Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Oct 1, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #5,146 of 6,720
That's right, so you've already experienced that the 660 S2 is a balanced, natural-tuned headphone, while the hd800S has a terrible mid-high and high-tuned sound, with no bass weight or body. while technically they know 95% of the hd800S. that's why those people who only start from what it costs are stupid and immediately take it for granted that what is more expensive is better. meanwhile, there are plenty of counterexamples to this in Hifi, the price above a certain level is not relevant in terms of sound quality.
Exactly, in the store they let me test with my Astell & Kern SP3000 the Focal clear, HD800S and one MEZE, the MEZE was the clear winner. The Focal Clear gave me the same sensation than the HD800S, way too high in the highs, i mean the songs were destroyed, not listenable this way, a sort of distortion. I am not a bass head but the power of rock dont go with these headphones.. Some will tell it will be fine with amp tubes and EQ.. I dont have amp tubes and i dont want to EQ so finally i went for 660S2 because of price and design :L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #5,147 of 6,720
Exactly, in the store they let me test with my Astell & Kern SP3000 the Focal clear, HD800S and one MEZE, the MEZE was the clear winner. The Focal Clear gave me the same sensation than the HD800S, way too high in the highs, i mean the songs were destroyed, not listenable this way, a sort of distortion. I am not a bass head but the power of rock dont go with these headphones.. Some will tell it will be fine with amp tubes and EQ.. I dont have amp tubes and i dont want to EQ so finally i went for 660S2 because of price and design :L3000:
you liked the s2 better in design than the meze? (109?) shame on you! even if i love both the s2 and the 109. the clear winner in design for me is the meze

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #5,148 of 6,720
you liked the s2 better in design than the meze? (109?) shame on you! even if i love both the s2 and the 109. the clear winner in design for me is the meze
Visual design not for the comfort, for the comfort i think the HD800S was the better. I found the MEZE too complicated in the visual design. The Meze i tried is not the 109, it was EMPYREAN

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #5,149 of 6,720
I'm not arguing, just observing. Didn't you mention there 800 related to S2? Perhaps clumsily written, but you did. Otherwise, I wouldn't write anything.
I believe that S2 are fabulous headphones. I get it; audiophiles are never satisfied; that's the name of the game: always in pursuit of the holy grail of headphones. :)
Sorry, I am just on the opposite side and observing from that perspective. As Buddhist teaching would say...there is never one truth; it's always two! :wink:

I love it when headphones have character, even if it's not measured correctly...Having multiple headphones, I love it when they provide me different experiences from a single song...it's beautiful. There's nothing to complain about; it's like experiencing multiple artists sing songs from one particular...as was the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert in '92. But now I have one at home just for myself :)
How can I blame the headphones? It would be like blaming Annie Lennox for not being as great with her songs or George Michael performing better than the rest and no one doing as well as Freddie would.

When people mention things with negatives more than once and continue repeating them, it just gives the impression of them being disappointed. There is no need to repeat it; one time is enough. :)

More important would be, for the rest of people searching for new headphones, that you write what you think are better headphones in that range you have tried.

Which headphones do you have and consider a better deal? That would be the constructive approach. Give those people searching for alternative, headphones you have tried and find better.

That's my approach: to help with information when or if I can.

I returned headphones lately, but what's the point of repeating my experience with them on that thread when it was already written multiple times?
Plenty of people love them; why would I spoil their enjoyment? I'd rather share the positives.

I hope this helps. :)

Cheers!
'why would I spoil their enjoyment?'

Firstly - you'd have to be massively weak minded to allow this.

Secondly - never said they are bad - I've said I like them but I find the bass disappointing. For me - it is. I'm not comparing them to other 600 series as I have never owned any. But for what is supposed to be a headphone with significant bottom end - they are absolutely lacking. I don't have any overheads to compare them to - I am using my Mest MK II IEM when I want a bit of bass which is obviously a ridiculous comparison as they're not headphones and they cost a hell of a lot more.

Oct 2, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #5,150 of 6,720
I am using my Mest MK II IEM when I want a bit of bass which is obviously a ridiculous comparison as they're not headphones and they cost a hell of a lot more.
If you compare to an IEM with a 10dB bass elevation, the bass on all HD headphones is very subtle, or if that is your gold standard, non existing, lol. But that is ok, it all comes down to personal taste. The bass of my Sennheiser IE900 looks quite similar to your MEST MK II, but I can enjoy the HD660S2 too, because I use them in different environments. If the music call for it, the IE900 has a bass to to kill for, but for most of my music I do not need that much.
I used Crinacle's graphs to compare the IEMs for the record.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #5,151 of 6,720
Might be good for our UK folks. On eBay UK , sennheiser outlet have refurb hd 660s2. For around £360. I'm sticking with my 660s for now.

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #5,152 of 6,720
Might be good for our UK folks. On eBay UK , sennheiser outlet have refurb hd 660s2. For around £360.
Good pricing...
https://uk.sennheiser-hearing.com/collections/outlet/products/hd-660-s-2-refurbished
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285472580137

I'm sticking with my 660s for now.
The HD660S is fine IMHO, the S2 is an evolution and fixes some of the "minor" shortcomings or tuning which some may appreciate but if one is just fine with the HD660S I see no reason to purchase something new. :)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #5,154 of 6,720
Good pricing...
https://uk.sennheiser-hearing.com/collections/outlet/products/hd-660-s-2-refurbished
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285472580137

The HD660S is fine IMHO, the S2 is an evolution and fixes some of the "minor" shortcomings or tuning which some may appreciate but if one is just fine with the HD660S I see no reason to purchase something new. :)
Rob. Yeah I'm happy for now with the 660s. Plus if you check my profile I have a fair few good headphones, Inc, Hd580, hd600, and the 660s . Plus I also collect portable speakers too, lol. So they can wait . Lol

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #5,155 of 6,720
Now that I've banned myself from the NDH30 thread I've been thinking what would be the next step for Sennheiser. I was really hoping the Neumann would be the missing link between the S2 and the 800S but for what ever reason I could not, cannot shake the fact that I wasn't listening to two studio monitors, which is exactly what Neumann intended and even praised as such from pro reviewers, as I've mentioned elsewhere.
"After my first tests with the NDH 30 I am pleasantly surprised: the sound is certainly comparable to that of my MA-1
system, which consists of KH120 and KH750 monitors.....

.......... If you set the same volume on both, you might almost think that you are using your listening station, when in reality, you’re
using your headphones. Fascinating!"

And as much as I really like both the S2 and 800S, but for very different reasons I'd still like to see hear Sennheiser come out with the 3rd element combining the strengths of both, I am at the age where I need progressives.:beyersmile:
The NDH30 works for some as that missing link but I'd l personally would like to see another phone developed from the ground up, aka HD700 if feasible.
Axel Grell has his new phone nearing completion but if I'm not mistaken that is something completely different still.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #5,156 of 6,720
Plus if you check my profile I have a fair few good headphones
How are the HD450? I'm thinking of picking up a pair of the 450SE wireless, again good pricing on the outlet.....
I just tried some Master Dynamic MH40W and while not bad and a cool design the arms are too short for my head. : (
....so I had to send them back.
Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 5.38.42 PM.png

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #5,157 of 6,720
Now that I've banned myself from the NDH30 thread I've been thinking what would be the next step for Sennheiser. I was really hoping the Neumann would be the missing link between the S2 and the 800S but for what ever reason I could not, cannot shake the fact that I wasn't listening to two studio monitors, which is exactly what Neumann intended and even praised as such from pro reviewers, as I've mentioned elsewhere.
"After my first tests with the NDH 30 I am pleasantly surprised: the sound is certainly comparable to that of my MA-1

.......... If you set the same volume on both, you might almost think that you are using your listening station, when in reality, you’re

And as much as I really like both the S2 and 800S, but for very different reasons I'd still like to see hear Sennheiser come out with the 3rd element combining the strengths of both, I am at the age where I need progressives.:beyersmile:
The NDH30 works for some as that missing link but I'd l personally would like to see another phone developed from the ground up, aka HD700 if feasible.
Axel Grell has his new phone nearing completion but if I'm not mistaken that is something completely different still.
I'm afraid if they release an HD900S version, it would be even more analytical, drier, flatter, more boring, again without a full sub range, like the hd800S. save this post of mine, frame it, cover it with gold, because believe me, I will be right. HD 6xx series sound will never be implemented in 8xx 9xx series.

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #5,158 of 6,720

Did you ever try out the Drop HD8XX headphone?

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #5,159 of 6,720
I'm afraid if they release an HD900S version, it would be even more analytical, drier, flatter, more boring, again without a full sub range, like the hd800S.
I'm thinking the HD750S :sunglasses:, the HD800S IMHO is already maxed out for analytical, for its tonal balance and head space full sub range will not work properly and IMHO is currently just fine when properly powered. : )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back