulated phone.
beerchug.gif

Was it the pair on Canuck... ? If so, they went SUPER fast. Your price was excellent!

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #7,749 of 9,327
Im curious. Has anyone tried the ear pad mod?

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #7,751 of 9,327
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my HD598 to HD700, but I'm not sure whether I'll get a good improvement immediately with the current hardware.

So, I'm currently listening to my 598 directly from a notebook with some ESS Sabre stuff inside.
The manufacturer never disclosed detailed info but guys did some investigations and it seems it has this:
ESS ES9016K2M + SABRE9601K

I'm also waiting for Plenue D to be delivered.

Will one of those be enough to
a) drive the HD700?
b) feel the upgrade in quality?

If not, what would you suggest in terms of budget DAC/Amp? I'm leaning towards warmth, good soundstage and good mids.

Thanks

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #7,752 of 9,327
  Hi guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my HD598 to HD700, but I'm not sure whether I'll get a good improvement immediately with the current hardware.

So, I'm currently listening to my 598 directly from a notebook with some ESS Sabre stuff inside.
The manufacturer never disclosed detailed info but guys did some investigations and it seems it has this:
ESS ES9016K2M + SABRE9601K

I'm also waiting for Plenue D to be delivered.

Will one of those be enough to
a) drive the HD700?
b) feel the upgrade in quality?

If not, what would you suggest in terms of budget DAC/Amp? I'm leaning towards warmth, good soundstage and good mids.

Thanks

the DAC in your notebook is decent and you'll have to spend a bit to get any improvements, just get an amp, Vali2 or Solstice if you are okay with rolling tubes, if you want SS then Polaris or other amp that is considered warm.  FWIW my ex-GF used to use a Fiio X3 with her HD700 almost daily when she walked the dog.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #7,753 of 9,327
Just curious. Anyone try these with a Project Solstice? Doing some amp shopping and looking at my options. Valhalla is default, but if I can get something at a better price. Barring DIY stuff. I could learn, but I dont have the time at the moment.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #7,754 of 9,327
Just curious. Anyone try these with a Project Solstice? Doing some amp shopping and looking at my options. Valhalla is default, but if I can get something at a better price. Barring DIY stuff. I could learn, but I dont have the time at the moment.
Haven't heard the Solstice but have heard the Ember but mostly with planars. Very nice amp. He-1000's sounded really good from it as did He-500's and my Alpha Dogs that I had at the time. It would have the power to run the 700's for sure and you would have the ability to roll tubes which can be a blessing or a curse.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #7,755 of 9,327

I've listened to the Solstice but not with a HD700, its like a slightly less powerful Ember with about the same tone, to me better than the Valhalla2 as a all around amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back