Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Sep 30, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #5,131 of 6,722
so you've already experienced that the 660 S2 is a balanced, natural-tuned headphone,
That we can agree on....
while the hd800S has a terrible mid-high and high-tuned sound, with no bass weight or body.
Believe that really comes down to source and amplification, I always have powered my HD800S since they came out (2016?) off a Bryston BHA1 and also Sennheiser's own HDVD800 and with either could I say the HD800S "has a terrible mid-high and high-tuned sound, with no bass weight or body."
I can see their presentation may be challenging or foreign to standard headphone listeners and so called sub bass may be lacking but it is rare that I miss it and I do appreciate my well produced EDM.
https://tidal.com/browse/album/198970507
Screenshot 2023-09-30 at 1.40.11 PM.png

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #5,132 of 6,722
I always need some time to equalize my hearing system to any different headphone. So going from the HD660S2 to my HD800 always takes some time. And after this time passed, the bass on the HD800 is very good with most of my music. My only gripe with the HD800 is that I find it far less comfortable than the HD6XX line. The larger earpieces do not really fit my skull so good. For me the HD6XX line is just a perfect fit and sound.

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #5,133 of 6,722
I always need some time to equalize my hearing system to any different headphone. So going from the HD660S2 to my HD800 always takes some time.
That's a given for all phones and even more with phones like the HD800/S which are a completely different aural presentation. I just had my sojourn with the much appreciated Neumann NDH30, and while they sound fine as a monitor, switching over to the HD800S was rather quite profound for me, like walking from the control booth to front center stage of the auditorium.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #5,134 of 6,722
If you tell Carl Cox that he plays EDM music...he would be massively pissed off!!! :) And he is a big, big man...I wouldn't like to be anywhere near him when saying that :)))

And I absolutely have no problems listening to GOA Trance, Techno... with HD800S...I think some people are just too sensitive, and some are resilient...there is nothing wrong with headphones...it's the people :))

Did I mention HD800S and GOA on high volume!! :)

Sep 30, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #5,135 of 6,722
Very happy with the 660S2. I went in a store to listen to the HD800S first before buying the 660S2, you cant play rock and hiphop on the HD800S so i took the 660S2. I tested with ACDC, Nirvana and BOOBA i was disappointed with the highs too highs and the bass too weak... The 660S2 is perfect for whom listen to all type of musics
BOOBA ? 😮 Are you French ?

Sep 30, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #5,136 of 6,722
If you tell Carl Cox that he plays EDM music...he would be massively pissed off!!!
Well you got me into Carl Cox, thanks, so I'll blame you. : )
It's all music to me, Electronically made Music for Dancing.

Did I mention HD800S and GOA on high volume!! :)
Believe you did and if not the 800S then it was the 820s. : )

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #5,138 of 6,722
Well you got me into Carl Cox, thanks, so I'll blame you. : )
It's all music to me, Electronically made Music for Dancing.
Yes, music is the best to call music, in general, but actually there was a genre in the late '80s and early to mid '90s called Italo/European Dance :))) and it's entirely opposite to Techno, House etc... Dance is way commercial. I don't know where, when and who put that D in the middle. :)
You can dance to any music...and you don't call it Rock Dance, Pop Dance, or Punk Dance. :) Yes, yes...Carl is King, and that's why I am saying...no, don't call his music D :))

P.S. UMEK is a local guy from Slovenia. In the 90s, I've been to a lot of his gigs.

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #5,140 of 6,722
Why would you think that? They are not in the same league/price. HD820 brought more bass compared to HD800. That's the same league.

I can't comment on the whole 6xx series. I never tried any of them, only S2. And I can say that they are versatile and good/great at everything. You can play any music; they are good, and you can play them on tubes or solid state amps. With the natural-sounding DAC, S2 is excellent again.

I have a couple of other headphones I enjoy a lot and are in the same league, but I can't say they are so versatile for any of them.

Why did you expect more bass with S2? I didn't. They have enough bass and are very precise, and what's most important to me is that they are so exciting and involving.
I have two other headphones at the same level Ibasso SR3 and Monolith 1060C, which I like a lot, but if I have to keep one of these three, I would keep S2 without second thinking. I would be missing these two...but S2 would stay for sure.

These things are very much individual.

The whole story reminds me of the talks about espresso and espresso machines and grinders and coffee, the level of roasts and aromas, etc. So many theories.
There are hundreds of wrong and right ways when you listen to what everyone has to say...but in the end, the thing is very individual...because we all are so different. There isn't one or a few ways; there are many ways.

I think that you made a mistake expecting something that there wasn't any chance you could find there, like expecting to find a fox with a rabbit's nature :)

What other headphones did you try, or do you have so you could compare to S2?

But they are double the price of S2, aren't they?

It seems very bizarre that you arguing I am not allowed to be disappointed.

Not sure why you've assumed I expected them to be in the same league as the 800. Where did I state this? A contrast doe not necessarily mean you're going to spend the same amount of money on something.

I bought my Fatfreq Maestro Mini as a contrast to my Mest MKII, as they have a very different sound with very heavy bass for a fraction of the price.

Do you understand this concept now? What about the concept of being personally disappointed? Does that make sense now? Or is everything absolutely black & white and is either wrong or right with no middle ground?

I didn't want to break the bank. They were primarily for gaming in situations where I wanted a bit more bass, eg driving games. So wouldn't be used much.

660S2's bottom end is comparable with IEMs that have a very slightly elevated bass. I wasn't expecting bass cannons, but they are much thinner on bottom end than I'd hoped after everything I'd read about them. I generally use my Mest MKII if I want something a bit more bassy for gaming now.

Oct 1, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #5,141 of 6,722
The HD660S2 are fine for $399, but they aren't that special. I honestly hoped they'd have more bass as a total contrast to the 800 - they don't.
I'm not arguing, just observing. Didn't you mention there 800 related to S2? Perhaps clumsily written, but you did. Otherwise, I wouldn't write anything.
I believe that S2 are fabulous headphones. I get it; audiophiles are never satisfied; that's the name of the game: always in pursuit of the holy grail of headphones. :)
Sorry, I am just on the opposite side and observing from that perspective. As Buddhist teaching would say...there is never one truth; it's always two! :wink:

I love it when headphones have character, even if it's not measured correctly...Having multiple headphones, I love it when they provide me different experiences from a single song...it's beautiful. There's nothing to complain about; it's like experiencing multiple artists sing songs from one particular...as was the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert in '92. But now I have one at home just for myself :)
How can I blame the headphones? It would be like blaming Annie Lennox for not being as great with her songs or George Michael performing better than the rest and no one doing as well as Freddie would.

When people mention things with negatives more than once and continue repeating them, it just gives the impression of them being disappointed. There is no need to repeat it; one time is enough. :)

More important would be, for the rest of people searching for new headphones, that you write what you think are better headphones in that range you have tried.

Which headphones do you have and consider a better deal? That would be the constructive approach. Give those people searching for alternative, headphones you have tried and find better.

That's my approach: to help with information when or if I can.

I returned headphones lately, but what's the point of repeating my experience with them on that thread when it was already written multiple times?
Plenty of people love them; why would I spoil their enjoyment? I'd rather share the positives.

I hope this helps. :)

Cheers!

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #5,142 of 6,722
It is just natural that everybody prefers different headphones for various of reasons. I prefer different headphones for gaming and music.

For fps gaming my preference is HD800S > HD598 > HD660S > HD660S2 > Utopia 2022.
Too much bass and dynamic range makes it harder to hear all the faint cues for example footsteps and reload sounds... behind explosions and gunshots.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #5,144 of 6,722
Unlike my brothers I do not do gaming but I could imagine my K872 or the K812 being even better than the HD800S.
For gaming I use the Dolby Atmos plugin for Windows. This works with any dac/amp and any headphone. Turns the headphone into a sorround system. In some games you even get Atmos like sound from above and below.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #5,145 of 6,722
Unlike my brothers I do not do gaming but I could imagine my K872 or the K812 being even better than the HD800S.

I have never heard those but they shure might be good for gaming. That said, HD800S are pretty much considered one of the best if not the best gaming headphones.

I also use the Dolby Atmos plugin for gaming that pietcux mentioned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back