Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 15, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #6,586 of 6,751
HD 660s2 has arrived, in the middle of my first listen and oh yes they are good. I'll do some comparisons with 660s later

Edit 1: They've brought tears to my eyes already and several boughts of chills. I love this feeling
never got tears about my 660s 2 but they sound very good no doubt.
made me wonder how you would feel when you try out the He 1

May 15, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #6,587 of 6,751
never got tears about my 660s 2 but they sound very good no doubt.
made me wonder how you would feel when you try out the He 1
Wish I could. I've had emotional moments with my music in several ways, some headphones just do it better than others

May 15, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #6,588 of 6,751
Curious if any have experience with both the HD660S2 and Dan Clark Audio Ether 2. I currently have those and I listen to them using the XLR balanced cable and Violetric V281 amp. That setup sounds good but I don't find it extremely exciting if that makes sense. Might the HD660S2 provide that?

Edit: snooping around online a little since I posted this, maybe the Meze 109 Pro is something I should consider also
660s2 with violetric v226 sounds very very well, beaty sensation

May 15, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #6,589 of 6,751
Is the 660S v2 worth getting as my only HD600 series headphone. I have the 600 (marble version) and 6XX right now.

May 15, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #6,590 of 6,751
Is the 660S v2 worth getting as my only HD600 series headphone. I have the 600 (marble version) and 6XX right now.
I owned the HD600's and the HD6XX's twice each. All four moved on after a few months. I just got bored with them. I didn't dislike them, but didn't love them. And the same with the HD660S's.

As a last stab at Sennheiser I picked up a used set of HD660S2's. I was blown away at first. After a few months I started to get a bit bored again and watched @jonathan c do a mod on his set. He pulled the filters off the drivers and said they opened up. I copied him and was blown away by the sound. I put on some nylon to protect the drivers after a day or two and they are now part of my top four and will never leave my collection.

Bottom line is that I am not a huge Senn fan, but I do love these headphones.

May 15, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #6,591 of 6,751
I owned the HD600's and the HD6XX's twice each. All four moved on after a few months. I just got bored with them. I didn't dislike them, but didn't love them. And the same with the HD660S's.

As a last stab at Sennheiser I picked up a used set of HD660S2's. I was blown away at first. After a few months I started to get a bit bored again and watched @jonathan c do a mod on his set. He pulled the filters off the drivers and said they opened up. I copied him and was blown away by the sound. I put on some nylon to protect the drivers after a day or two and they are now part of my top four and will never leave my collection.

Honestly the HD 660S2 is probably the least boring Sennheiser I had in terms of inherent character, it was really nice to me at first too. Sadly fatigue is what caused me issues and I haven't been able to properly address it, removing the foam sadly didn't work either though it did make it more enjoyable to listen to. They'll be on the backburner until I get a nice tube amp. Honestly after trying out all of the HD 6xx line, I just settled on using the R70x with an aftermarket cable (stock cable is garbage) and the DT 900 Pro X for now as they suit my ears and system more. Also going to start trying out different stuff now, going to try out one of those new Focal's coming out and see what I think, never actually owned a Focal.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #6,592 of 6,751
Honestly the HD 660S2 is probably the least boring Sennheiser I had in terms of inherent character, it was really nice to me at first too. Sadly fatigue is what caused me issues and I haven't been able to properly address it, removing the foam sadly didn't work either though it did make it more enjoyable to listen to. They'll be on the backburner until I get a nice tube amp. Honestly after trying out all of the HD 6xx line, I just settled on using the R70x with an aftermarket cable (stock cable is garbage) for now as it suits my ears and system more. Also going to start trying out different stuff now, going to try out one of those new Focal's coming out and see what I think, never actually owned a Focal.
I had a good day for sales, but my HD660S2's will not be happy with the results. With these, my favourite amp was the Valhalla 2.
Funny thing is I was thinking about deleting the ad when I was contacted by a nickle and dimer who wanted to get pieces of the package for Cheap. This confirmed my thought to cancel the ad today.
Then a couple of hours later I get contacted by a guy that wants the whole package and we strike a deal. I kept thinking about backing out but went ahead with it. :smile:

PS: Also sold my HiFiman HE6se V2's today.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #6,593 of 6,751

Do you have a link or anything for this mod? Just got mine and am gonna spend some more time with them tonight

May 16, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #6,594 of 6,751
Do you have a link or anything for this mod? Just got mine and am gonna spend some more time with them tonight
If you search the thread, it should be easy to find.
You just pull the pads off, remove the filter and put the pads back on. Try it for a day or two and then see if you like the sound. If you do, you will have to put mesh or nylon on to protect the drivers. If not, just put them back in.

But I would recommend that you just listen to them stock for a few weeks first and get a feel for their stock sound.

May 16, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #6,595 of 6,751
Honestly the HD 660S2 is probably the least boring Sennheiser I had in terms of inherent character, it was really nice to me at first too. Sadly fatigue is what caused me issues and I haven't been able to properly address it, removing the foam sadly didn't work either though it did make it more enjoyable to listen to. They'll be on the backburner until I get a nice tube amp. Honestly after trying out all of the HD 6xx line, I just settled on using the R70x with an aftermarket cable (stock cable is garbage) and the DT 900 Pro X for now as they suit my ears and system more. Also going to start trying out different stuff now, going to try out one of those new Focal's coming out and see what I think, never actually owned a Focal.

R70X? Is that an Audio Technica headphone?

May 16, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #6,597 of 6,751
HD 660s2 has arrived, in the middle of my first listen and oh yes they are good. I'll do some comparisons with 660s later

Edit 1: They've brought tears to my eyes already and several boughts of chills. I love this feeling
On a headphone right out the box without any break in? Wonder how you'll feel when the sound changes as they break-in?

Not saying things will get worse, but that a change will happen; subtle, but still.

May 16, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #6,598 of 6,751
Yes it is, closest sounding headphone I’ve heard to the HD 6xx line outside of the HD 6xx line including other Senns. Some benefits and some drawbacks compared to the HD 6xx line.

Well I have both the HD600 (marble version) and the HD6XX from Drop. I feel like I need to have at least one of the 600 series in my line up. That makes it difficult to sell either one. Also I need to find new pads for one of them. But they are expensive. https://www.amazon.ca/Genuine-Repla...&qid=1715884241&sprefix=hd600+,aps,105&sr=8-7 I have Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads on my 600 right now. I really like them compared to the stock pads. But they are backordered right now.

May 16, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #6,599 of 6,751
Yes it is, closest sounding headphone I’ve heard to the HD 6xx line outside of the HD 6xx line including other Senns. Some benefits and some drawbacks compared to the HD 6xx line.
And the lightest and most comfortable headphone ever. I regularly forgot I was wearing it.

And SUPER affordable, especially used.

May 16, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #6,600 of 6,751
Well I have both the HD600 (marble version) and the HD6XX from Drop. I feel like I need to have at least one of the 600 series in my line up. That makes it difficult to sell either one. Also I need to find new pads for one of them. But they are expensive. https://www.amazon.ca/Genuine-Replacement-SENNHEISER-HD650-Headphones/dp/B002B4OKYU/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1L0725IDENJAT&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.OzEFjvqu7Of3kd694LEj8YSy7ZX1rqH5MUEQlrrWJddWGb6rJTWogi_RVWdmRZpS3yyZeQkgl6WsvnXstmnkKAZEChrxhpE1FVxChQSsGVrsSrDlJdZPfLr6W6Te8OV9hHVM6bISv_igJWV0hUK8yd1St8-nvwcQtCWU7Fb0iueuwRMEnKx2LsmgaJqw05mXsLN7H4cpHR22291vgGcQnRPQCqOpSmlSYP7ZbgdqwQnKFuOJUibsdfqw-6JZvYL6LmKc-hoB_1rxt7HIctiqQlAEMTc7xJ9W2a7vFGFo0RE.uBVzKgA5xu6e7ebW8_McBs28coY-dq4fU6xpn-aTB6w&dib_tag=se&keywords=hd600+earpads&qid=1715884241&sprefix=hd600+,aps,105&sr=8-7 I have Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads on my 600 right now. I really like them compared to the stock pads. But they are backordered right now.
I think it’s worthwhile to have at least one HD 6xx headphone in ones lineup. The R70x is simply the only non HD 6xx headphone I found that fills the HD 6xx role for me. I do think the S2 is more resolving and technically capable than the R70x, whereas the R70x is more neutral and spacious sounding, I find the R70x falls more along the HD 660S1 and HD 600 tuning than the HD 660S2 or HD 650 tuning. Yeah genuine pads on headphones can be pricey and it gets worse the more expensive the headphone is.

What I would personally love to see from Senn is the HD 660S2 level (or better) driver tuned more akin to the HD 600.

And the lightest and most comfortable headphone ever. I regularly forgot I was wearing it.

And SUPER affordable, especially used.
Yeah, they are my most comfortable headphones. I frequently forget I’m wearing them myself. They only weigh 210g, that 50g of weight savings from the HD 6xx line (260g) makes a notable difference. Some do find the pads too small so for those people the Senns are probably more comfortable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back