Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 25, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #1,651 of 6,800
No room to hookup my darkvoice right now but I dusted off my old Luxman-R115 and I’d forgotten how dynamics can really sing on these vintage (is 80s vintage now?) amps. The bass just roared like a monster in the dungeon and has that real old-school warm sound compared to the more metallic tinge I find in modern phones. That is what I love about the Sennheiser line is how versatile they are, I still liked it yesterday but on an old analog amp without all the modern digital processing it really gives Focal a run for its money in the dynamics department.
In the heyday of stereo receivers, mid-1970s to mid-1980s, the headphone jack (outlet) was connected to the speaker (main) amplifier output stage - with resistors added to ‘step up’ close to headphone impedances vs the 4-ohm / 8-ohm nominal impedance of popular loudspeakers. The headphone received, in effect, the dynamics from the amplifier that a loudspeaker would receive.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #1,652 of 6,800
In the heyday of stereo receivers, mid-1970s to mid-1980s, the headphone jack (outlet) was connected to the speaker (main) amplifier output stage - with resistors added to ‘step up’ close to headphone impedances vs the 4-ohm / 8-ohm nominal impedance of popular loudspeakers. The headphone received, in effect, the dynamics from the amplifier that a loudspeaker would receive.
Exact. Which is why I’ve always kept and still use the Kenwood KA-8006 Int Amp, 70wpc, [1974] that my brother gave me some 20 years ago. I was with him when he bought it, brand new back in 1974.
8C609B66-6DA7-48A4-BDBE-A4430EADDBAD.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #1,653 of 6,800
No room to hookup my darkvoice right now but I dusted off my old Luxman-R115 and I’d forgotten how dynamics can really sing on these vintage (is 80s vintage now?) amps. The bass just roared like a monster in the dungeon and has that real old-school warm sound compared to the more metallic tinge I find in modern phones. That is what I love about the Sennheiser line is how versatile they are, I still liked it yesterday but on an old analog amp without all the modern digital processing it really gives Focal a run for its money in the dynamics department.
Most of the times older amplifiers and receivers have very high headphone output impedance which results to audibly higher levels in some frequency areas selectively. These are the frequencies where a headphone has higher impedances (by the lows of electricity). Luckily, with 6 series headphones this happens intensely in the bass area giving us the choice to tune up the bass using such outputs. This is percieved as more dynamics as well.

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #1,654 of 6,800
  1. I've never owned an HD6x0, but am strongly considering it
  2. The 660S2 currently costs CAD$800
  3. The 600 currently costs CAD$400
  4. *edit* Holy crap, the 660S is also down to CAD$400 right now
Discuss. For someone who's looking for an entry to "that legendary 6x0 sound" is the S2 genuinely worth twice it's siblings?
I can’t answer the question because I haven’t heard it, but right now the 660S looks like a bargain. Of course, I understand it’s very difficult to quantify these things, but there’s no way that the 660S2 can be 50% better than the original.

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #1,655 of 6,800
Well ymmv but i found Utopia / HD800 midrange more transparent and airy than HD6xx series even its more "correct" or not.
Excess treble can make it sound like that. But even EQ'd away, those cans do have more technicals that the 600. But the 600 stock on an OTL does win in midrange timbre over those cans.

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #1,656 of 6,800
Most of the times older amplifiers and receivers have very high headphone output impedance which results to audibly higher levels in some frequency areas selectively. These are the frequencies where a headphone has higher impedances (by the lows of electricity). Luckily, with 6 series headphones this happens intensely in the bass area giving us the choice to tune up the bass using such outputs. This is percieved as more dynamics as well.
This is often true out of the headphone jack, not so often from the taps.

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #1,657 of 6,800
Agree...I'm thinking more in line with infamous Roger's LS3's : )
Umm, infamous? That has a negative connotation.
I would like to ask if anyone has tried the 660S2 with the xDuoo TA-26 OTL amplifier (or DarkVoice 336SE, similar design...) ?
I've tried the HD-600 with that amp just a few weeks ago. I thought it was quite nice, better for instance than my Ragnarok 1, but marginally not as good as my Bottlehead Crack Speedball with a good $500 worth of upgrades. The stock bottlehead w/o speedball is a bit tubier by memory.

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #1,659 of 6,800
I've tried the HD-600 with that amp just a few weeks ago. I thought it was quite nice, better for instance than my Ragnarok 1, but marginally not as good as my Bottlehead Crack Speedball with a good $500 worth of upgrades. The stock bottlehead w/o speedball is a bit tubier by memory.
Thanks for the reply, I've already tried tube swapping with the TA-26 and currently I'm most happy with the Russian NOS 6N8S (Foton) and 6N5S (Svetlana) in conjunction with the HD600. I was wondering if anyone has tested if this amplifier plays "warmer" with warm playing headphones (according to the manufacturer's description) 660S2 ? I am very tempted by them and am considering expanding the HD6x0 "family". I like that warm and syrupy sound...

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #1,660 of 6,800
This track sounds insane on the 660S2. Dynamics on full display.

Find it on your non-crappy listening app of choice. Just linking youtube for ease.

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #1,662 of 6,800
Lol...players and audience alike are all wearing headphones...must be an after hours club....live streaming taken to an all new level. : )
Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 9.41.23 AM.png
Hehe.

Snarky Puppy records most of their albums live in this format. Its pretty damn remarkable.

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #1,663 of 6,800
  1. I've never owned an HD6x0, but am strongly considering it
  2. The 660S2 currently costs CAD$800
  3. The 600 currently costs CAD$400
  4. *edit* Holy crap, the 660S is also down to CAD$400 right now
Discuss. For someone who's looking for an entry to "that legendary 6x0 sound" is the S2 genuinely worth twice it's siblings?
Go for the HD 660s, the speed of the driver and the ability to basically run it off of any source is a win for me. The presentation is overall smooth with no hint of fatigue, yet it's got treble in just the right places to hear the details. The bass on the 660s is my favorite part though, it's quick and separates itself from the rest of the mix so easily that it made me enjoy basslines that usually blend in so much that it goes unnoticed (I wish my IEMs had bass like this... I'm thinking it's just the result of having fast drivers). Also, each song, the bass has a unique tone and texture to it whereas in my IEMs, the bass tones sound just about the same on every song. They're wild headphones and I'm so glad I bought them. I got mine for $330 USD.

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,665 of 6,800
Go for the HD 660s, the speed of the driver and the ability to basically run it off of any source is a win for me. The presentation is overall smooth with no hint of fatigue, yet it's got treble in just the right places to hear the details. The bass on the 660s is my favorite part though, it's quick and separates itself from the rest of the mix so easily that it made me enjoy basslines that usually blend in so much that it goes unnoticed (I wish my IEMs had bass like this... I'm thinking it's just the result of having fast drivers). Also, each song, the bass has a unique tone and texture to it whereas in my IEMs, the bass tones sound just about the same on every song. They're wild headphones and I'm so glad I bought them. I got mine for $330 USD.
I wouldn't be at all surprised that when the fuss dies down over the new 660S2 and the 660S disappears from shelves that there will be a realisation that it had properties unique to the 6 series and it will start to become more sought after. It's almost inevitable given that it's going to be discontinued. That's not to say anything against the 660S2 or to say that the 660S is better, just that when the 660S is gone it's properties will be more appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back