Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #1,486 of 9,327
Which Questyle did you grab? This is going to be for use with the K812 and HD 800?

The CMA800R. It was built with the HD800 in mind hence CMA800R, so it should synergize really well with the HD800. I'm hoping it works well with the K812 as well.

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #1,487 of 9,327
If you think the headphone is indeed harsh in the treble frequencies then you don't want silver in all likelihood.  Personally I don't find the HD 700s harsh and could see using silver somewhere in the cable. I think you really have to spend some time with the stock cable which I think is all copper.  I am actually trying out an OCC replacement cable available on ebay.  I am not sure it represents any meaningful  sonic improvement over stock.  If anything is gained it is that the stock cable is somewhat thick and clumsy compared with the sleeker replacement.

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,488 of 9,327
Hi,

I've recently purchased a pair of HD 700 headphones for use with Graham Slee Solo SRGII with PSU1. My idea was to replace my HD 650s with Cardas cable and Bravo Ocean tube amplifier. While the sound stage and separation of the HD 700s is noticeably wider than the 650s I'm concerned about the treble peak. (I have moderate tinnitus which may affect my appreciation of these headphones and possibly my hearing range.) The treble peak (which I'm sure has been discussed) is experienced by me as boosting sibilance already in recordings such as Acrylic Afternoons by Pulp and various Lisa Stansfield tracks. 

Instead of the lisping sibilance with the HD25-I II, the HD 700s emphasises 's' or 'z' sounds to the point where they can sound (to me at least) as a high pitched squeal and this quickly becomes fatiguing. I tried listening to Slow by Kylie Minogue which is known to be a slightly sibilant recording and the high pitched 's' was almost painful to listen to. This is sad as the HD 700s sound much more like my Stax SRS-2020 (used with my PC) electrostatic headphones and to me less veiled than my HD 650s. Incidentally, the sibilance is still revealed by the Stax headphones but isn't as prominent as the HD 700s. What is especially confusing is that my brother auditioned both the HD 650s and 700s to help me decide which to keep and recommended the 700s but wasn't bothered by the high pitched 's' especially with female singers.

I would be grateful for some advice - should I try a better valve amplifier with the HD 700s? Alternatively, I could sell both the Sennheisers with the amplifiers and get a Stax SRS-2170 or 3170.

Martyn

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #1,489 of 9,327
  Hi,

I've recently purchased a pair of HD 700 headphones for use with Graham Slee Solo SRGII with PSU1. My idea was to replace my HD 650s with Cardas cable and Bravo Ocean tube amplifier. While the sound stage and separation of the HD 700s is noticeably wider than the 650s I'm concerned about the treble peak. (I have moderate tinnitus which may affect my appreciation of these headphones and possibly my hearing range.) The treble peak (which I'm sure has been discussed) is experienced by me as boosting sibilance already in recordings such as Acrylic Afternoons by Pulp and various Lisa Stansfield tracks. 

Instead of the lisping sibilance with the HD25-I II, the HD 700s emphasises 's' or 'z' sounds to the point where they can sound (to me at least) as a high pitched squeal and this quickly becomes fatiguing. I tried listening to Slow by Kylie Minogue which is known to be a slightly sibilant recording and the high pitched 's' was almost painful to listen to. This is sad as the HD 700s sound much more like my Stax SRS-2020 (used with my PC) electrostatic headphones and to me less veiled than my HD 650s. Incidentally, the sibilance is still revealed by the Stax headphones but isn't as prominent as the HD 700s. What is especially confusing is that my brother auditioned both the HD 650s and 700s to help me decide which to keep and recommended the 700s but wasn't bothered by the high pitched 's' especially with female singers.

I would be grateful for some advice - should I try a better valve amplifier with the HD 700s? Alternatively, I could sell both the Sennheisers with the amplifiers and get a Stax SRS-2170 or 3170.

Martyn

Can you EQ your source at all? I found that turning the 6kHz down 2db from its current setting helped tremendously.

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #1,490 of 9,327
Can you EQ your source at all? I found that turning the 6kHz down 2db from its current setting helped tremendously.

This advice helped me early on as well. I found some recordings unlistenable with the 700s. I also performed an extended break-in, connected to a chip amp fed by a DAP non-stop for a few days. Like most cans they can be very amp dependent. The only commercial hp amps I have left are the Woo wa22 and an early Schitt Valhalla, and I don't listen to either very much, but the single-ended pairing with the wa22 sounds great. They pair great with the BH Crack and Sex which did not surprise me considering how well these amps play with the 650s and 800s. The interesting thing is how they sound with my Hagerman Castanet, soundstage definition in spades. So after 100 hours give or take, I am very happy I purchased the 700s. I got to hear a pair fully balanced on a AMB Labs B22 SS amp, I was so impressed I am building a B22 for myself. I sold my Cavalli Liquid Fire but I think they would pair well with the Cavalli audio offerings, they perform well with my DIY Bijou. Working on a re-cable, which will allow for balanced and single ended operation, curious to hear if it will change the SQ at all. I'll report back on that.

Cheers,
Shawn

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #1,491 of 9,327
I also found that the HD700 is very sensitive to DACs and especially amps. I know that my HD700 responded really well to the Schiit Asgard2, it was the first step towards softening the simbilance issues of the HD700. Throwing in the Schiit Bifrost with the Uber Analog upgrade finally put the HD700 over the top and it was then when I really started to see the HD700 prove its worth. I do think the HD700 pair well with Schiit equipment in general: I also have a Loki DSD DAC that the HD700 loves, and it also sounds wonderful with the Schiit Magni. I use the Magni in my office with the FiiO X3 as my laptop's DAC and it sounds wonderful.

To highlight the sensitivity to amps I'll say this: the X3 has a powerful amp, and the E12 is an even more powerful amp: they could power my HD650 with ease HD650 with quality sound, and very high volumes. The HD650 sounds good as long as it is being fed ENOUGH power. When I first tried out the HD700, I first plugged it into the X3, then I tried it with the X3+E12: both setups had absolutely no problem driving the 700s to a very loud volume, but they sounded aweful! Very thin, very harsh; same with the E9 which had been nicely driving my 650s for 2 years. When I got a Schiit Magni a few weeks ago, I plugged in the HD700 with the X3 as the DAC and they sounded AWESOME!

Long story, still long: The HD700 is picky with source and VERY picky about amps. I think a warmer DAC/Amp is the way to go with the HD700. So while I am not too familiar with either the Grahm or the Bravo, perhaps the Bravo would better suit the 700; I only say this because in general tube amps seem to be warmer than SS amps, though I think most people consider the A2 to be the warmer of the midlevel Schiit amps, while the Lyr is more of a all power type of amp, but I've never heard the Lyr and a few people feel the Lyr and Valhalla are warmer than the A2, my guess it depends on the tube people are rolling.

I also agree that the soundstage is the most noticeable and most striking difference between the HD700 and HD650. Its particularly impressive to me, because I always thought that the HD650 had an excellent soundstage. It's amazing really, going from the Momentums or Amperiors to the HD650, the first thing you notice is how much wider the soundstage is. Its a night and day difference. I honestly think that the difference in soundstage between the HD650 and 700 is nearly as profound as the difference from the Momentum/Amperior to the HD650.

I think the wider soundstage enables the HD700 to have better/more accurate imaging than the HD650, and there is also a noticeable improvement on detail on the HD700 as well: I am finding new sounds in alot of my music, that used to be the HD650s job! Those details have always been there, and I've always heard them, I suppose (because once I find it on the HD700, I can hear it on the HD650, Amperior, Momentum, etc), its just that the HD700 makes their presence easily discerned, no extra effort needed to hear new sounds.

I also agree with Skp44: a nice break in period also helps tame some of the simbilance issues. Also the bass get a little punchier and more refined after a nice break in. The HD700 will never be a basshead can, and I think the HD650 bass will always be better than the HD700's in terms of impact, and equal in terms of tightness and detail of the bass. Yet, I have really grown to appreciate the HD700s bass (even if I prefer the 650s bass, which I also now appreciate more). With a slight tweek in the EQ settings, a warm(ish) Schiit Amp and DAC and good quality music sources, the HD700 is truly a wonderful headphone, don't give up on it, try different amps and sources, once you find the right combo for you, it will become an incredible can.

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,492 of 9,327
The Lyr is most definitely warmer than the Asgard 2. That's with trying the stock tubes (known to not be warm) and OG tubes (known to be fairly warm). I'd go even further and say the SS Schiit options in the A2 and Magni add a level of stridency and distortion to the highs of the HD 700 that don't exist with the Lyr.

But you're right. I'm finding the HD 700 is be very picky with sources and amping.

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #1,493 of 9,327
Hi guys

I have Xonar Essence One Muses Edition dac. I heard this dac works great with HD650 (so is with my HD595) but is it worth to spend extra money for HD700 (its edge of my budget)?. Would u guys consider 700s a bigger step / wiser choice from 595 to pair with my dac?. Im also using foobar2000 with ASIO plugin and self made flacs from my old cds.

- Metallica follower who cant afford HD800

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #1,494 of 9,327
Hi guys

I have Xonar Essence One Muses Edition dac. I heard this dac works great with HD650 (so is with my HD595) but is it worth to spend extra money for HD700 (its edge of my budget)?. Would u guys consider 700s a bigger step / wiser choice from 595 to pair with my dac?. Im also using foobar2000 with ASIO plugin and self made flacs from my old cds.

- Metallica follower who cant afford HD800

I would say so. I came from HD598(minor upgraded from HD595) and the change is dramatic. It is basically a straight upgrade from HD598 IMO in every regards, most notably in the soundstage and the detailing area. I listen to classical and jazz (mostly instrumental with HD700) FYI. Although I won't recommend these for listening to pop or similar genre as the treble will be too prominent and bass isn't that great. Also, HD700 and HD800 are pretty sensitive to bad recording and source, keep that in mind. :)

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #1,495 of 9,327

I would say so. I came from HD598(minor upgraded from HD595) and the change is dramatic. It is basically a straight upgrade from HD598 IMO in every regards, most notably in the soundstage and the detailing area. I listen to classical and jazz (mostly instrumental with HD700) FYI. Although I won't recommend these for listening to pop or similar genre as the treble will be too prominent and bass isn't that great. Also, HD700 and HD800 are pretty sensitive to bad recording and source, keep that in mind. :)

I, in general, like my sound to be on the slightly warmer side of neutral, so I tend to like a very natural sound, with a touch of warmth (though I prefer a completely neutral/analytic sound over a bloated or thin sound). For example, my TT is very neutral, and paired with a Emotiva Phono-PreAmp (very neutral), I tend to enjoy it very well with my Momentums, because they are warmer, so they compliment each other. I have other sources that are quite warm, and find the Momentums to sound bloated, but just right with Amperiors and HD700; the HD650 sound good with everything.

The HD650, compared to the HD700 are warmer, and laid back (but never bloated, never messy). So because I do feel that the HD650s always sounds good (though a bit warmer), its hard to tell if you like a warmer sound or more neutral sound. Would you say the Asus is warmer? I would think a DAC/Amp that's 'perfect' for the HD650 would be something that is very neutral (since my preference is a sound just a tad north of warm); to achieve this with the HD700, I'd prefer a warmer source/amp.

I do agree that the HD700s are much less forgiving with poor recordings, to an extent. If the sound is very grainy, or has very specific treble peaks (5-7Khz), then the HD700 are unforgiving, but I do think they can really bring out some nice detail and controlled sound out recordings whose problems are NOT with very specific treble peaks. I listen to a lot of Jazz, but also to a lot of Blues, Hard Rock, Metal, Electronic, Rap, etc...I basically listen to everything and I think the HD700 are great with many typed of genres, even the bassier stuff like rap and EDM. How versatile the HD700 will depend on how good your recordings are and the amp and DAC. It will never be a bass monster, so if you NEED your rap to bass with authority, and you want a step up from a 595/598 then I would go with the HD650. However, you'd be surprised at how satisfying the bass could be on a 700: it will be very detail and very controlled, you will actually hear the bass strings resonate on a good recording (like Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle on 48/24 DualDisc).

The bass will have more impact and be much more detailed than the HD598s. I think for people who have owned more bassy headphones (like the HD650. Momentums, Beats, etc), will probably find the bass of the 700 a lil off-putting at first (it was for me at the beginning, but I grew to appreciate the different experience in a matter of about 2 weeks, with the better amp and DAC), but going from a HD598 or similar can to the 700, you will probably like the 700s right off the bat.

I agree with SNSDLuv, the improvement over the HD598 should be dramatic. The difference between the HD650 and HD700 in terms of detail is very noticeable, and the difference in soundstage is downright amazing (amazing because the HD650 has a great soundstage). I think the HD700 are THE natural upgrade to the 595/598s. If you like the sound signature of those cans, they HD700 will be everything they are, but just better at everything. The change between the HD650 and HD700 is not quite as natural as they do have a very different sound signature: there are still some specific songs that I still prefer the HD650 over the HD700, but overall, I am very happy with the HD700. Its a great compliment to the HD650, and a natural upgrade to the HD598/595.

Are they worth it? Not at $1000. At $650 (or less), yes, yes they are worth it!

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #1,496 of 9,327
  The Lyr is most definitely warmer than the Asgard 2. That's with trying the stock tubes (known to not be warm) and OG tubes (known to be fairly warm). I'd go even further and say the SS Schiit options in the A2 and Magni add a level of stridency and distortion to the highs of the HD 700 that don't exist with the Lyr.

But you're right. I'm finding the HD 700 is be very picky with sources and amping.

Really? Now you are making me want to spring for a Lyr, what about a Valhalla? or a Vali? Maybe not a Vali for the HD700, but I'd be interested in it to see what it could do with my Amperios.

I absolutely LOVE the sound I get from the A2 and Magni, they both play so well with all my cans. The Magni is particularly impressive, cuz for its price (a couple of tens of dollars over a E9/E09K), it is just such a nice sounding Amp, I would say I prefer the Magni over the A2 for my low impedance Amperiors and Momentums. 

I am so happy with Schiit's products, I wouldn't mind having a Valhalla/Lyr for the HD700, my A2 for the HD650, Magni for the Momentums and Vali for the Amperiors. LOL...stop giving me ideas! 

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #1,497 of 9,327
Just putting it out there, imo, the next natural upgrade to the HD700 that improves clarity and refines the sound more, while having a similar signature is the AKG K812.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #1,498 of 9,327
  Just putting it out there, imo, the next natural upgrade to the HD700 that improves clarity and refines the sound more, while having a similar signature is the AKG K812.

You and Rougue need to stop putting expensive ideas in my head!

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #1,499 of 9,327
Mar 11, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #1,500 of 9,327
  You love it.

I do 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back