Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #781 of 9,319
Never understood how the treble was piercing. It's nothing like the hot treble on the Beyerdynamic T90. Maybe my ears just happen to be dull to the exact frequency where these spike. Like viralcow said, detailing could be better. Also, while I've only driven them with O2, Crack, and WA7, I don't think these scale quite as well with amps as some other headphones in the same price range. Even with the the WA7, these still lacked the detail compared to say the HE-500. Even though around the same price range, I truly believe the HE-500 is in a league above the HD700, mainly due to the scalability of amping. When run through the Emotiva MiniX speaker amp, the HE-500 really shines, and pretty much bests the HD700 in all categories other than soundstage. Then I added a tube preamp to the Emotiva (Quickie), and the soundstage is better as well. The HD700 was my first expensive headphone purchase, and I bought it at $1000 at the time. For the $2000 I spent on the HD700 and WA7, the HE-500 + Emotiva + Quickie could be had for about half the price, and it's a good 50% better. Really as much of a difference as when I went from HD598 to HD700. For me, this combo bested even the HD800 driven through Crack. Of course I have no doubt the HD800 would easily win when paired correctly with a totl amp, but the Crack is a well regarded amp for the HD800, so that says a lot. I have since sold both the HD700 and WA7. I think at the new price of $650, it's a fair price. I view it on par with the T90 for example. The HE-500 just happens to be a steal, though only if you know how to drive them properly. Most people drive them with normal headphone amps, and it doesn't sound too special. For example, I would say the HD700, T90, and HE-500 are all in the same league when driven through the WA7. But the scalability of the HE-500 is what makes it in my mind a league above the HD700 or T90.
Love what you put down here. The HE 500 is definitely in my list as well. As I'm planning to horde and collect, it's likely I'll have different setups for different moods/ days. Could you explain your perception of the differences between the HD700 and the HE500?

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #782 of 9,319
Love what you put down here. The HE 500 is definitely in my list as well. As I'm planning to horde and collect, it's likely I'll have different setups for different moods/ days. Could you explain your perception of the differences between the HD700 and the HE500?

My current HE-500 setup, or with something more common like the WA7 or O2?

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #783 of 9,319
My current HE-500 setup, or with something more common like the WA7 or O2?
Your current setup of the 500s vs the best setup you had with the 700. I'm using a Naim Dac v1 with my 700s (surprisingly good) and I'm considering getting an all rounded tube at some point as well. It's a fun (but expensive) hobby haha :)

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #784 of 9,319
Your current setup of the 500s vs the best setup you had with the 700. I'm using a Naim Dac v1 with my 700s (surprisingly good) and I'm considering getting an all rounded tube at some point as well. It's a fun (but expensive) hobby haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok so Woo Audio WA7 + HD700 vs. Bottlehead Quickie + Emotiva MiniX a-100 + HE-500.

Honestly there really isn't much a competition here. The HD700's biggest weakness here is the lack of details and transparency when compared to my HE-500 setup. The HD700 sound like you're listening to recorded music. The HE-500 sound like instruments are playing in the room. The transparency, details, and soundstaging combined in my HE-500 setup is what makes it a true gem. This is what gives it that sense of realism. It's more fair to compare HE-500 vs HD700 through the WA7 for both. In that case, I remember the HE-500 to be a bit thin sounding, especially on female vocals, around the 2kHz mark. The bass was not as good as the HD700 either, nor was the soundstage. This is because the HE-500 are really power hungry, and the WA7 doesn't deliver nearly enough power. I thin the HE-500 also had more details than HD700, even when under driven. When I switched to just Emotiva alone, it definitely helped with the bass, much more controlled and impactful. The vocals also got better, though still piercing at times if I'm playing loudly. The soundstage became wider, with better separation, but it was still shallow, as in you didn't get a sense of instruments being played far away. At this point only in soundstage depth did the HD700 best the HE-500. When I added the Quickie tube preamp to the chain, it was a game changer. This to me allowed it be elevated to the next league. More detail retrieval, transparency, and most of all, soundstage depth. Everything across the entire spectrum also got smoother and more refined. You can read more about this in some comments I posted in the HE-500 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-impressions-and-feedback

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #785 of 9,319
I had both of the HE-500 and HD700 for more than 8 months. to me they were on the same league but the HD700 was much more comfortable.  My HE-500 just collected dust because I always picked up the more comfortable one first, so I sold my HE-500 last month.  
If someone looks for details, definitely the HD800 and T1 have more details than both of the HD700 and HE-500.  

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #786 of 9,319
Interesting read, those last posts.

From my point of view HD700 is awesome and I'am definitely not letting them go. As for treble issue, YES... it is there and you will notice it a lot on some recordings if you like to listen loud as I do.

I liked HD700 few weeks, but when I heard them thru Accudio eq, that was the time when I fall in love with them :) Everything sounds "even" (I can focus on bass guitar or cymbals or vocals whatever I want and non of them is recesed), dynamics are best I've ever heard, but there are no painfull peaks at all. Music is still "sharp" bass tight, imaging, resolution and so on .. best I've heard so far. I liked T1 with Lyr, but HD700 is definitely winner for me.

I would seriously advice you guys to try Accudio if you get a chance.

Oh and main thing ... I can listen to everything, seriously everything from something like Adema - Close Friends which is so dark recording that it sounded terrible on nearly everything to for example Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #787 of 9,319
Ok so Woo Audio WA7 + HD700 vs. Bottlehead Quickie + Emotiva MiniX a-100 + HE-500.

Honestly there really isn't much a competition here. The HD700's biggest weakness here is the lack of details and transparency when compared to my HE-500 setup. The HD700 sound like you're listening to recorded music. The HE-500 sound like instruments are playing in the room. The transparency, details, and soundstaging combined in my HE-500 setup is what makes it a true gem. This is what gives it that sense of realism. It's more fair to compare HE-500 vs HD700 through the WA7 for both. In that case, I remember the HE-500 to be a bit thin sounding, especially on female vocals, around the 2kHz mark. The bass was not as good as the HD700 either, nor was the soundstage. This is because the HE-500 are really power hungry, and the WA7 doesn't deliver nearly enough power. I thin the HE-500 also had more details than HD700, even when under driven. When I switched to just Emotiva alone, it definitely helped with the bass, much more controlled and impactful. The vocals also got better, though still piercing at times if I'm playing loudly. The soundstage became wider, with better separation, but it was still shallow, as in you didn't get a sense of instruments being played far away. At this point only in soundstage depth did the HD700 best the HE-500. When I added the Quickie tube preamp to the chain, it was a game changer. This to me allowed it be elevated to the next league. More detail retrieval, transparency, and most of all, soundstage depth. Everything across the entire spectrum also got smoother and more refined. You can read more about this in some comments I posted in the HE-500 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-impressions-and-feedback

It would be interesting to see what happened if u drove the Hd 700 on your new setup. I personally feel the 700s need more power than their puny 150ohm suggests.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 500s though, I'm actually thinking it will be a compliment rather than an outclass - comfort alone the 700s will possibly be the most comfortable headphones I've worn, the fact it is lighter than the 800s actually are part of the reason for me.

Thank you for your impressions.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #788 of 9,319
I heard HE500 out of the Ember project and I liked it a lot, to the point to buy them. Then I had the opportunity to get the HD700 for a very good price so I bought them. I have a friend who bought a HE500 so I had the chance to listen to them again but driven by a TEAC DAC and an old audio-gd amp. I was so disappointed by the result that I even prefered my HD700 out of my microstreamer + O2,honnestly.
I only wish more sub bass on the Senn and they would be close to perfect for me.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #789 of 9,319
I think the HD700 through my current setup would blow up. Dynamics don't need as much power as orthos. The HE-500 didn't stand out until properly driven and I bet many don't have it driven properly.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #790 of 9,319
I think the HD700 through my current setup would blow up. Dynamics don't need as much power as orthos. The HE-500 didn't stand out until properly driven and I bet many don't have it driven properly.

Both dynamics and orthos need power, but dynamics need more voltage and orthos need more current. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #791 of 9,319
I believe the majority of opposing views really comes down to the shape, size and angle of the individual’s ear canal, if the higher frequencies have more of a direct line of sight to the ear drum they will indeed be perceived as sharp or bright.
Also the angle or shape of the canal could also affect different frequencies, which would be perceived as a spike and adversely as a drop. Shorter/longer ear canals would be akin to pad thickness, which will change bass perception.
Not to forget the shape and size of the head, “hairy” ears, age, those who recurrent sinus problems etc, etc and it’s a wonder we can agree on anything, the HD700's obviously being no exception.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #792 of 9,319

I am new to the hobby and while I've tested a great many headphones, I've never touched an ortho mainly because the local Jaben doesn't carry either the Hifimans or the Audueze.

I have however powered my 700s with a Dacmagic Plus, and it was veiled, underpowered & didn't have that sharp decay which I've grown to love post upgrading. The product was rated at 600Ohm output - more than sufficient on paper for the 700s. It was, just not enough to drive to it's full potential.

Thanks again on the helpful post. I'm convinced the HE 500s are awesome, and I put in an offer to someone on head if for one today :)

That doesn't take away a few things, to my ears about the HD700s:

1) Great Clarity
2) Great Separation
3) Quick Decaying Bass (which sounds really nice to my ears though sometimes I wish it had more punch)
4) Great imaging
5) Great soundstaging

The sound quality to me was something I truly enjoyed. But then that in itself wasn't what made it my GO -TO headphones for work at the office.

It was the fact that they are so comfortable they are almost godly. It is the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn - and when u throw in SQ of that quality in a package, well - we have a winner there.

This is one set of heads I can listen to for hours on end.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #793 of 9,319
I am thinking of getting a HD700 due to the price drop. Should I get it or should I wait for CES 2014? The recent huge price drop on HD700 makes me feel suspicious that Sennheiser will be releasing something that will replace it?

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #794 of 9,319
I am thinking of getting a HD700 due to the price drop. Should I get it or should I wait for CES 2014? The recent huge price drop on HD700 makes me feel suspicious that Sennheiser will be releasing something that will replace it?

A forum member named "Nomax" correctly scooped the forum on the release of the AKG 812 and the new SPL Phonitor 2. He also has asserted that Sennheiser will be releasing a new flagship sometime in early 2014. He says the price will be more than $2K. Sennheiser also has allowed the HD800 to go on sale for $1,350. Earlier in this thread, someone stated that they heard Sennheiser was dropping the HD700. All this could mean that Sennheiser will be slotting the HD800 into the spot now occupied by the HD700 as the penultimate Sennheiser offering.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #795 of 9,319

Whatever they replace it with will most likely not be 650, probly more like 1k. But this is just speculation. I'm hoping mine will sound good paired with a Burson Soloist with a V-DACII....any thoughts on this possible pairing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back