Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #21,841 of 23,482
Thank y'all!! It's so tough for me to make big decisions. Analysis paralysis of the worst kind for certain...
Look at it positively. You can avoid mistakes due to haste. Deeper thinking and patience pay off.

Val 2 used + HD-600 used. Next spending: tube roll & new stock pads

Dec 10, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #21,842 of 23,482
Valhalla 2 is probably the lowest price amp that makes the 600 sing.
You might be able to get away with the new Xduoo TA-26 (with suitable NOS tubes). I haven’t heard it myself yet, though.

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #21,843 of 23,482
Yes, it’s true, the 600s sound great with tubes, but tubes are not the only way to make them sing. Mine are pretty well modified - all foam removed, copper weight kit added, full leather pads - and the sound is just great with a 10+ old Burson Soloist amp. After 40+ years in the hobby, I purposefully quit the tube game several years ago (big rig AND headphones), and went class A solid state. I’ve never been happier, and I did not need to get rid of my 600s. No, I don’t think you can get away with a rando $100 solid state amp on unmodified 600s, but spend a little time and thought on modifications and choose your amplification carefully*, and you don’t need a bottlehead amp to make extremely satisfying and beautiful music with the 600. IMHO, the only real problem with these Sennheiser headphones is that they’re made of plastic and don’t cost >$1,000. This week my 600s dispensed with yet another in a long string of highly touted, more expensive competitors. So far, Focal, multiple Hifiman, audeze LCD-2 and X (I really liked the X), quad, hd700, among others, have all come and gone. But the 600s (and 650s) stay. Next week I’m on the list to demo the Drop hd-8xx. I’m cautiously optimistic, although it sounds like they may need a tube amp even more than the 600. We shall see (hear). Part of the deal is I have to write a review, so I promise to share my honest thoughts - good, bad or otherwise.

* I’ve said it a million times, and not everyone agrees, but: In my opinion, with a transparent, basically neutral headphone like the 600, how you feed it is critical. I’d rather see you stretch and get a better amp now - it can save you a lot of money and grief in the long run. If you go with a cheap amp that isn’t stable into a dynamic, 300ohm nominal load, you are asking for thin, bright sound, lacking in foundation. That’s not the headphones- that’s the amp not being able to properly drive the headphones. I know it’s an old school ‘stereo system’ way of looking at it, but two channel stereo is my primary experience and carrying that garbage in-garbage out theory over to headphones has worked for me. And don’t misunderstand me - bagwell, Jonathan c, and BobG are all experienced audiophiles who, like many, many others, have found that there is much pleasure to be had with the 600s. The fact that we all have different ideas about how to go about doing that means only that there is more than one way to skin this particular cat. The key is to be open- minded and don’t expect plug and play - it’s going to take a little effort to get it right, but it’s worth it, so have fun with it.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #21,844 of 23,482
Yes, it’s true, the 600s sound great with tubes, but tubes are not the only way to make them sing. Mine are pretty well modified - all foam removed, copper weight kit added, full leather pads - and the sound is just great with a 10+ old Burson Soloist amp.
Did you actually AB OTL vs SS. My BHCs kills the Ragnarok 1, Bryston, and Violectric v281 on the 600. Not even close.
After 40+ years in the hobby, I purposefully quit the tube game several years ago (big rig AND headphones), and went class A solid state.
Very similar to me. In fact besides the years it's the same - until 2019 when I heard my 600 on the BHCs, then bought the kit and built it.
But the 600s (and 650s) stay.
I find the 650 thick and veiled vs 600 on SS. 650 is better on OTL, but it's not the 600.

* I’ve said it a million times, and not everyone agrees, but: In my opinion, with a transparent, basically neutral headphone like the 600, how you feed it is critical. I’d rather see you stretch and get a better amp now - it can save you a lot of money and grief in the long run. If you go with a cheap amp that isn’t stable into a dynamic, 300ohm nominal load, you are asking for thin, bright sound, lacking in foundation. That’s not the headphones- that’s the amp not being able to properly drive the headphones. I know it’s an old school ‘stereo system’ way of looking at it, but two channel stereo is my primary experience and carrying that garbage in-garbage out theory over to headphones has worked for me. And don’t misunderstand me - bagwell, Jonathan c, and BobG are all experienced audiophiles who, like many, many others, have found that there is much pleasure to be had with the 600s. The fact that we all have different ideas about how to go about doing that means only that there is more than one way to skin this particular cat. The key is to be open- minded and don’t expect plug and play - it’s going to take a little effort to get it right, but it’s worth it, so have fun with it.
Yes, patience. I've tried a lot of mods - some work, some don't. For instance stock the HE-500 and HE-6se v1 are not as tonally pure as the 600. After the mods and a bit of EQ both are far more satisfying than the stock 600. My 600 isn't stock (cable, changes to rear padding, cut bass resonance) and my OTL elevates it. I like it more than my HEX v2. But not more than my modded 500 or 6se. Very solid considering all the cans I've rejected.

Dec 13, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #21,845 of 23,482
Did you actually AB OTL vs SS. My BHCs kills the Ragnarok 1, Bryston, and Violectric v281 on the 600. Not even close.

Very similar to me. In fact besides the years it's the same - until 2019 when I heard my 600 on the BHCs, then bought the kit and built it.

I find the 650 thick and veiled vs 600 on SS. 650 is better on OTL, but it's not the 600.

Yes, patience. I've tried a lot of mods - some work, some don't. For instance stock the HE-500 and HE-6se v1 are not as tonally pure as the 600. After the mods and a bit of EQ both are far more satisfying than the stock 600. My 600 isn't stock (cable, changes to rear padding, cut bass resonance) and my OTL elevates it. I like it more than my HEX v2. But not more than my modded 500 or 6se. Very solid considering all the cans I've rejected.
Tube, yes; OTL, no. I will eventually.

100% correct that the 650 is thicker and more syrupy than the 600, but sometimes I like it dark and sexy…. The 650 primarily serves In my bedside system - a lovely, warm good night kiss; the modified 600 is my primary choice in the ‘main rig’.

I noticed Hifiman has some he-6se v1 in stock now at a decent price. Almost pulled the trigger just because I know you like them so much.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #21,846 of 23,482
Tube, yes; OTL, no. I will eventually.

100% correct that the 650 is thicker and more syrupy than the 600, but sometimes I like it dark and sexy…. The 650 primarily serves In my bedside system - a lovely, warm good night kiss; the modified 600 is my primary choice in the ‘main rig’.

I noticed Hifiman has some he-6se v1 in stock now at a decent price. Almost pulled the trigger just because I know you like them so much.
Better deal than v2 open box $550? I do like the driver of the v1. The pads and cable? Not so much..

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #21,847 of 23,482
Better deal than v2 open box $550? I do like the driver of the v1. The pads and cable? Not so much..
Idk. Off topic, but: The open box v2 I see on the Hifiman site are $609; where are they $550? I thought the v1 were the ones to get - not the v2 which i thought were an Adorama special? Never mind - I see that Aforama has them open box for $555. Still not sure that I’d prefer them to the V1. Looks to me like pads are the same. Cables probably too, but the driver would be my primary concern.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #21,848 of 23,482
Idk. Off topic, but: The open box v2 I see on the Hifiman site are $609; where are they $550? I thought the v1 were the ones to get - not the v2 which i thought were an Adorama special? Never mind - I see that Aforama has them open box for $555. Still not sure that I’d prefer them to the V1. Looks to me like pads are the same. Cables probably too, but the driver would be my primary concern.
Adorama. V2 have better soundstage. Got my v1 from Adorama. Pads and cables suck on both.

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #21,851 of 23,482
Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone been able to compare the new hd600 (2019-present) to its older counterpart? Is the tuning identical between the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back