Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #1,531 of 9,327
On a negative note I just want to get an opinion, only had the HD700s for less than 3 weeks overall after receiving them on Dec 31st and sent them to Sennheiser on the 22nd of January due to a crack in the bezel molding and have them check for a difference in volume between drivers, obviously they did as they ordered and installed a new matched pair and a replacement baffle molding, took awhile and just got them back last week.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612502/sennheiser-hd-700-appreciation-thread/1170#post_10186594

Now wondering if I’m being a bit anal, I do not think I am, as the phones were sent in as new and returned with the outer baffle rings marred from the driver installation.

After thinking about it a bit more I’ve sent the same pics and comments off to Sennheiser and requested either a new pair of HD700s or at least to have them order new replacement cups, although I'm not sure these are as user friendly as the HD600 series in terms of repair.

I know it’s just cosmetic and the phones sound great but all the same????

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,532 of 9,327
I think its a fair request. The cans aren't cheap, and they were handled by factory technicians who I am sure are more than fully aware of how to handle the cans for any repair, so it might have been an accident, but nevertheless, the headphones shouldnt come back with any cosmetic defects that weren't there before. Although sound is everything to me, the fact that I think the HD700s are beautiful too adds to my pleasure of owning them, so I'd be upset if they were cosmetically damaged.

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,533 of 9,327
Hi guys, I am looking to get back into the full-size headphone game, and I am wondering if the HD 700 is right for me.   Perhaps you guys can help me decide, so here is a quick little backstory:

Used to own HD 650 and AKG k701 and Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads.  Liked those headphones, didn't love any.    For the HD 650, it was because I couldn't wear them for more than an hour without feeling discomfort because of their clamping effect and closed-in soundstage.  The Mad Dogs were nice but the leather ear pads made my ears too hot and sweaty over time, not to mention they are too heavy. 

For the AKG k701, it was because the bass had almost no impact and weight, especially next to the extremely satisfying bass of the HD 650s.

I listen to a lot of rap and electronic (but also classical, jazz, etc), so bass response is a must for me - which is why I've ruled out the HD 800, because people have told me that the bass on the HD 800's isn't nearly as forceful as on the 650's.   I have tried various planar magnetics, and again: they are just not comfortable for me for wearing over a long period of time, not to mention the closed-in soundstage.   But I have read everywhere that HD700 bass has more impact and slam than HD 800.    But I love classical, so soundstage is critical too.

So that leaves me with extremely few choices:

HD 700
Fostex TH600 ( the 900 is a bit more than I am looking to spend)
AKG K812 (probably a bit more than I am willing to spend)
Phillips Fidelio X1 (these might not be enough of an upgrade, too mid-fi)
Beyerdynamic T1 (I have heard mixed things on the bass of these headphones, and not sure about the comfort either)

If you guys have any other phones I should consider, please give me suggestions.   But mainly I am considering the HD700 because in terms of comfort, it looks like it blows TH600 out of the water.    And the K812 and and TH900 are more than I willing to spend right now.  I have tried the HD 700 on my head, and it feels like I am not wearing headphones - this quality is important to me, for long term listening. 

Before you remind me:  I know even the HD 700 doesn't have the bass of the 650's, but that's okay.  It just needs to have more bass than the 800's and the K701s, really.   The HD 650 always had a bit too much bass anyhow. 

So priorities are, in order of importance to me:   comfort, bass, and soundstage.   It seems that headphones that nail all 3 of these qualities are extremely rare.    HD 700 seems like it might fit the bill, but since you guys have experience owning the HD 700, perhaps you can give me some much needed guidance.   I live in Canada, where there are not many meets, and few places to try these headphones out before buying.

Oh, and I will be using them with a Burson HA160 and Schiit Modi until I can upgrade to better equipment.

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #1,534 of 9,327
I cannot comment on all those headphone but I can talk on the TH600.

The TH600 is very light on clamp and comfortable for me. Never sweaty or hot. Great for electronic no doubt, but I have my reservations about classical and jazz on them personally. I don't listen to much jazz but I do have a bit of it in soundtracks including all of the Cowboy Bebop CD's. I listen to a lot of classical soundtracks. The TH600 mids are receded and are not all that crash hot for listening to classical music for me at least. It can sound a bit thin and the treble can be a bit excessive with cymbal work at the worst of times.

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #1,536 of 9,327
Consider the JVC DX1000 as well. Similar in tonal balance to the HD650, plenty of bass for electronic, I've seen great things said about it with jazz and its soundstage is meant to be big for a closed headphone.

I cannot help you fully other than what I said about the TH600 personally. There are more qualified folk than me with more listening experience.

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #1,537 of 9,327
  So that leaves me with extremely few choices:

HD 700
Fostex TH600 ( the 900 is a bit more than I am looking to spend)
AKG K812 (probably a bit more than I am willing to spend)
Phillips Fidelio X1 (these might not be enough of an upgrade, too mid-fi)
Beyerdynamic T1 (I have heard mixed things on the bass of these headphones, and not sure about the comfort either)

If you guys have any other phones I should consider, please give me suggestions.   But mainly I am considering the HD700 because in terms of comfort, it looks like it blows TH600 out of the water.    And the K812 and and TH900 are more than I willing to spend right now.  I have tried the HD 700 on my head, and it feels like I am not wearing headphones - this quality is important to me, for long term listening. 

I am really enjoying my HD700s, but I would still possibly add the upcoming Hifiman HE560 to your list even though it is not quite released yet. It is a new planar headphone that is much lighter, and so is reported to be more comfortable. I am waiting for the first reviews before ordering a pair, but it sounds promising.

Another option is to consider the iCAN amp. It performs well above its price and it has a very effective bass boost. I have found it can make almost any headphone have more than enough bass. There are two levels of boost so when you are in the mood, it can even make ordinary headphones into a basshead's dream. As a result, I found the ICAN really helps with headphones that are bass light. I even enjoy using it with the HD700s on low to fill in the lowest frequencies. It boosts the bass without muddying up the mids.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #1,538 of 9,327
  Hi guys, I am looking to get back into the full-size headphone game, and I am wondering if the HD 700 is right for me.   ...................................

For the AKG k701, it was because the bass had almost no impact and weight, especially next to the extremely satisfying bass of the HD 650s.

I listen to a lot of rap and electronic (but also classical, jazz, etc), so bass response is a must for me .....................................

As I’ve been working in my new HD700 drivers I cannot imagine needing more bass, as I mentioned in my first impressions back in January the HD700 emulate very well my Dynaudio Special 25 augmented with my 15” Velodyne SPL1500R. Now I’m not referring to gut wrenching HT bass but true tuneful non exaggerated musical bass, much more so than my HD580/600s if that’s any indication.
The clarity of the HD700s is more in line with the AKG701’s but the 700 are much better integrated top to bottom, so quite a departure from the HD600/650 signature, but my AKG K701’s even with the “bass port mod” still do not hold a candle to the HD700s impact and bass presence when listening to Underworld and Massive Attack, you may be quite surprised how they hold up against the HD650s.
So far the HD700s are IMHO quite adept at realistically reproducing all genres of music, as I mentioned previously Kraftwerk’s live CD Minimum-Maximum was portrayed as I remembered the live performance, switching gears and throwing on Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra; Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta conducted by Charles Dutoit was excellent for portraying all the delicacies, soundstage width and depth and then the impact on the crescendos.
The HD700s I should note do have a different perspective on staging compared to  the the HD600 series which are more intimate like listening to near field monitors, the HD700s being more speaker like with proper perspective with regards to staging and image size.
If you do indeed go for the HD700s give them a few days, unlike any other phones I’ve had these do dramatically change, contrary to popular opinion when it comes to break-in.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,541 of 9,327
The HD700's are by far the most comfortable headphone I have ever tried.  I went from the 650's to the 700's and wouldn't consider going back.  The 700's are a nice set of HP's.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,543 of 9,327
Ok you guys pushed me over the edge, I am gonna buy a pair. I found a used but good condition pair for 685. Is that a good deal? Here in Canada the cheapest u can get them brand new is still 1k.

Not sure about Canada but you could get it new in US for $650. I sold mine used for $500. I'd look for someone selling in the forums here willing to ship to Canada.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #1,544 of 9,327
Ok you guys pushed me over the edge, I am gonna buy a pair. I found a used but good condition pair for 685. Is that a good deal? Here in Canada the cheapest u can get them brand new is still 1k.

I guess those are the ones from Canuck Audio ?  http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649116479-sennheiser_hd700_headphones/
Seeing the retail in the US has gone up to $849.00 and Amazon.com will not ship their warehouse open box/used deals to us in Canada, I guess that's about the best one can currently do so I would probably go it.
Out of curiosity I 'm almost tempted to pickup the HD650s  on Canuck
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back