Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #12,166 of 23,499
Hmm... I never plug/unplug when powering my D1 Plus on and off. Never thought I was supposed to.

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #12,169 of 23,499
Hmm... I never plug/unplug when powering my D1 Plus on and off. Never thought I was supposed to.

D1 isn't OTL.

Try with an OTL amp from just turned on, plug headphones, listen to the instant feedback thump/crackle.

And Billheiser - I think Schiit have a protection circuit in there somewhere with the Valhalla, and the Vali is hybrid - so you don't need one.

Again - with straight OTL - I'd advise caution.  It depends on the amp.

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #12,170 of 23,499

D1 isn't OTL.

Try with an OTL amp from just turned on, plug headphones, listen to the instant feedback thump/crackle.

And Billheiser - I think Schiit have a protection circuit in there somewhere with the Valhalla, and the Vali is hybrid - so you don't need one.

Again - with straight OTL - I'd advise caution.  It depends on the amp.

Hi, Brooko,
Mine is OTL. So can I just as Bill said, turn the volume to minium and turn off?
Thanks!

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #12,172 of 23,499
Hmmm - just tried leaving mine plugged in with volume down - and then switched it on cold (volume down).  No feedback.  Seems to work like this - thanks Bill.  I guess problem might be if you actually plug it cold.

I still think I'll carry on plugging and unplugging though (before turning on and off).  I always have my headphones on stands anyway (and use whatever I feel like on the day) - so probably makes more sense to me that way.

@yangian - just try it and see if you get feedback.  As long as you don't, you should be good to go.

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #12,173 of 23,499
  Hmmm - just tried leaving mine plugged in with volume down - and then switched it on cold (volume down).  No feedback.  Seems to work like this - thanks Bill.  I guess problem might be if you actually plug it cold.

I still think I'll carry on plugging and unplugging though (before turning on and off).  I always have my headphones on stands anyway (and use whatever I feel like on the day) - so probably makes more sense to me that way.

@yangian - just try it and see if you get feedback.  As long as you don't, you should be good to go.

Thanks, Brooko. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #12,174 of 23,499
Although I've been fine not worrying about unplugging them, it is true as Brooko said that my particular Schiits are designed w/ protection. On other OTL's, caution is warranted and it never hurts to be careful.

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #12,175 of 23,499

Based on my own experience I would say it's very true. Going from Vali to Project Polaris was a exceedingly different experience with the same headphone. I really thought it sounded good with the Vali, but was wrong. Again: A whole new experience with better amping. 

Agree. Amplifier is important. Proper good amplifiers open up the soundstage of HD600 and make its soundstage a sphere. Without fully dfrived, HD600 does has restricted soundstage width.

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #12,176 of 23,499
  Agree. Amplifier is important. Proper good amplifiers open up the soundstage of HD600 and make its soundstage a sphere. Without fully dfrived, HD600 does has restricted soundstage width.

The HD600's aren't as hard to drive as some people make it out to be.

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #12,179 of 23,499
The HD600 is not that hard to drive. It sounds great out of an iPad, it's just not very loud. It can be driven "properly" by just about any headphone amplifier, including high-impedance tube amps. It doesn't have weird amping requirements like certain low-impedance, low-sensitivity headphones have.

Also, I would like to hear an explanation as to how amplifiers can shape a headphone's soundstage. That makes no sense to me at all. Maybe if you're using some tube amp with a high-frequency rolloff, certain instruments like triangles will be pushed back in the soundstage. I'm pretty clueless about this transformational quality that amps have, although my experience with amps is restricted to the entry-level.

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #12,180 of 23,499
The HD600 is not that hard to drive. It sounds great out of an iPad, it's just not very loud. It can be driven "properly" by just about any headphone amplifier, including high-impedance tube amps. It doesn't have weird amping requirements like certain low-impedance, low-sensitivity headphones have.

Also, I would like to hear an explanation as to how amplifiers can shape a headphone's soundstage. That makes no sense to me at all. Maybe if you're using some tube amp with a high-frequency rolloff, certain instruments like triangles will be pushed back in the soundstage. I'm pretty clueless about this transformational quality that amps have, although my experience with amps is restricted to the entry-level.

Again, we're approaching that "able to drive" vs. "driven properly" that @yangian mentioned. It's not that the iPad can't drive it to high enough volume, but that amp quality matters in terms of efficiency and power quality. I think what there is to account for is that several forum members have said that with the same DAC and music, the HD600s have sounded better with a higher quality amp. I can't attest to this myself though as my two points of data gathering are the Firestone Audio FUBAR IV Plus and Topping D20/TP30mkII, neither of which are exactly high end (far from it but solid value I think). While I think that the TP30mkII amp is better than the FUBAR, the D20 DAC is also better than the one in the FUBAR; so as I changed both at the same time, I have no reference to test the difference in amping. Other members here could give you a better idea though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back