Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #12,797 of 23,498
  Just bought my first pair of HD600's tonight and so far I am enjoying them quite a bit, much lighter and more comfortable than my HE400's.

I do have one question, on one of the sides of the headband, where the metal band attaches to the part that connects to the actual driver cup, the cup doesn't move/ rotate as freely as the other. Hopefully that makes sense, its the part where the HD600 badge is. One side moves very freely, the other side doesn't move very easy. Currently when placed on my head the one side adjusts to the proper angle, where the stiff side you have to move yourself. Has anyone ever seen this before and possibly have a tip how to fix it? 

If you bought them in a store, I'd return them and/or ask them to have a look at it. It may get smoother over time, but on the other hand, it might not.

Yeah, they suck so much that my 10+ year old headphone still looked and operated like new when I sold it... /s

It is not unthinkable that over the intervening years, the materials and components have changed.

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #12,798 of 23,498
  Just bought my first pair of HD600's tonight and so far I am enjoying them quite a bit, much lighter and more comfortable than my HE400's.

I do have one question, on one of the sides of the headband, where the metal band attaches to the part that connects to the actual driver cup, the cup doesn't move/ rotate as freely as the other. Hopefully that makes sense, its the part where the HD600 badge is. One side moves very freely, the other side doesn't move very easy. Currently when placed on my head the one side adjusts to the proper angle, where the stiff side you have to move yourself. Has anyone ever seen this before and possibly have a tip how to fix it? 

Mine were the same as yours when I first got them, after some time it smoothed out and both sides move freely.

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #12,799 of 23,498
Well it's like most things sometimes you get a bad one. To say the HD600 is made from crappy materials is ridiculous.

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #12,800 of 23,498
Mine were the same as yours when I first got them, after some time it smoothed out and both sides move freely.

Thanks, that's good new. Hopefully they smooth out shortly then as they were not purchased from a store (low use from the previous owner though).

Overall still very comfortable though, feel like half the weight of my HE400's and I prefer the oval driver cups of the HD600 to the round ones of the HE400.

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #12,801 of 23,498
Hi all,  I have a question regarding HD600. Just bought one yesterday and I started to test all kinds of classical music with it. The DAC/amp I am using is JDS' Element. While most of them sound pretty good, I found obvious hiss sound on some very high notes played by violin (if you want to know, the one I tested is the first movement of Dvorak's Violin concerto, the solo passage has some really high notes). I never heard such distortion in my other cheaper headphones. So I did some google search and found someone say it is the existing problem of HD600 (high notes of violin or soprano), while others say this can be solved by burn-in. So I want to know whether this is a common case of HD600 and does burn-in really work? If not, I might need to return it and try something else. Thanks!

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #12,802 of 23,498
No, there is no such known problem. Who said it was? I can find occasional isolated reports on the internet that the sky is yellow and bears are Catholic, doesn't mean that's true.
Check your source or try another recording of the concerto.

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #12,803 of 23,498
  Hi all,  I have a question regarding HD600. Just bought one yesterday and I started to test all kinds of classical music with it. The DAC/amp I am using is JDS' Element. While most of them sound pretty good, I found obvious hiss sound on some very high notes played by violin (if you want to know, the one I tested is the first movement of Dvorak's Violin concerto, the solo passage has some really high notes). I never heard such distortion in my other cheaper headphones. So I did some google search and found someone say it is the existing problem of HD600 (high notes of violin or soprano), while others say this can be solved by burn-in. So I want to know whether this is a common case of HD600 and does burn-in really work? If not, I might need to return it and try something else. Thanks!

The other thing you possibly haven't though of is that other cheaper headphones were masking the noise in the recording, and the HD600 is simply revealing it to you.  Like Bill says - quite possibly the actual recording :)

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #12,804 of 23,498
If the noise is only in some recordings and not in others, then it is almost certainly the recordings, and not the equipment.

The better the gear you use, the more of these imperfections will be revealed. It's ok. It's part of what makes this journey so fun. You are discovering more about your favorite music.

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #12,805 of 23,498
Thanks for your and Bill's suggestions. Tried another recording of Dvoral's concerto I have and there is no problem with the high notes. So I think it is HD600 reveals the imperfection of the first recording while my cheaper headphone did not. OK, it is great news as I was thinking whether this could be a quality problem of my new headphone:)

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #12,806 of 23,498

I think what you're hearing is just detail you never heard before - a violin when mic'd very close, you hear all the hiss that actually is produced by the instrument. I know, because we violinists strive to produce that hiss under our ear - that's when we know that we're hitting the overtones that makes the tone project in a big hall. However, we do hope that the hiss is not audible to the audience - and it isn't usually. You can blame the sound guy for mic'ing the violinist up very "intimately".

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #12,807 of 23,498
  I think what you're hearing is just detail you never heard before - a violin when mic'd very close, you hear all the hiss that actually is produced by the instrument. I know, because we violinists strive to produce that hiss under our ear - that's when we know that we're hitting the overtones that makes the tone project in a big hall. However, we do hope that the hiss is not audible to the audience - and it isn't usually. You can blame the sound guy for mic'ing the violinist up very "intimately".

Very cool/interesting. From what I am gathering here, you (as the violin player) can "control" this hiss by varying your technique?

Is there a reason why this would be desired by the player and why you would not want the listening audience to hear? Not fully understanding, I would think that "all" of the natural sounds of the instrument would be desirable from a listening/playback perspective (natural hiss included).
confused.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #12,808 of 23,498

Very cool/interesting. From what I am gathering here, you (as the violin player) can "control" this hiss by varying your technique?

Is there a reason why this would be desired by the player and why you would not want the listening audience to hear? Not fully understanding, I would think that "all" of the natural sounds of the instrument would be desirable from a listening/playback perspective (natural hiss included).
confused.gif

Oh, it's not a "pleasant" sound that we hear under the ear when we play, especially if we're trying to project in a big hall. Kind of like how stage actors have to exagerrate all the consonants to make the words be understood in the back row. If you talked like that normally people would think you're a bit weird. Anyway, that hiss is just high frequency overtones that dissipate pretty quickly in a big space, and therefore don't ever reach the audience.

And yeah, it's just technique and learning to associate one sound under the ear to the resulting sound in the hall.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #12,809 of 23,498
  Oh, it's not a "pleasant" sound that we hear under the ear when we play, especially if we're trying to project in a big hall. Kind of like how stage actors have to exagerrate all the consonants to make the words be understood in the back row. If you talked like that normally people would think you're a bit weird. Anyway, that hiss is just high frequency overtones that dissipate pretty quickly in a big space, and therefore don't ever reach the audience.

And yeah, it's just technique and learning to associate one sound under the ear to correspond with the sound in the hall.

Ah, gotcha! Thanks for the info/education.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #12,810 of 23,498
Check out this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N15_3_TP7I

Jascha Heifetz was notorious for insisting being mic'd super close, and the resulting recording is not what I'd call pleasing.

Listen from about 17:29 for a long cadenza.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back