Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #12,782 of 23,486
  Those measurements show pretty big differences

Could be one of those cases where the differences don't sound nearly as prominent as they look in a graph. Graphs are good, but ears are better; not for accuracy's sake, the computers got us beat on that front, but our ears are the true point of contact after all and they aren't computers.

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #12,783 of 23,486
  Could be one of those cases where the differences don't sound nearly as prominent as they look in a graph. Graphs are good, but ears are better; not for accuracy's sake, the computers got us beat on that front, but our ears are the true point of contact after all and they aren't computers.

Treble ridges in CSD plots are known to be audible to the human ear, though, and not in a pleasant way.

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #12,784 of 23,486
It's not just the ringing / decay - look at the actual frequency plot - very big differences from 4K to 10K.  Those are very audible.

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #12,785 of 23,486
Mind you, these plots are always "one HD600" vs "one HD580", and manufacturing variance also plays a pretty big role, so ideally we'd have bigger sample sizes for differences to have more meaning.

Nov 24, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #12,786 of 23,486
HD600, DT880, and Alpha Dogs sit in my stable.

I think each headphone has something I prefer over the others.

The HD600 has an excellent top to bottom balance and probably the cleanest sounding treble of the bunch.

The DT880 has a more analytical focus and it tends to exaggerate some details which can be good or bad depending on how the recording is. I think the DT880's bass also extends slightly deeper than HD600 but the HD600 has more overall quantity.

Alpha Dog slaughters the bunch with the more present and deepest bass and it is obvious when listening to pop and EDM. The Alpha Dog and HD600 are also very close in ambient cues and the low volume details. The Alpha Dogs have a slight advantage in vocals over the HD600s and the midrange is more natural sounding. I just think the Alpha Dogs don't have the most articulate treble, however it never ends up sounding splashy or sibilant. It is just has less overall extension and air than the HD600.

I'd pick the HD600s as the best overall headphones if your preference is rock or classical and you don't plan on listening to hip hop, rap, EDM, or anything with a womp womp type bass.

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #12,787 of 23,486
  Treble ridges in CSD plots are known to be audible to the human ear, though, and not in a pleasant way.

That I can certainly agree with and I wouldn't call myself treble-sensitive. They tend to be the exact freqs that can cause fatigue and discomfort. Treble is one of the double-edged swords of the audio world. Bass and mids done badly just make the experience less enjoyable in terms of fidelity. But treble, if it's done well sounds great, but let it go out of line and your ears won't be happy.

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #12,789 of 23,486

Those differences are very audible. I've owned the silver driver 580s and 600s and the measurement looks about the same comparatively from listening.

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #12,790 of 23,486
  Those differences are very audible. I've owned the silver driver 580s and 600s and the measurement looks about the same comparatively from listening.

Wouldn't be surprised. Differences in the treble region are very noticeable when the spikes are that big. I was totally not paying attention at all to the scale; I really shouldn't try to read graphs in the morning haha
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #12,792 of 23,486
Just bought my first pair of HD600's tonight and so far I am enjoying them quite a bit, much lighter and more comfortable than my HE400's.

I do have one question, on one of the sides of the headband, where the metal band attaches to the part that connects to the actual driver cup, the cup doesn't move/ rotate as freely as the other. Hopefully that makes sense, its the part where the HD600 badge is. One side moves very freely, the other side doesn't move very easy. Currently when placed on my head the one side adjusts to the proper angle, where the stiff side you have to move yourself. Has anyone ever seen this before and possibly have a tip how to fix it? 

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #12,794 of 23,486
  The materials on the HD600 suck (I don't really care about that though, since it's light). Just wait until the other side loosens over time.

Yeah, they suck so much that my 10+ year old headphone still looked and operated like new when I sold it... /s

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #12,795 of 23,486
  The materials on the HD600 suck (I don't really care about that though, since it's light). Just wait until the other side loosens over time.

Suck so much still going strong after almost 2 decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back