Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #13,081 of 23,499

No. The HD600 and HD650 scale very well with amps. More is better (to an extent anyway). What you're getting out of a lower end amp isn't representative of how either of these headphones actually can sound. 

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=573&scale=30

i agree. i have the 600's and out of the LH Labs Geekoutv2 at 1000mw output they were nice. but now that I am running that output amped through an opp0 ha-2 they really sing now. everything is better.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #13,082 of 23,499
I might consider buying one of these. But I don't have a high end amp. I only own the nx1 topping. Will it be enough to power these?

The HD600 scale very well and will last you a long time. They will probably be fine with the Topping on high-gain. I don't see a problem with getting them. You will likely feel the need to upgrade your amp in the future (rather than upgrading your headphones). 

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #13,083 of 23,499
The whole idea of "scaling" gets blown out of proportion around these parts. The 600 sounds great plugged into my TV's headphone jack. Yes, the sonic improvements are significant with additional amplification, but people make it sound like you absolutely can't use a particular amp with the 600. The 600 is just more voltage-hungry than most headphones. On an underpowered amp it will be less dynamic with less bass slam than on a high-power (voltage) amp, but it will still have the same near-neutral frequency response. If the 600 sounds good with the amp you have, then don't worry about it. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #13,084 of 23,499
  The whole idea of "scaling" gets blown out of proportion around these parts. The 600 sounds great plugged into my TV's headphone jack. Yes, the sonic improvements are significant with additional amplification, but people make it sound like you absolutely can't use a particular amp with the 600. The 600 is just more voltage-hungry than most headphones. On an underpowered amp it will be less dynamic with less bass slam than on a high-power (voltage) amp, but it will still have the same near-neutral frequency response. If the 600 sounds good with the amp you have, then don't worry about it. 

Worry only, if you want more dynamics and more, better bass...
That's quite important for most of us...

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #13,087 of 23,499
I got the Schiit valhalla 2 .. and my what a difference. - The HD600s sound like different headphones :xf_eek:

Truly shocked as to how bad my Firestone audio amp sounds in comparison..
Can't wait till my HD800s arrive now.
You are in for a treat, that combo is really special. Great choice

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #13,088 of 23,499
Has anyone had any experience with the AD900x's? I'm looking to upgrade from them to the HD600's (with a Schiit Modi+Magni). I've been happy with the AD's for a while now but I feel it might be time to move on to something better, with the HD600's currently being the best candidate. My musical tastes are quite broad (anything from punk/garage, to psych, to rap, to funk) and I often play a variety of video games with my cans (is the step down in terms of sound stage really as drastic as many say it is?). How big of an improvement are the Sennheiser's over the AD900x's? Is it enough to justify the price (~$600 Australian)?

(I apologize if this is the wrong thread to be asking these types of questions in)

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #13,089 of 23,499
I posted this in another thread, but I'll ask here since it's for these headphones. I need an 4 pin Female XLR to TRRS plug built theoretically:

As I'm an electrical idiot,

a) is 8 wire vs 4 wire just a better build and more stiff?
b) what is the difference between "sleeved" cable vs un-sleeved? Just a wrap?
c) what does a 499 Ohm resistor per channel do?
d) I assume the silver plated copper theoretically gives a more "pure" connection?

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/Build-your-own-Adapter-cable/p/14641214/category=3351504

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #13,090 of 23,499
  Has anyone had any experience with the AD900x's? I'm looking to upgrade from them to the HD600's (with a Schiit Modi+Magni). I've been happy with the AD's for a while now but I feel it might be time to move on to something better, with the HD600's currently being the best candidate. My musical tastes are quite broad (anything from punk/garage, to psych, to rap, to funk) and I often play a variety of video games with my cans (is the step down in terms of sound stage really as drastic as many say it is?). How big of an improvement are the Sennheiser's over the AD900x's? Is it enough to justify the price (~$600 Australian)?

(I apologize if this is the wrong thread to be asking these types of questions in)

Well I've sold both the AD900x and the hd6000 for a dt880.
That's for sale too for what it's worth.

Also, I truly believe the dt880 in any Ohm flavor is superior to the hd600.

Just my opinion though.

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #13,091 of 23,499
  I posted this in another thread, but I'll ask here since it's for these headphones. I need an 4 pin Female XLR to TRRS plug built theoretically:

As I'm an electrical idiot,

a) is 8 wire vs 4 wire just a better build and more stiff?
b) what is the difference between "sleeved" cable vs un-sleeved? Just a wrap?
c) what does a 499 Ohm resistor per channel do?
d) I assume the silver plated copper theoretically gives a more "pure" connection?

http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/Build-your-own-Adapter-cable/p/14641214/category=3351504

Would suggest you call since the wiring for TRRS and XLR differ between manufactures.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #13,093 of 23,499
So the Music Streamer II+ came in, having returned the Music Streamer HD for popping sounds and squelching and cutting off. 

While I can tell the II+ is better than my II it's not dramatic. It's certainly not the encompassing, vaunted 'holographic' sound that the HD managed to impart to the HD600. 

What other quality dacs manage to improve the HD600 with such a 360 degree sound space? Now that I've heard the difference with the HD I really feel like I'm missing out. 

The easiest test song for this effect that I found was Queensryche - Empire (20th Anniversary Edition) - Silent Lucidity (2003 Remaster)

I guess I'm probably better off getting an HD800S rather than searching through dacs for such an experience. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #13,094 of 23,499
So the Music Streamer II+ came in, having returned the Music Streamer HD for popping sounds and squelching and cutting off. 

While I can tell the II+ is better than my II it's not dramatic. It's certainly not the encompassing, vaunted 'holographic' sound that the HD managed to impart to the HD600. 

What other quality dacs manage to improve the HD600 with such a 360 degree sound space? Now that I've heard the difference with the HD I really feel like I'm missing out. 

The easiest test song for this effect that I found was Queensryche - Empire (20th Anniversary Edition) - Silent Lucidity (2003 Remaster)

I guess I'm probably better off getting an HD800S rather than searching through dacs for such an experience. 

go multibit, check out schiit audio, you'll be happy you did

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #13,095 of 23,499

That doesn't make sense. If you desire a better DAC to feed the headphones you already own, how is buying another headphone going to satisfy you?

You and I are one the same chapter of our head-fi journey. I love my HD600, and I have a decent DAC. When I'm ready to upgrade, the DAC/Amp is what comes next. I'll want a more robust sound, with Balanced capabilities. That alone will upgrade the sound of the HD600. Then, and only then, will I even consider buying something like the Audeze LCD 2.2.

At this threshold I don't feel I'm getting the full potential of the HD600. Until I am, why would I even consider another set of cans? It'll be the same story all over again with the new pair.

Don't get me wrong, what I have sounds amazing. I simply desire a little more from my DAC. The D1 Plus has a fabulous amp section, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back