Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #12,541 of 23,486

I've always been very treble sensitive. Badly mastered recordings sounded really harsh on HD600, whereas X2 is somehow able to mask this without sounding less detailed. FWIW, now I'm getting more cues from the same old tracks I'm used to because of improved imaging/soundstage.

Tube amplifiers will cure harsh tremble somewhat. On forgiveness, 600 is a lot better than IE80. :)

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #12,542 of 23,486
Also, the HD600 has a small peak in the 3-4 kHz range where the human ear is most sensitive. Even a couple dB of boost here will stick out like a sore thumb. The X2, in comparison, is under-emphasized in this range, which makes it more forgiving of harsh recordings.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #12,543 of 23,486

I've always been very treble sensitive. Badly mastered recordings sounded really harsh on HD600, whereas X2 is somehow able to mask this without sounding less detailed. FWIW, now I'm getting more cues from the same old tracks I'm used to because of improved imaging/soundstage.

Then it's very understandable the HD600 sounds the way it does to you since it does have a treble spike uncomfortable for some people. I'm not surprised that the X2 does better with the sound stage and imaging. The X1 already had a much better sound stage in my opinion than the HD600 and to my knowledge, the X2 retained that while adding other layers of goodness.

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #12,544 of 23,486
Never heard that combo but I could always shuffle my HD600 to the Bifrost MB and Asgard 2 stack. Given suggestion about what people prefer, I know HD600 pairs well with a high impedance OTL tube amp and to my ears it is a winning combination. A few posts above a user suggested the BH Crack sounds better than Lyr 2, but I'm sure there are people who would argue the other way given the set of tubes in the Lyr 2 you could roll.

Is actually lyr1, I thought this combination would be great... Although I have already own an o2 amp

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #12,545 of 23,486

Oh, sorry for misunderstanding. Well, I cannot give more comment since I almost only listen to large work classical, so mainly instrumentments. But opera is also great.
I believe X2 is an excellent headphone by listeing to 9500.

Based on your type of musical preference I would recommend the HD-800, can' beat it for classical IMO.  I also have the HD-600/650, X1 and 9500, they all have their good and bad points but I use them for different genre's of music where each does well.

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #12,546 of 23,486
  Based on your type of musical preference I would recommend the HD-800, can' beat it for classical IMO.  I also have the HD-600/650, X1 and 9500, they all have their good and bad points but I use them for different genre's of music where each does well.

I know. But I have no passion for such an expensive headphone and related amplifiers now. I'm pretty happy with 600 now. I just steped into hifi. Maybe after a few years. So what's genre you give to 600 and 9500 separately?
Thanks!

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #12,547 of 23,486
Just took delivery of the HD600s today - bought for a very good price to replace my HD565 Ovations which have a dodgy connection and no headband padding (evaporated away to nothing!).  I hadn't previously heard the 600s but chose them ahead of the 650s after reading reviews that described them as more neutral.  Anyway, I've got them now.  How long do I need to run them in before they will be at their best?  I will be running them off a Chord Hugo.  Thanks for any thoughts..

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #12,548 of 23,486
  Just took delivery of the HD600s today - bought for a very good price to replace my HD565 Ovations which have a dodgy connection and no headband padding (evaporated away to nothing!).  I hadn't previously heard the 600s but chose them ahead of the 650s after reading reviews that described them as more neutral.  Anyway, I've got them now.  How long do I need to run them in before they will be at their best?  I will be running them off a Chord Hugo.  Thanks for any thoughts..

The best person to answer that for you is you.  Tell us if you think there is change over the next hours/days/etc.

I have enjoyed my HD600's from minute zero.  If they changed, and if that wasn't just my habituation to their sound, then fine.  

Oct 15, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #12,549 of 23,486

The best person to answer that for you is you.  Tell us if you think there is change over the next hours/days/etc.

I have enjoyed my HD600's from minute zero.  If they changed, and if that wasn't just my habituation to their sound, then fine.  

+1. Some people like to just run music through their headphones for several days before actually listening, but I tend to just put them on immediately. HD600s sounded great to me as soon as I put them on as well.

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #12,550 of 23,486
Yeah. Just put 'em on and enjoy. If you don't like them now you never will. Unless it's an amperage issue.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #12,551 of 23,486
Yeah. Just put 'em on and enjoy. If you don't like them now you never will. Unless it's an amperage issue.

Pretty much what I've found in my experience, both headphones and IEMs. I think I have yet to put anything on that I immediately disliked and ended up liking after listening more. First impressions can be very important as it's about whether or not you agree with the sound signature.

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #12,552 of 23,486
For those who desperately believe in burn-in, that's fine and good. But no amount of burn-in will turn cans you dislike into cans you love.

A little brain burn-in can do wonders, though. That also requires just putting them on and listening.
:)

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #12,553 of 23,486
For those who desperately believe in burn-in, that's fine and good. But no amount of burn-in will turn cans you dislike into cans you love.

A little brain burn-in can do wonders, though. That also requires just putting them on and listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is a truth.

Oct 16, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #12,555 of 23,486
Thanks for all your comments.  Am listening to them now - very good.  Hoping that the clamping force on my head will ease a little over the coming days.  Don't want to press my luck by trying to stretch them too much.  Cheers.

If you do want to stretch the headband, make sure that the metal straps are fully extended from the plastic headband and gently bend the metal. Not the plastic. HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back