Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #21,826 of 23,482
Thank you! Unfortunately the amp is far out of my price range. I was hoping for $100 or $150 at the most.
In that price range, with very good / excellent sound, I suggest Schiit Magni ($99) or Schiit Vali 2 ($149). The Vali 2 being a one-tube ‘hybrid’ (tube/SS) hpa would be a better sonic fit with the Sennheiser HD-600 ( + offers tube ‘rolling’ opportunities later).

Nov 20, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #21,827 of 23,482
In that price range, with very good / excellent sound, I suggest Schiit Magni ($99) or Schiit Vali 2 ($149). The Vali 2 being a one-tube ‘hybrid’ (tube/SS) hpa would be a better sonic fit with the Sennheiser HD-600 ( + offers tube ‘rolling’ opportunities later).
Thank you! I have always seen where tube amps are best for HD 600, but I believe it was members in the Audio Science Review forum, or maybe a Reddit sub, that enthusiastically told me to go with SS for the most neutral/uncolored sound. They seemed to be down on the use of tube amps. Maybe due to different sound interpretation philosophies? I know they're heavy on technicals and graphs there. It might have been because my price range is so low.

Nov 20, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #21,828 of 23,482
Thank you! I have always seen where tube amps are best for HD 600, but I believe it was members in the Audio Science Review forum, or maybe a Reddit sub, that enthusiastically told me to go with SS for the most neutral/uncolored sound. They seemed to be down on the use of tube amps. Maybe due to different sound interpretation philosophies? I know they're heavy on technicals and graphs there. It might have been because my price range is so low.
The Sennheiser HD-600 has a nominal input impedance of 300 ohms. Most SS hpa have an output impedance of 1 ohm or less. This leads to a high ‘damping factor’ (headphone impedance ➗ amplifier impedance) which can ‘throttle’ the sound making it lifeless, unexciting. Note that the ASR/Reddit focus on neutrality. They say nothing about dynamics, imaging, soundstage…all more important than frequency response to making reproduced music plausible, lifelike. The HD-600 thrives on tube amplifiers - especially OTL. This and your price range are why I suggest Vali 2.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #21,830 of 23,482
The Sennheiser HD-600 has an nominal input impedance of 300 ohms. Most SS hpa have output impedances of 1 ohm or less. This leads to a high ‘damping factor’ (headphone impedance ➗ amplifier impedance) which can ‘throttle’ the sound making it lifeless, unexciting. Note that the ASR/Reddit focus on neutrality. They say nothing about dynamics, imaging, soundstage…all more important than frequency response to making reproduced music plausible, lifelike. The HD-600 thrives on tube amplifiers - especially OTL. This and your price range are why I suggest Vali 2.
Awesome, thank you for the explanation. Tough decisions!!

Dec 4, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #21,831 of 23,482
I think I`m in the minority here, but I really didn`t like the HD650 (HD6XX) at all. I tried for several months with SS and tube amps, but found it veiled and and such. A while after I sold the HD6XX I bought the HD600 on a whim, that one I really liked and will probably never get rid of.
Same here. I wanted to love the HD650. I tried for years, but they just didn't do it for me. I went to the HD800 and I like them. But a year ago I caught a sale on the HD600. I liked them instantly. Today, I use them with the Topping A90 amp, fed by the Denafrips Ares II. To my ears this is exquisite! I set my Oppo HA1 up in the family room by the fireplace, and my wife uses it with the HD800s. I still have the 650s, but I prefer the HD600s to the other two (HD650 & HD800).
9579BFD4-5E91-4793-8822-0307CFFA74A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #21,832 of 23,482
Most of the advice everyone gives is based experience. I first heard the 600 around 2005 on a Denon rec, later low end DACs, finally three very good SS headphone amps: Violectric, Bryston, and Schiit Ragnarok. I liked it more on the good amps, but the can always sounded about the same. Then a fellow poster lent me the Bottlehead Crack for my 600. Qualitatively different and better. More low bass, less tense in the highs, a real soundtage, lush and musical.

My last tubed equipment was a hybrid ARC pre-amp I sold in 1999. I've owned dozens and dozens of transistor amps over the years. I'm a transistor guy (Pass >> all).

I bought a BHCs kit and over built it, and it's remarkable. No interest in plugging my 600 into a SS amp ever again, unless a guest wants to compare form themselves.

Read the main thread many entries similar to mine.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #21,833 of 23,482
Most of the advice everyone gives is based experience. I first heard the 600 around 2005 on a Denon rec, later low end DACs, finally three very good SS headphone amps: Violectric, Bryston, and Schiit Ragnarok. I liked it more on the good amps, but the can always sounded about the same. Then a fellow poster lent me the Bottlehead Crack for my 600. Qualitatively different and better. More low bass, less tense in the highs, a real soundtage, lush and musical.

My last tubed equipment was a hybrid ARC pre-amp I sold in 1999. I've owned dozens and dozens of transistor amps over the years. I'm a transistor guy (Pass >> all).

I bought a BHCs kit and over built it, and it's remarkable. No interest in plugging my 600 into a SS amp ever again, unless a guest wants to compare form themselves.

Read the main thread many entries similar to mine.
Thank you. Because of my lower budget, I think the almost necessity for a Bottlehead Crack is going to keep me from buying the headphone. I am not so interested in hearing such a great headphone if it's not being driven to its potential.

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #21,834 of 23,482
Thank you. Because of my lower budget, I think the almost necessity for a Bottlehead Crack is going to keep me from buying the headphone. I am not so interested in hearing such a great headphone if it's not being driven to its potential.
Don’t give up yet! The Schiit Valhalla 2 (a tube OTL at $349) pairs really well with the Sennheiser HD-600. I get much enjoyment from this pairing (plus the added fun of tube ‘rolling’). And I suggested Schiit Vali 2 ($149) in an earlier post in this thread.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #21,835 of 23,482
You don't have to start off with the Crack to get the OTL sound (though if you do get a 600 I highly recommend getting a BHC somewhere down the line as budget permits). Something like the Little Dot Mk 2 or Schiit Valhalla for a little more will get you the OTL sound without quite as high price tag or commitment if you were to build the BHC yourself. In fact I find the Valhalla to be very competitive with the BHC especially running the right set of tubes. I still prefer the BHC with the 600 over the Valhalla, but by a very small margin. I actually prefer the Valhalla to the BHC when paired with the HD6XX/650.

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #21,836 of 23,482
Don’t give up yet! The Schiit Valhalla 2 (a tube OTL at $349) pairs really well with the Sennheiser HD-600. I get much enjoyment from this pairing (plus the added fun of tube ‘rolling’). And I suggested Schiit Vali 2 ($149) in an earlier post in this thread.
Agreed! You beat me to it!

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #21,837 of 23,482
Valhalla 2 is probably the lowest price amp that makes the 600 sing.

Dec 8, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #21,838 of 23,482
Tuning is a problem. I listened to 5 female singers and they were wrong. Too much testosterone. Put them down, and moved on. Not for me.

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #21,839 of 23,482
Tuning is a problem. I listened to 5 female singers and they were wrong. Too much testosterone. Put them down, and moved on. Not for me.
Female singers: audio’s toughest test. Pass this, the rest of the sound can follow…

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #21,840 of 23,482
Thank y'all!! It's so tough for me to make big decisions. Analysis paralysis of the worst kind for certain...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back