Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #4,531 of 9,327
I always felt like the HD650 was overly warm, warmer than the X2 for certain.

O_o

Okay that one definitely threw me for a loop. I admit I have the X1, not the X2, but AFAIK they're very similar sounds and the X1 is so much warmer and thicker than the HD650 it's crazy. Hell that's what they're known for, being the open-back warm bass titans. Unless we have wildly different definitions of "warm" I'm not sure how to interpret this.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #4,532 of 9,327
Everyone has their own definition of warm. Mine is thicker midrange, thicker bass, smooth/rolled treble. I haven't heard a HD650 in a long time but I know that I had them at the same time that I got my HD600 they were considerably more rolled off with a much thicker midrange and quite a bit more bass. To me the X2 sounded closer to the HD650 than the HD600 by a wide margin. It was a big difference in sound signature.

Though all this comes down to how we hear and how our gear changes the tonal balance of the headphones used. Most of my gear is slightly warm, except for the V800 and Auditor, which are dead neutral.

This is the fun of this board though, we each have our own opinions, tastes, and experience to discus and draw upon. For me the HD650 has a very thick and muffled sound, while for others it isn't. Surely you can relate?

Quote:

O_o

Okay that one definitely threw me for a loop. I admit I have the X1, not the X2, but AFAIK they're very similar sounds and the X1 is so much warmer and thicker than the HD650 it's crazy. Hell that's what they're known for, being the open-back warm bass titans. Unless we have wildly different definitions of "warm" I'm not sure how to interpret this.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #4,533 of 9,327
Everyone has their own definition of warm. Mine is thicker midrange, thicker bass, smooth/rolled treble. I haven't heard a HD650 in a long time but I know that I had them at the same time that I got my HD600 they were considerably more rolled off with a much thicker midrange and quite a bit more bass. To me the X2 sounded closer to the HD650 than the HD600 by a wide margin. It was a big difference in sound signature.

Though all this comes down to how we hear and how our gear changes the tonal balance of the headphones used. Most of my gear is slightly warm, except for the V800 and Auditor, which are dead neutral.

This is the fun of this board though, we each have our own opinions, tastes, and experience to discus and draw upon. For me the HD650 has a very thick and muffled sound, while for others it isn't. Surely you can relate?

I think you may be recalling them as vastly more thick and rolled off, then, or the old talk of the "veil" was WAY more true back then than it is now. I literally have the X1, HD600, and HD650 in my possession right now and the X1 is not even in the ballpark of either of them. It's MASSIVELY bassy by comparison to both to the point that I recommended it as a hip-hop open-back. It's entirely possible, I suppose, that the X2 took a CRAZY left turn and sounds absolutely nothing like the X1, but as nothing I've read supports that I'm sort of going by analogy.

No doubt that we all have our own ears, but it's tricky to talk about headphones and make suggestions and get advice from others when it seems like no one's operating on the same criteria, y'know? Like, I bounced into this thread because I have no way of auditioning the 700s and I'm curious about getting a pair, but if I'm talking to someone who says the HD650 is warmer than the X2, when I compare my X1 to my 650 and it's the polar opposite (seriously, the X1 is like the warmest and bassiest open-back I've ever heard, and that includes Audeze), then I'm not sure how to interpret the suggestions I get, y'know?

Not a criticism of anyone! Our ears are our ears and what matters is we like what we have. :)

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #4,534 of 9,327
I've never heard an X1 so can't comment on that but I would agree that the 700 is warmer than the 600 and the 650 is quite a bit warmer than both. The 600 lacks warmth and is actually lean sounding. That's why a lot of people perceive it as more accurate. The 650 is probably the warmest high quality phone I've heard.

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #4,535 of 9,327
Have the X1, HD-650 and HD-700:

X1: most bass of the 3 but mids little recessed, sound signature doesn't change much with different amps, pretty forgiving of sub-par source/recordings.

HD-650: warmest of the 3, and I would say best mids also, needs OTL amp to sound its best IMO, Project Ember will also work but for me the BH Crack is best, like X1 its forgiving of sub-par source/recordings

HD-700: Bass is quick and tight and goes lower than X1 and HD-650 to me, a little amp picky, sounds best with Ember for me, clear and extended highs, wide sound stage, not forgiving of mediocre source/recordings.

HD-600: heard these from a friend and they sounded thin to me but then it was right after listening to HD-650.  To me its closer to the HD-700/X1 than the HD-650.

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #4,539 of 9,327
Brendan, you should consider editing your post instead of making multiple posts.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #4,541 of 9,327
First of all, there are rumors that the HD650 sound has evolved over time with silent revisions... Older ones typically are commented on for being warm and very mid-forward. So, you both can be right!!

The X7 is more than enough amp for the HD700. It's not the very best amp I have, but it's better than average and the stock opamp's very very slightly lean sound helps balance the HD700. I used a small (like -2dB) eq cut to the highs sometimes, but overall the HD700's highs didn't bother me on the X7. Had a "thicker and meatier" and more forward sound to the mids while playing CoD:AW, but the headphone was a bit slower and less crisp/detailed than my K712. I think the amp itself was good with the HD700, and the 1/4" Jack next to the 1/8" Jack made it very easy to A/B headphones, which was cool.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #4,542 of 9,327
Just ordered the HD700 on the massdrop offer, was too hard to resist .. did try to avoid the purchase
biggrin.gif
, but that never works eh ?

I currently have an Aune T1 which will be feeding the HD700. But i was thinking of the BH Crack or the Project Ember to go with it.

What would u suggest as a better option ? or something entirely different ?

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #4,544 of 9,327
First of all, there are rumors that the HD650 sound has evolved over time with silent revisions... Older ones typically are commented on for being warm and very mid-forward. So, you both can be right!!

The X7 is more than enough amp for the HD700. It's not the very best amp I have, but it's better than average and the stock opamp's very very slightly lean sound helps balance the HD700. I used a small (like -2dB) eq cut to the highs sometimes, but overall the HD700's highs didn't bother me on the X7. Had a "thicker and meatier" and more forward sound to the mids while playing CoD:AW, but the headphone was a bit slower and less crisp/detailed than my K712. I think the amp itself was good with the HD700, and the 1/4" Jack next to the 1/8" Jack made it very easy to A/B headphones, which was cool.

What are some other better DAC / Amp combo than the X7 for the same price or in the same price range?

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #4,545 of 9,327
  Just ordered the HD700 on the massdrop offer, was too hard to resist .. did try to avoid the purchase
biggrin.gif
, but that never works eh ?

I currently have an Aune T1 which will be feeding the HD700. But i was thinking of the BH Crack or the Project Ember to go with it.

What would u suggest as a better option ? or something entirely different ?

No either one will serve you well.  My personal preference runs strongly in the direction of the Bottle Head, but any good tube amp should be fine.  I am using a SinglePower Extreme which has a 6SN7 input and 6080 power tubes (using 6AS7Gs right now) which is similar to BH.  The amp is accused of being sibilant especially during break in, and the tube amp really minimizes that effect. I like the HD 700s a lot so I think it is a good choice, but you may like different music etc.. I hope you like it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back