Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #4,216 of 23,486
A Schiit Modi + Crack would be around $379 and perform much better. I realize that is more expensive, so it might not be attractive, but the Crack is an end-game amp for the HD600s, not just a step in a series of successive amps. If I had known earlier what I know now, I could have saved myself a lot of money by just buying the Crack in the first place. I would be inclined to save for another month or two and get the Crack, rather than the DacMagic+. I have the original DacMagic. As a DAC, it didn't strike me as better (or even different) from most other DACs. I don't mean that as a slight against the DacMagic, I just generally don't finds DACs to make nearly as big a difference in sound as the amp. YMMV.

Sep 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #4,217 of 23,486
I love the idea of getting the Crack but I have a couple of problems:

- I use the SRH840 quite often and the Crack wouldn't be a good match for it
- Not a lot of space in my desk to have it 

If I exclusively use the HD600 and have a larger work desk the Crack would have been an easy investment for me.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #4,218 of 23,486
Fair enough. Though for what it's worth:

1. Depending on whether you mount the Asgard horizontally or vertically, the Crack doesn't take up that much more real estate, and
2. I had the Shure SRH840s. They are great cans in particular because they leak less sound than just about any I have tried, and I have tried a lot with specifically that in mind. But they aren't terribly hard to drive and don't really scale all that much with amping. So you could go with the Crack for the HD600s and just use a DAP or whatever for the SRH840s.

But I understand where you're coming from if you decide not to go that route.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #4,219 of 23,486
Fair enough. Though for what it's worth:

1. Depending on whether you mount the Asgard horizontally or vertically, the Crack doesn't take up that much more real estate, and
2. I had the Shure SRH840s. They are great cans in particular because they leak less sound than just about any I have tried, and I have tried a lot with specifically that in mind. But they aren't terribly hard to drive and don't really scale all that much with amping. So you could go with the Crack for the HD600s and just use a DAP or whatever for the SRH840s.

But I understand where you're coming from if you decide not to go that route.

You sure are easy going about it Adam. I personally will be very offended if jjsoviet doesnt get a Crack...
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #4,222 of 23,486
A Schiit Modi + Crack would be around $379 and perform much better. I realize that is more expensive, so it might not be attractive, but the Crack is an end-game amp for the HD600s, not just a step in a series of successive amps. If I had known earlier what I know now, I could have saved myself a lot of money by just buying the Crack in the first place. I would be inclined to save for another month or two and get the Crack, rather than the DacMagic+. I have the original DacMagic. As a DAC, it didn't strike me as better (or even different) from most other DACs. I don't mean that as a slight against the DacMagic, I just generally don't finds DACs to make nearly as big a difference in sound as the amp. YMMV.

Oh I meant I will be buying the HD 600 not the dacmagic+ haha I was just wondering how well the dacmagic+ can drive the HD 600 since I want to buy those set of cans :p

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #4,223 of 23,486
The advice I provided earlier still applies: the HD600s will undoubtedly sound excellent out of the DacMagic+. But if you want to see what the HD600s are truly capable of, then you should consider buying a Crack in the future.

In particular, anyone who ever finds the HD600s lacking in bass should get a Crack before pursuing "better" headphones. In my experience, bass and speed are the two areas where driving the HD600s using an OTL amp vs. solid state or WOT tube amps is most noticeable. Bass from the HD600s takes on an entirely different quality when used with the Crack.

None of this should dissaude you from buying the HD600s for use with the DacMagic+. You will be very happy.

Sep 18, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #4,224 of 23,486
The advice I provided earlier still applies: the HD600s will undoubtedly sound excellent out of the DacMagic+. But if you want to see what the HD600s are truly capable of, then you should consider buying a Crack in the future.

In particular, anyone who ever finds the HD600s lacking in bass should get a Crack before pursuing "better" headphones. In my experience, bass and speed are the two areas where driving the HD600s using an OTL amp vs. solid state or WOT tube amps is most noticeable. Bass from the HD600s takes on an entirely different quality when used with the Crack.

None of this should dissaude you from buying the HD600s for use with the DacMagic+. You will be very happy.

I'm on a student budget unfortunately and the only reason I have the DacMagic+ is thanks to my dad :p it will be a while before I can afford the crack (I'd rather buy the HD 600s) but I'll be sure to take your advice and buy it when I can afford it :)

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #4,226 of 23,486
Ordered HD600 from Hong Kong shipped to my door step, $332 along with Aune T1 with upgraded tube $139. This is the cheapest I can get with warranty support for both item. Seller promised me Arrive within one week. A tad higher than massdr*p $323.74 shipped to my country. Why does one week felt so long...

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #4,227 of 23,486
One week? Try waiting until October before I can use my ibasso dx50 and HD 600 :p

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #4,228 of 23,486
One week? Try waiting until October before I can use my ibasso dx50 and HD 600 :p
Why October? And will the dx50 drive the HD600, mine just arrived and the hd600 is coming tomorrow.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #4,230 of 23,486
Why October? And will the dx50 drive the HD600, mine just arrived and the hd600 is coming tomorrow.

I'm a boarder so I only get back to hk in october where my dad has helpfully assisted me in buying my electronics :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back