Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
May 12, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #16 of 737
Not really digging this one for multiple reasons...

Hopefully this wouldn't be Sennheiser's main release in 2015. I hope they bring a more interesting product on their 70th anniversary.

May 12, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #18 of 737

overall, this pair of headphones seems targeted at the consumer or basshead crowd rather than the people looking for a more 'audiophile-neutral' type headphone. will be interesting to see real live impressions and reviews on this product.

Here's what I don't get - this particular crowd is not really the crowd to spend $600 on a headphone. I thought they tried to capture that crowd with Momentum and Urbanite lines.

Such a baffling move from Sennheiser...

May 12, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 737
Here's what I don't get - this particular crowd is not really the crowd to spend $600 on a headphone. I thought they tried to capture that crowd with Momentum and Urbanite lines.

Hmm. It seems Denon tried that with its beat killers AH-D600 / AH-D7100 and Sony with its MDR-Z7. Not sure how successful those were.

Still, I love the idea of Sennheiser putting together a premium closed headphone and look forward to trying this.

May 12, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #21 of 737

Have you not seen the pricing on the top tiered Beats? 
tongue.gif

But yes, I do agree.

beerchug.gif

May 12, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #22 of 737

tongue.gif

The only one that is $600 is a limited edition wireless Studio version that most people don't have. The Studio Wireless is under $400 as are the Pro, which are also very rare to see in public or at all.

May 13, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #23 of 737

tongue.gif

But yes, I do agree.

beerchug.gif

Oh god - this comment made me check out the Beats store, that $599 pair...

but the Beats pro FR graph doesnt look that bad heh THD graphs could be better 

May 13, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #24 of 737

The only one that is $600 is a limited edition wireless Studio version that most people don't have. The Studio Wireless is under $400 as are the Pro, which are also very rare to see in public or at all.

True true. My bad for not writing more of my thought in my last post; If someone has already spent $400-$600 on Beats and are looking to upgrade to the same sound sig but better sound, I can see them dishing out $550 for the HD630VB.

beerchug.gif

May 13, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #25 of 737
  Here's what I don't get - this particular crowd is not really the crowd to spend $600 on a headphone. I thought they tried to capture that crowd with Momentum and Urbanite lines. Such a baffling move from Sennheiser...

I totally agree with this sentiment. for the general consumer crowd or the young adult market, the beats and bose headphones are the most desirable products. it is difficult to see that target audience spending an additional premium for this product. for the audiophile-crowd, it is hard to imagine 'audiophiles' spending a premium on this product rather than the classic hd600/hd650 within Sennheiser's own line-up. for the portable closed headphone market, the lack of a detachable cable, larger size, and hefty weight makes it a difficult recommendation.

I think that this type of headphones will primarily appeal to bassheads that require noise isolation and enjoy the additional bass reverb that is often present in closed headphones. The adjust bass switch is also a good feature for that specific target audience.

May 13, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #26 of 737

True true. My bad for not writing more of my thought in my last post; If someone has already spent $400-$600 on Beats and are looking to upgrade to the same sound sig but better sound, I can see them dishing out $550 for the HD630VB.

beerchug.gif

I see your point, but only one opinion has formed on the HD630 so far and while I respect Jude's opinion, it is only one. Also most people buy Beats for the fashion weight they carry and not the quality so Sennheiser doesn't really hold much weight there either. 

I think that this is going to be 100% a swing and a miss, audiophiles will reject it for the odd graphs, lack of removable cable (really Senn, that's REALLY weird of you for a headphone of this price, especially if you're competing with Beats) and high pricing. I don't see this hitting any market it's going for. Curiosity will get some people, but I won't be surprised to see these on the used forum for $400 or so a few months after US release.

May 13, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #27 of 737
  I think that this is going to be 100% a swing and a miss, audiophiles will reject it for the odd graphs, lack of removable cable (really Senn, that's REALLY weird of you for a headphone of this price, especially if you're competing with Beats) and high pricing. I don't see this hitting any market it's going for. Curiosity will get some people, but I won't be surprised to see these on the used forum for $400 or so a few months after US release.

You do have to wonder who these are aimed at, certainly.

Sennheiser have made incursions into the fashion-conscious millennial market before with the Urbanites but they weren't intended to compete with Beats directly, whereas the HD630VB appear to be doing just that. With aggressive marketing they might be able to take a nibble out of Beats market share but would it really be worth it in the long run?

IMO it makes more sense to assume that Sennheiser sees a growing market for more expensive full size basshead cans like the TH600 and Sony Z7, aimed at consumers who are more audio literate than the average Beats wearer but who still want an exaggerated bassy sound. However, and I realise than perhaps we shouldn't read too much into early FR graphs (and especially uncompensated ones, at that), there's no getting around the fact that the HD630VB may prove too v-shaped even for this demographic if these measurements are anything to go by. 

May 13, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #30 of 737
Not really digging this one for multiple reasons...

Hopefully this wouldn't be Sennheiser's main release in 2015. I hope they bring a more interesting product on their 70th anniversary.

This is the first Cheap Model from Sennheisers Closed back line,the REAL HIGH END CLOSED BACK HP(in the higher Price market)will come later this year

REGARDS NOMAX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back