Sennheiser HD 650 Setup
May 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Groto

New Head-Fier
I have been a home theater enthusiast for several years and want to get a higher quality out of headphones. I have owned Audio Technica ATH-A500 for probably 6+ years now and they just don't sound all that good because I am used to my high end speakers.

After much research it seems like Sennheiser HD 650 phones are the ones to have. I listen at all types of music. My main question is whether the components I have will get me buy until I have more money for a high end amp etc.

I currently have

AV123 X-Head ampilifer

Creative X-FI Fatality (with that front I/O panel thing) (the older x-fi fatality from 2006)

M-Audio Audiophile USB

Will the X-head be able to get me by as an amp until I have money for something better? There was a review done by Skylab on head-fi saying that the x-head worked OK for the DT-880 phones, but I don't know about the HD 650.

My other question is which sound card is better? My X-Fi or the M-Audio? Which is better to use?

Thanks!

May 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 8
Why not sell all three and pick up a decent dac + amp combo? There are plenty of recommendations in these forums and there's no need to keep a collection of mediocre hardware when you can trade up to something decent.

May 18, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 8
It's a secret to all, but the HD600 is nearly identical to the HD650, and cheaper.  There is no need for an expensive DAC, and the amps you have will power the HD650 fine.

May 18, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 8
It's certainly a secret to me as I've owned both and found them far from "nearly identical". Also in this country (Oz), and I'm sure in many others, the 600 is hardly any cheaper and much harder to obtain.

May 18, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 8

Exactly. I've owned HD600 3 times, I have my 2nd 580 and still have my HD650, and there's no way they are nearly identical. Yes you can hear they're in 'the same family of headphones', but there are very noticable differences. Even HD580 (also with metal grills) are not identical to HD600 (although these two share more similarities then HD600 and HD650)

Quote:
It's certainly a secret to me as I've owned both and found them far from "nearly identical".

May 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Sonic memory is at maximum measured in seconds.  Me and a few others A-B'd the HD600 and HD650 at the same time.  The only differences we could detect was very slightly increased bass and reduced treble on the HD650.  It also appeared to have a slightly darker background.

May 18, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Wow you have the same headphones as me. I had the A500 for about 4 - 5 years now and just got the HD650 a few days ago.

I power them both through my RSA Hornet, which works fine.

A500 has a bigger soundstage, but almost no bass. I mainly use my A500s for gaming. As far as comfort goes, I have a big head so the A500 fits better, but hopefully the HD650s will loosen up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back