Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #21,781 of 23,482
^If you dig the 600 I’m almost positive you’ll like the Sundara. It is the planar that comes the closest to sounding like a planar take on the 600. The new LCD-5 is a slightly different experience as the low treble is lowered somewhat. Still sounds very nice.
Put another way: 4 of my longtime friends all count the 600 among their favourite headphones. They’ve never heard a planar magnetic they wanted to keep…until the new Sundara…and well now they all own a pair.
That's good to know, thanks. I should have asked to hear it the other day when i was at a Hifiman booth -I was too busy asking to hear their flagship models lol. In my collection I find that the Avantone Planar is a good alternative to the HD600, but there's still this timbre difference.

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #21,782 of 23,482
Hah! I’ve done the same a couple of times before…though granted this was before the Sundara had a pad update which significantly changed the sound. I did get to hear the Susvara and HE1000 at the time..but with no real reference point. I’ve later learned that I get far more out of any audition if I remember to bring along a headphone of my own. Can be a very sobering experience actually and often irritate the seller immensely.

The Avantone is laidback in both the uppermids and treble like 98% of all other planars on the market, although not nearly as severe as the old Audezes. I think that is what generally keeps planars from achieving the right timbre…except for the Sundara and LCD-5 of course:)

There will always be a big difference between the 600 and a properly made planar magnetic. The 600 comes with a small mid-high bass bump and planars don’t really do that unless you close off the cups a la DCA’s Aeon Flow “Open”. The small bass bump on the 600, coupled together with the distortion down low, makes for a very characteristic sound profile that planars can’t replicate (and properly shouldn’t). Then again..the totally flat bass of planars also gives us detail and extension beyond anything found in dynamic driver headphones.
Each design has it’s own merits and flaws. I love both. Today I’m in a 600 mood though✊

Nov 1, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #21,783 of 23,482
Hah! I’ve done the same a couple of times before…though granted this was before the Sundara had a pad update which significantly changed the sound. I did get to hear the Susvara and HE1000 at the time..but with no real reference point. I’ve later learned that I get far more out of any audition if I remember to bring along a headphone of my own. Can be a very sobering experience actually and often irritate the seller immensely.

The Avantone is laidback in both the uppermids and treble like 98% of all other planars on the market, although not nearly as severe as the old Audezes. I think that is what generally keeps planars from achieving the right timbre…except for the Sundara and LCD-5 of course:)

There will always be a big difference between the 600 and a properly made planar magnetic. The 600 comes with a small mid-high bass bump and planars don’t really do that unless you close off the cups a la DCA’s Aeon Flow “Open”. The small bass bump on the 600, coupled together with the distortion down low, makes for a very characteristic sound profile that planars can’t replicate (and properly shouldn’t). Then again..the totally flat bass of planars also gives us detail and extension beyond anything found in dynamic driver headphones.
Each design has it’s own merits and flaws. I love both. Today I’m in a 600 mood though✊
I did bring my HD600 the other day but didn't have the balls to pull it out when auditioning the Susvara and the LCD-5 -I should have just to see their faces lol. But being used to hear the HD600 on a daily basis, it was pretty easy to notice which headphone got the right tuning.

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #21,784 of 23,482

I’ve owned the HD600 since 2003 and I’ve never heard any low distortion or any other distortion whatsoever from them.

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #21,785 of 23,482
^If you dig the 600 I’m almost positive you’ll like the Sundara. It is the planar that comes the closest to sounding like a planar take on the 600. The new LCD-5 is a slightly different experience as the low treble is lowered somewhat. Still sounds very nice.
Put another way: 4 of my longtime friends all count the 600 among their favourite headphones. They’ve never heard a planar magnetic they wanted to keep…until the new Sundara…and well now they all own a pair.
Personally, I thought the Sundara was boring. Good for $350, or, perhaps, if you want to run it off a lesser amp, but a distinct downgrade from a properly amplified HD600. Ananda was an even bigger disappointment - no bass traction at all. YMMV.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #21,786 of 23,482
I'm also bothered by some reviewers that say the 800S is fantastic for classical...it simply doesn't have enough bass!!! (in my opinion)
Has lots more on an OTL amp. Also EQ helps, but the sub 30 Hz stuff not so much. The music is in the mids.

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #21,787 of 23,482
Personally, I thought the Sundara was boring. Good for $350, or, perhaps, if you want to run it off a lesser amp, but a distinct downgrade from a properly amplified HD600. Ananda was an even bigger disappointment - no bass traction at all. YMMV.
Sundara is that, a cleaner 4XX, but no match for the 500, or an EQ'd 560. I've been waging a lonely battle on the Ananda front. Probably one of the best deals at the price, still beset with serious issues - the bass impact, lacks body, a bit zingy at 6-7 kHz, and amazingly able to reproduce a fundamental, but so threadbare with harmonics.

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #21,788 of 23,482
So far all of the opinions I've had and all of the more objective and not "lush body, rich woof-woof" comments I've seen alligned almost 1:1 with Crinacle's reviews. And he puts Sundara rated as B+ while HD 600 is A- (S- tonality and B+ technical).. which is insane for this price point as nothing else on his ranking (except ATH-R70X) comes close.

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #21,789 of 23,482
The original Orpheus:)
..and I’m not even kidding.
Personally I don’t feel that any ZMF option offers an upgrade - quite the opposite. What you gain with the better bass over ZMFs you lose tenfold in the mids and treble. Add to that there are no openback ZMFs on the market. They all sound about as open as Denon’s old D2000/D5000/D7000…and to me that is a distinct step down from any Sennheiser that I own.
Admittedly, I find these wooden headphones to be among the most beautiful on the market, and there is something very heartwarming about a handmade headphone…but I am not buying a set to look at.
If you want something that could be considered an upgrade that retains the openness and tuning, then spring for a Sundara, Elex/Clear or an R70x. The original Orpheus is next to impossible to find anywhere..and people are wise enough never to let it go.
I really have never opened up about the ZMF line here since they are sort enjoying the golden glow phase. I do find the bass overblown and suffering from the typical closed back crap in the mids and highs. Glad to see someone else basically agrees - including about the beauty of the wood and the emotional response many have for it.

I'd add the HE-6v2 at adorama for $599 into your list - more transparent with better technicals than the Sundara.

Nov 2, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #21,790 of 23,482

I must assume you are talking about the HD-600 on SS gear. The HD-600 is part of that small group of audio components that doesn't add much or anything but errs on the side of missing some things.

Yes the bass under 80 Hz isn't there, but its not like the driver is going crazy with heavy stuff at 30 Hz. It can be EQ'd to deliver reasonable non doubling bass into the 30's. Under the high 30's is less than an octave, only fans of ultra bass and industrial music will be unhappy with that.

Mid/upper bass rise? Compared to what? The HD-650 sins in that regard in a very notable way. I actually dislike the 650 for that one trait alone - warm and chubby. The 600 is not even in the same league on that point.

IMO there is some roughness, lets call it grain in the treble (in discrete spots, not overall) - with SS amps something can be there, but it can be pushed to obscurity with EQ and a very nice analog type DAC.

That's it.

Doesn't occur with the OTL.

I never listen to my 600 on SS anymore, all OTL, it makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #21,791 of 23,482
I must assume you are talking about the HD-600 on SS gear. The HD-600 is part of that small group of audio components that doesn't add much or anything but errs on the side of missing some things.

Yes the bass under 80 Hz isn't there, but its not like the driver is going crazy with heavy stuff at 30 Hz. It can be EQ'd to deliver reasonable non doubling bass into the 30's. Under the high 30's is less than an octave, only fans of ultra bass and industrial music will be unhappy with that.

Mid/upper bass rise? Compared to what? The HD-650 sins in that regard in a very notable way. I actually dislike the 650 for that one trait alone - warm and chubby. The 600 is not even in the same league on that point.

IMO there is some roughness, lets call it grain in the treble (in discrete spots, not overall) - with SS amps something can be there, but it can be pushed to obscurity with EQ and a very nice analog type DAC.

That's it.

Doesn't occur with the OTL.

I never listen to my 600 on SS anymore, all OTL, it makes a huge difference.
So does EQ. I use an SS amp and there is no grain in the treble. I can’t point out any argument “tech wise” because I don’t understand audio measurements/ charts. I’ve owned the HD600 since 2003 and I can’t recall hearing any grain in the treble or otherwise, neither in spots or otherwise.

Nov 3, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #21,792 of 23,482
We're pretty close on the 600, but yes I've heard spots of dryness and grain in the treble on SS amps - my Rag 1 and a Bryston with the 600. Not a matter of measurements, but when I'm evaluating or find something askance I go for very well recorded music of artists I've seen live and boring as it sounds repeat the recordings quite a number of times until I hit a conclusion or sometimes hang it up. In this case it was clear. YMDV

Nov 4, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #21,793 of 23,482
We're pretty close on the 600, but yes I've heard spots of dryness and grain in the treble on SS amps - my Rag 1 and a Bryston with the 600. Not a matter of measurements, but when I'm evaluating or find something askance I go for very well recorded music of artists I've seen live and boring as it sounds repeat the recordings quite a number of times until I hit a conclusion or sometimes hang it up. In this case it was clear. YMDV
Well I never have & I listen to well produced music also.

Nov 9, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #21,794 of 23,482
Thinking about the HD 600 for Christmas as first serious cans - tried Hifiman HE400i and wasn't impressed, likely defective pair though.
Can I get some entry level amp and DAC recommendations for HD 600?
On the radar is Topping L30/D10s
Possibly JDS Labs Atom

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #21,795 of 23,482
Thinking about the HD 600 for Christmas as first serious cans - tried Hifiman HE400i and wasn't impressed, likely defective pair though.
Can I get some entry level amp and DAC recommendations for HD 600?
On the radar is Topping L30/D10s
Possibly JDS Labs Atom
I've used the HD-600's with a Topping D50s DAC and the Drop THX 789 amp. Plenty of power, lots of detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back