Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #20,087 of 23,486
After a very long hiatus I'm thinking about getting back into the game. Of all the headphones I've had in the past I miss the HD600's the most, and they would be my 1st choice.

And rightly so. You cannot go wrong with the HD-600. I enjoy it despite owning much more expensive headphones. I just reach for it 1/3 of the time or so...

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #20,088 of 23,486
And rightly so. You cannot go wrong with the HD-600. I enjoy it despite owning much more expensive headphones. I just reach for it 1/3 of the time or so...
Yeah, I mean the HD600 is a no-brainer. The difficult thing will be choosing an amp because there are so many more available these days compared to when I started out. I'm really glad Head-Fi is still around, because I'll be doing a lot of research on here in the coming days.

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #20,092 of 23,486
if I recall well it didn't really sound *the same* in my setup ; I 've been running hd600 balanced since but I should have both the original and the hd650 factory cables available for a test, I will do a fast retest later or tomorrow to confirm a difference ( or else )

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #20,093 of 23,486
Has anyone ever tried the thicker cable from the 650's on their 600's? Does it sound any different?

No, generally speaking a cable is a cable

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #20,096 of 23,486
Just managed to score a HD600 in mint condition for a very good price (160€), I'be been listening to them for a few minutes directly out of the Chromecast audio dongle (which doesn't work too bad according to a fellow headfier https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chr...-on-sound-quality.782899/page-2#post-12011501) and I couldn't be happier of my choice already :)
The tonal balance is absolutely perfect, the sound is not razor sharp (being used to electrostats and planars) bit it's still pretty fast for a dynamic headphone and the midrange is so liquid! Why is this not a mandatory purchase for beginner audiophiles? I can't believe it took me 12 years to put my hand on it...

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #20,097 of 23,486
I can't believe it too if you'd tell me :xf_eek:

good choice ( they lasted on me and on many of us more then 12 years so )
as you stated I agree it is the sweet spot "entry" mandatory headphones for beginner audiophile
entry but very scalable in order to afford running near the top's

on another note I wouldnt say hd600 midrange is liquid on his own

Jan 11, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #20,098 of 23,486
or also , if you want the extra kick in the bass , or base resolution , or the ultimate speed and fun , as you alredy said even scaling gears hd600 will ultimately fall short and you'll be force to upgrade headphone

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #20,099 of 23,486
or also , if you want the extra kick in the bass , or base resolution , or the ultimate speed and fun , as you alredy said even scaling gears hd600 will ultimately fall short and you'll be force to upgrade headphone
I wasn't sure exactly what to expect in the bass department, I was a bit concerned it might be too polite/slightly bright headphone, but honestly I'm pleasantly surprised on this side. I could totally live with this amount of bass. The resolution is theorically more problematic as I think planars/estats will always have the edge but a headphone always needs to make compromises, and if you factor in the great comfort and the low weight of the HD600 I think it becomes a highly competitive headphone for someone who needs good sound but also portability.

Jan 11, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #20,100 of 23,486
indid . You can scale them later too, to run them balanced and source them with a tight bass , as i did . there's some compromise ( they are not ultimate by any mean in some sectors ) but they are higly competitive all rounder with very minor flaws in their segment/price , soundstage construction is nearly worth alone the price if you add a very good tonal balance for lot of instruments , competition becomes narrower even at higher prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back