Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #18,752 of 23,486
I would say Schiit Magni 3 or Vali 2 and Modi dac would be good choice. I don´t own them but heard lots of good response here.
You can buy those in europe https://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/
I can recommend them cause i buy my Mjolnir 2 there and all went fine.
I second these recommendations. I use my HD 600 with Vali 2 and MJ2. Magni 3 would for sure provide what HD 600 needs for $99.

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #18,753 of 23,486
So now this is my question. If I got an HD600, what amp should I get for it?
I'm not willing to spend too much, so I'm looking for something that's preferably below 200 Euro

As I mentioned a few posts above, I use a Magni 3 I recently got directly from Schiit. I said a few words about buying Schiit gear in Europe here if you're interested. Long story short, you may want to try to buy from the US (of course, depending on where you live: some countries' custom offices are more prone to check every single shipping they get their hands on).

Having said that, I cannot really make comparisons, as I only listened the HD600 coupled with the Magni, but as you can read I surely find it to be a pretty sweet combo :beerchug:

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #18,754 of 23,486
Oh yeah, I sure am very lucky :smiley:

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up haha
Luckily, as a European, my uni was incredible good value for money (tuition fees are heavily lowered by public and private donors) and I don't have any debts to pay, so...extra money for new audio gear, I guess :)

ummmm... YES.
but if you know what's good for you, you won't forget the Grrlfriend!

:wink:

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #18,755 of 23,486
ummmm... YES.
but if you know what's good for you, you won't forget the Grrlfriend!

:wink:

Well, now that you point that out...let's call it a 50/50 girlfriend/audio budget, shall we? :grin:

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #18,756 of 23,486
As I mentioned a few posts above, I use a Magni 3 I recently got directly from Schiit. I said a few words about buying Schiit gear in Europe here if you're interested. Long story short, you may want to try to buy from the US (of course, depending on where you live: some countries' custom offices are more prone to check every single shipping they get their hands on).

Having said that, I cannot really make comparisons, as I only listened the HD600 coupled with the Magni, but as you can read I surely find it to be a pretty sweet combo :beerchug:

Yeah, I was thinking about the Magni 3, but I've briefly browsed the Head-Fi thread for that amp and I think I read a few complaints about some technical issues VS the Magni 2.
Also, somebody mentioned that the Magni 3 isn't ideal for IEMs, which I also use with an amp sometimes.
Can you confirm this?

The price of the Magni in Europe seems acceptable to me, even if I can't check shipping costs to Italy at the moment because the Magni 3 is currently out of stock on Schiit's European website. Ordering from the US would almost certainly get the package checked by customs and raise the total price beyond the original Euro price, and if I wanted to return the amp to the US it would cost me a leg and an arm. I'm not going to import stuff from outside the EU if I'm not dead sure I'm going to keep it.

You guys don't think something like the Fiio K5 would be good for the HD600? I've read some impressions, seems like a good match for the ATH-AD2000 I have, but reviewers aren't sure about something like the HD600.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #18,757 of 23,486
@egokun, the Magni3 is a great amp for the price but I prefer a tube amp (OTL or hybrid) with the HD600/650/700/800, and is not because a tube amp is warmer but they seem to control the driver better so the sound is cleaner and more detailed to me.

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #18,760 of 23,486
Yeah, I was thinking about the Magni 3, but I've briefly browsed the Head-Fi thread for that amp and I think I read a few complaints about some technical issues VS the Magni 2.
Also, somebody mentioned that the Magni 3 isn't ideal for IEMs, which I also use with an amp sometimes.
Can you confirm this?

I followed the thread quite a bit before buying the amp and, frankly, can't remember many Head-Fiers complaining about it vs the M2U (quite the opposite, as a matter of fact). On the the IEMs side, I don't have any experience yet, as I use my SE215s on-the-go only and, moreover, I already find my laptop's output to be extremely loud even at low volumes with such sensitive gear (disclaimer: I usually listen to headphones, in general, at what most people would define a low volume level. Just been used to it, plus I mostly use headphones when the room is quite anyway, so...). The amp's output impedance makes it a good partner with a lot of headphones, at least on paper, but I don't have first-hand experience to tell you about, sorry. I guess you might have more fortune on the M3's thread for someone else's opinion on that.

The price of the Magni in Europe seems acceptable to me, even if I can't check shipping costs to Italy at the moment because the Magni 3 is currently out of stock on Schiit's European website. Ordering from the US would almost certainly get the package checked by customs and raise the total price beyond the original Euro price, and if I wanted to return the amp to the US it would cost me a leg and an arm. I'm not going to import stuff from outside the EU if I'm not dead sure I'm going to keep it.

Ah, a fellow Italian :beerchug:
Then no, I don't trust our country's custom offices enough for shippings contatining electrical /electronical devices...too many bad experiences. In this case, if you decide to eventually go for the Magni 3, I'd have a look here (out of stock as well as for now...see why I ended up getting it from the US? :ksc75smile:). Before ordering mine I had a look at every EU shop and that was the cheapest one (I live in The Netherlands, but I guess that doesn't make a huge difference). I haven't personally bought anything from them, but it's probably going to be the place I'll get a Modi Multibit from, when I'll decide to pull the trigger on that.
Schiit's EU website has the bad inconvenient of being UK Pound-based and EUR/GBP is just too adverse for Euro importers to make it a nice shop to buy from, if you ask me.

Just to steer this post back from this big, fat OT :ksc75smile: I reiterate that the Magni 3 could well be a nice, cheap choice. But again, my experience is limited: in fact I just speak about what I have been listening to in the last days and weeks. I surely like it!

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #18,762 of 23,486
It's all schiit on ear as usual innit. :wink:

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #18,763 of 23,486
Men, I found $20 Walnut V2 can drive HD600 very well!!

By Jove, I think you're right! I couldn't test it with my HD 600 since that's at home, but I just plugged in my HD 650 to my Walnut V2 and wow, did it sound great!

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #18,764 of 23,486
Hello! I recently bought Monk Plus, and I already have HD 600s. To my surprise (and to my sadness), the Monk Plus sounds very similar to HD 600s and feel slightly more engaging. This makes me feel quite sad. I can notice that HD 600s are cleaner, but for $5 vs $286, I expected more. I must mention that I am running the HD 600s straight from my Macbook Pro. I had a Magni 3 before, but I didn't like the sound. Anything else I can try to make peace with my HD 600s, make the sound more engaging?

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #18,765 of 23,486
Hello! I recently bought Monk Plus, and I already have HD 600s. To my surprise (and to my sadness), the Monk Plus sounds very similar to HD 600s and feel slightly more engaging. This makes me feel quite sad. I can notice that HD 600s are cleaner, but for $5 vs $286, I expected more. I must mention that I am running the HD 600s straight from my Macbook Pro. I had a Magni 3 before, but I didn't like the sound. Anything else I can try to make peace with my HD 600s, make the sound more engaging?

Momk+ pk 600?! No way. Monk is very middle focus. It's great for vocal, that's all. If you do not want to get a decent DAC, try Walnut V2. $20 can drive HD600 very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back