Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #16,682 of 23,486
  So I have a last question, the bass in the HD 555 was pretty much ZERO. It was a headphone never known bass just like the HD 598 well the 598 is even worse The only way to get a little bit of bass was to move the 30 hz EQ very far up +20 something head fi members say never go do.

Taking this into consideration how would you all rank the bass of the HD 600?

Frankly, bass is not HD600 strong point. It is a very tasteful bass, great for jazz and classical, but if you like to have sub-bass (30 Hz is a whale talk frequency, I think)... I do not think you are going to have a lot of it. For me, this is is one area where T1 trumps HD600 most noticeably - T1 has good and rich deep bass when I play good vinyl records, HD600 does not. It is said for a reason that HD600 are a king of a midrange.

If you like a lot of bass, HD650 or HD6xx may be better for you. At least they compensate with plenty mid-and-upper-bass. And some say that they do reach deeper into low bass, can't confirm since I sold my pair when I understood that no matter how much I like their sound, their sound signature will always sound unnatural to me.

Or you may want to replace that headphone cable on HD600 with spare part for HD650 ($20-$30) as already mentioned here. That brings some extra bass. Again, some people claim that they hear no difference in that swap (no clue how that is even possible), so YMMV.

BTW - when you crank up lows on your EQ to the max, do not forget to lower overall level a bit, otherwise you risk overdriving digital domain in peaks (and since most modern recording are brickwalled, they are at least 50% peaks) and causing all kinds of unpleasant distortions. Been there, done that.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #16,683 of 23,486

Thanks you are right the marble actually does look beautiful

I swear that super duper open back design where everything is exposed by the naked eye makes the 600 look so awesome.

Always loved its style. The HD600 and HD650 are what I think of generically when people ask "what does a headphone look like?" The marbling is a love/hate among users I think. I like it, seems like it gives a touch of class to me.

So I have a last question, the bass in the HD 555 was pretty much ZERO. It was a headphone never known bass just like the HD 598 well the 598 is even worse The only way to get a little bit of bass was to move the 30 hz EQ very far up +20 something head fi members say never go do.

How much bass do you want? I think it has more bass than my HD558. You're gonna miss some subbass without EQ though, which many people here have reported to have successfully done. On cheaper stuff, if you EQ up bass levels, you end up with more bass, but it's usually really bloated and all sorts of distorted. Haven't seen any problems thus far in a similar scenario using the HD600. I like it as is though since when I want more bass in my music, I'm going for a bit of a different feel altogether and that's where the TH-X00 comes in.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #16,684 of 23,486
  Always loved its style. The HD600 and HD650 are what I think of generically when people ask "what does a headphone look like?" The marbling is a love/hate among users I think. I like it, seems like it gives a touch of class to me.

How much bass do you want? I think it has more bass than my HD558. You're gonna miss some subbass without EQ though, which many people here have reported to have successfully done. On cheaper stuff, if you EQ up bass levels, you end up with more bass, but it's usually really bloated and all sorts of distorted. Haven't seen any problems thus far in a similar scenario using the HD600. I like it as is though since when I want more bass in my music, I'm going for a bit of a different feel altogether and that's where the TH-X00 comes in.

Yeah I will admit I am not any bass freak or anything like that. But the HD 555 and HD 598 have like 0 sub bass. which means its only good for playing instruments or vocals.

NOW on the HD 555 if I move the 30hz EQ up by +12 DB I notice there is very very little distortion. And I do get some sub bass its a great sacrifice.

I have come to accept that sub bass are a problem for open back headphones because of its very nature. To get that awesome open airy sound. I understand

When I had my Phillips 9500 I only needed to up the EQ by +10 for 30hz and it gave me great sub bass it was certainly one of the greater open backs.

I am just going to assume the Beyerdynamic open back are the bassiest open backs in the world?

I understand now why Loud Speakers are superior to headphones. You can literally have the best mid range monitors made of carbon fiber and best silkdome tweeter and just simply add a 25 hz Subwoofer. And then everything can be controlled separate so nothing will be sacrificed.

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #16,685 of 23,486
Yes but between the both senns wich would you recommend for those genres? Imagine you have no other option...
tongue.gif

But more midbass doesnt mean more punch and more fun?

How much midbass? Subtle or noticeable?

I would take the HD-650 for those genres due to the better mid bass punch, as you noted, more fun.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #16,686 of 23,486

If you want that much bass then wouldn't it make more sense to get a headphone that will give you the bass without having to resort to so much EQ use?  The HD-600 is not a bass heavy headphones and I don't know how it will perform with +20db @30hz, a lot of distortion?  And since you also mention that you liked the Momentum another headphone that has similar qualities is the Fidelio L1/L2, warm with a good amount of bass and very easy to drive.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #16,687 of 23,486
  If you want that much bass then wouldn't it make more sense to get a headphone that will give you the bass without having to resort to so much EQ use?  The HD-600 is not a bass heavy headphones and I don't know how it will perform with +20db @30hz, a lot of distortion?  And since you also mention that you liked the Momentum another headphone that has similar qualities is the Fidelio L1/L2, warm with a good amount of bass and very easy to drive.

Difference between the momentum and urban xl?

Urbanite XL is far better for tropical humid climate I live in because its fabric pads

But nothing compares to an open back.

I won't risk losing the airiness of an open back I never liked closed and I am sure I won't start liking them now.

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #16,689 of 23,486
  Difference between the momentum and urban xl?

Urbanite XL is far better for tropical humid climate I live in because its fabric pads

But nothing compares to an open back.

I won't risk losing the airiness of an open back I never liked closed and I am sure I won't start liking them now.

The momentum on-ear are alcantara fabric so they are quite cool, and I live in Hawaii right next to the ocean so its quite humid, I usually use the AC most of the time.  I've only heard the urbanite XL in a store twice and didn't care for the sound signature but since is was in the store hard to say, they were priced higher than the Momentums and were not as comfortable to me.  My GF likes the Momentum better than the HD-700 and HD-650 for listening to pop, Kpop, Jpop, R&B, EDM, and alternate, the bass is there, no sibilance, and easy to drive from her phone or Fiio X3ii.

As for open vs closed, it really depends on the genre of music for me, if listening to classical, blues, or jazz then I would definitely go open, but for pop, r&b, EDM, and alternate I wouldn't hesitate to use a closed back since sound stage / air is not an important consideration for these genres of music to me.  I would rather use a planar for those genres where you want the speed, bass extension, instrument separation and details.  I've heard some good closed back headphones that have the airiness that the HD-600 has but they are also far more costly, Alpha Prime, Ether C, LCD-XC and EL8 closed -Dec 2016 revision.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #16,691 of 23,486
just a question

I like the new sennheiser hd 6xx but currently I''ve got my eyes on the dt 990's for a long time now
I moslty listen to EDM,Rock, Chill, and acoustic what headphone would you suggest?

Either will work for me but I like the bass on the DT-990 a little better for rock and EDM, only issue with the DT-990 is its sibilant to some/many while I like the HD-600 better for acoustic, actually a Grado RS series would be my choice for acoustic.  The HD-600 has a peak around 4-5khz which bothered me but the slightly higher peaks of the DT-990 don't.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #16,692 of 23,486
Either will work for me but I like the bass on the DT-990 a little better for rock and EDM, only issue with the DT-990 is its sibilant to some/many while I like the HD-600 better for acoustic, actually a Grado RS series would be my choice for acoustic.  The HD-600 has a peak around 4-5khz which bothered me but the slightly higher peaks of the DT-990 don't.

I am having some issues with my hd600s.....

First i thought they would br more airy an d euphonic and i am not finding them like that at all. The hd598 was not my cup of tea (very light sounding) buy it seemed much more musical.

Second, after 10 minutes of hearing music with them i start to feel like a buzzing noise in my ears wich is super annoying and makes them not enjoyable at all. Its really weird because i have never had any problem like this with any other headphones. Even my dt770 80/is a little treble happy for my ears and i would like them to sound a bit more weighty and full but still i get no buzzing or stuff like that.... Not even with my hd25s.... Am i too sensitive to something on the hd600s? Response?

Third, i font know if its because it is a hifi set of can or sonethibg like that but the sound presentation is weird too me.... Usually all my headphones present sounds from all around but thr bass punch stays firmly centered (wich for me is how it should be). With the hd600s i get a presentation that is often very distinct.... Sometimes the punch is more on the right side, other on the left, other on the center, others slightly pending more to one side than the other.... This gets super distracting and annoying because each time i skip a track i am already more worried about were the sounds are coming from than actually enjoying thr musics? Is the presentation supposed to be like this on a higher fidelity headphones? Its like very rarely everything is centered......

Is it me? Is it something wrong with them? One thing is for sure, this is the most weird and hard to get used to headphones i have ever had.... True thatt i only had\tried hd5*8s as open backs before and the rest of my inventory is/was all closed but still i have never been presented with such presentation on any other headphones..... I can never know what to expect on the nrxt track, specially with the bass punch.....

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #16,693 of 23,486
I am having some issues with my hd600s.....

First i thought they would br more airy an d euphonic and i am not finding them like that at all. The hd598 was not my cup of tea (very light sounding) buy it seemed much more musical.

Second, after 10 minutes of hearing music with them i start to feel like a buzzing noise in my ears wich is super annoying and makes them not enjoyable at all. Its really weird because i have never had any problem like this with any other headphones. Even my dt770 80/is a little treble happy for my ears and i would like them to sound a bit more weighty and full but still i get no buzzing or stuff like that.... Not even with my hd25s.... Am i too sensitive to something on the hd600s? Response?

Third, i font know if its because it is a hifi set of can or sonethibg like that but the sound presentation is weird too me.... Usually all my headphones present sounds from all around but thr bass punch stays firmly centered (wich for me is how it should be). With the hd600s i get a presentation that is often very distinct.... Sometimes the punch is more on the right side, other on the left, other on the center, others slightly pending more to one side than the other.... This gets super distracting and annoying because each time i skip a track i am already more worried about were the sounds are coming from than actually enjoying thr musics? Is the presentation supposed to be like this on a higher fidelity headphones? Its like very rarely everything is centered......

Is it me? Is it something wrong with them? One thing is for sure, this is the most weird and hard to get used to headphones i have ever had.... True thatt i only had\tried hd5*8s as open backs before and the rest of my inventory is/was all closed but still i have never been presented with such presentation on any other headphones..... I can never know what to expect on the nrxt track, specially with the bass punch.....

You could be like me where the 4-5khz peak of the HD-600 is bothering you but higher frequencies like the peak of the DT-770 don't bother you.

The bass moves around a lot on the HD-600 if its recorded that way but it might also be that you haven't gotten used to the HD-600 yet if you say that the sound is presentation is weird to you.

Agree that the HD-598 is thin sounding, I gave mine away after owning them for a year but my ex-girlfriend loves them, granted she hasn't tried many different headphones.

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #16,694 of 23,486
You could be like me where the 4-5khz peak of the HD-600 is bothering you but higher frequencies like the peak of the DT-770 don't bother you.

The bass moves around a lot on the HD-600 if its recorded that way but it might also be that you haven't gotten used to the HD-600 yet if you say that the sound is presentation is weird to you.

Agree that the HD-598 is thin sounding, I gave mine away after owning them for a year but my ex-girlfriend loves them, granted she hasn't tried many different headphones.

So you agree that compared to other headphones the bass punch on the hd600 i much more all over the place (depending on the tracks) whereas on others is always more centered?

Yes it can be that spike..... I never felt like this before.... I can recognize what i think i harsh, thin or muddy but i never had my ears buzzing like this on any headphone.
The hd598 was very thin indeed bit with time i ended up enjoying the mids and overall presentation. But yeah those were still thin. Funny thing is last week i tried the hd558d wich i always thought i liked more due to more bass and i ended up noy liking them as much this time because i thought the highs and mids were lacking.... Probably i just got used to the hd598s with time despite bot being what i trully enjoy.

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #16,695 of 23,486
So you agree that compared to other headphones the bass punch on the hd600 i much more all over the place (depending on the tracks) whereas on others is always more centered?

Yes it can be that spike..... I never felt like this before.... I can recognize what i think i harsh, thin or muddy but i never had my ears buzzing like this on any headphone.
The hd598 was very thin indeed bit with time i ended up enjoying the mids and overall presentation. But yeah those were still thin. Funny thing is last week i tried the hd558d wich i always thought i liked more due to more bass and i ended up noy liking them as much this time because i thought the highs and mids were lacking.... Probably i just got used to the hd598s with time despite bot being what i trully enjoy.

All decent headphones will move the bass around if its in the recording, if you never heard too many better headphones before it might seem like a lot, the HD-598 does not have as much bass as the HD-600 so the movement of the bass might not be as noticeable in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back