Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #211 of 23,486

Quote:
Just curious..what are you trying to say? That any cable won't make a difference?

I'll say it. 

I was just as curious as you at one time.  I bought $125 worth of Jena Labs Cryo'd cable and made a really nice looking braided cable for my HD580's.  For the life of me I cannot hear a shred of difference.

I'll cut you a good deal on it
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #212 of 23,486
I bought some SCSCag and TWcu from Cryo-Parts, made the silver last night, nto sure if I like it, it sound  soo bright not sure if burn-in will help. it may suit the slightly darker sound HD650. IMO, it seem like Alo SXC has better ballance for now, I will post picture of the cable later, and may want to make another cable using TWcu or Canare to see if plain copper suit better.  

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #213 of 23,486
I have been using my HD600's extensively for the better part of two months with an iBasso D6. I got a chance to hear all sorts of combinations at the Bay Area meet. Headphones costing 10x more. Amps costing 10x more.

I can truly say that IMHO, There isn't an upgrade I can make that is justified by price. I feel that for my needs, I have met a sweet spot of price versus performance. I think that spending more on an amp or DAC would lead to some serious diminished returns.

Does this mean I will never buy anything? No. Just that at the moment, I feel no need to buy and tinker with tubes, or re-cable. None of the headphones I heard offered anything close to a truly large jump in performance versus their truly large jumps in price (With the exception of electrostats, not many others even offered "truly large" jumps in performance at all...) Sure, there are different sound signatures out there, but I like the neutrality and the kind of solid performance across the board of the HD600's.

So, I repeat; Not going to lie. I am content. (Is that a Head-Fi First?)

Apr 3, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #215 of 23,486
So, I repeat; Not going to lie. I am content. (Is that a Head-Fi First?)

Sacrilege! That's how people get banned from Head-Fi!

Kidding of course.

That's a great place to be at, so you can just enjoy some music. The 600's are definitely a great way to do that. I picked mine up used just "to see what they sounded like". I won't be getting rid of them. I had others before that I liked too, I've bought some since that I love, but I always enjoy the 600's when I give them a listen. They're keepers.

Apr 3, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #220 of 23,486
Just wondering, could anyone shed some light on using the HD600s with something smaller like the Total BitHead? I saw that Mdraluck23 uses them with the D6 and thats a similar product (a bit more expensive, however). My only worry is that there won't be enough "juice" to make them truly shine. 

Anything would be appreciated.

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #221 of 23,486
I own the Total Airhead which is nearly the same as the bithead but without the DAC. My older HD-600 and the Total Airhead were not a good match. I really regret even using a portable amp with my larger headphones and wish I had gotten a desktop amp sooner. I do love my Airhead though. The HD-600 sounds good out of the Airhead and drives it OK. The problem is that if you turn it up just a tad above normal listening volume it will start giving you the red blink or clipping signal. It's just an under-voltage thing. It had new batteries. For this to not go off you'll just need to keep the volume and a lower volume. I think the biggest problem is that the bass won't be as good as if it was desktop amped.

Strangely I had the HD-650 recently and the clipping red light took very high volume for it to go off. That was a bit strange. Of course the HD-650 is said to benefit more than the HD-600 with an expensive amp.
I think Headfonia or whatever said the newer HD-650 is supposed to be easier to drive, but I have no clue. I was surprised how well it sounded even unamped.

The HD-600 I previously used was the older version. I haven't tested my new white screened version on my Airhead head.

Quote:
Just wondering, could anyone shed some light on using the HD600s with something smaller like the Total BitHead? I saw that Mdraluck23 uses them with the D6 and thats a similar product (a bit more expensive, however). My only worry is that there won't be enough "juice" to make them truly shine. 

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #222 of 23,486
Thanks tdock, I didn't honestly expect it to be that good of a match. I am powering it through the USB DAC feature though, but I am not sure if that makes it better or worse. Do you have any suggestions of a good amp that I could use with it. Also I will need a DAC as well.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #223 of 23,486
Could anybody suggest an upgrade from the HD-600 that has a similar sound?

I really love the HD-600 but feel it could be the weak link in my Apogee Duet- Burson HA-160 set up. The HD-600 sound good, in fact they sound great, but the Burson is such a brilliant amplifier, i feel it could drive something a little more demanding. HD-800 maybe? Maybe it's the Apogee that is the problem. I was using a Cambridge DACmagic before.  i liked it at first but I found its brightness a little tiring after a while. The Apogee sounds flat in a direct comparison, but I suppose that's the brain at work. I have a Lavry DA11 too, but find that too dark with that set-up. I'm not worried about the DAC because I'll be getting the Burson HA-160D soon. 

Maybe I should just quell the feeling that i could be missing out on something, because it does sound incredibly good to me. 

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #224 of 23,486

Quote:

On the juice for the HD600, quantity matters less than quality unless you have a severe deficit we're talking about something that lacks both altogether (sounds like crap on a 5mW+5mW rms iPod, even a 31mW+31mW max Cowon, but it's good with the HM602 and I heard it's great with the S:Flo2). I've tried mine with all sorts of amps and they all sound different, but barring most portable players, they did well. My "reference" rig now is just the HD600 straight off my 20-year old Marantz CD60's headphone out, and the difference with a Little Dot MkII between them was far from night and day. I have the foam driver covers off though so that might have increased the sensitivity a bit (if it was measured from behind the veil and then without it.)

Quote:

I really love the HD-600 but feel it could be the weak link in my Apogee Duet- Burson HA-160 set up. The HD-600 sound good, in fact they sound great, but the Burson is such a brilliant amplifier, i feel it could drive something a little more demanding. HD-800 maybe? Maybe it's the Apogee that is the problem. I was using a Cambridge DACmagic before.  i liked it at first but I found its brightness a little tiring after a while. The Apogee sounds flat in a direct comparison, but I suppose that's the brain at work. I have a Lavry DA11 too, but find that too dark with that set-up. I'm not worried about the DAC because I'll be getting the Burson HA-160D soon. 

Maybe I should just quell the feeling that i could be missing out on something, because it does sound incredibly good to me. 

I'd hold out for anything new Sennheiser might roll out at this price range. HD800 might not be your thing based on how people kinda describe the sound to be, in some cases, more sterile than the K701/2. Some people actually prefer the AKGs. That said, maybe the Beyerdynamic T1 if you really are itching to upgrade?

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #225 of 23,486
Quote:

Based on my experience on Head-Fi, I suggest you go for Audeze LCD2. They should sound really good on Burson HA-160D. There is a thread here, about burson and T1 Tesla combo, and many people consider it one of the most ridiculously bad sounding investment, based on two separately taken premium quality products, so, I would consider planar magnetic headphones instead.

As an owner of HD600, I strongly support your decision of getting better headphones, specially on your High-Endish setup. HD600 are good headphones, but not perfect for sure, even in their price league. They sound nice on something, but I would consider DT880 600ohm better all around cans, for less money... Upgrading your HD600 headphones are a good idea indeed, especially if you can afford 1K$ setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back