Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #11,236 of 23,486

CLAS and Pure II, also the SR71-A, all of which are great with the 600.  I think the Hugo's DAC makes the larger difference.

I think headphones make the big difference the rest is small in comparison unless the products are poorly designed. ymmv.

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #11,237 of 23,486
I just got the E12. Holy schiit, this thing is powerful. And it doesn't sound treble-tilted at all. The HD600 hooked up to the E12 sounds just like it does with the E07K/E09K. The crossfeed sucks out a lot of the energy from the music and is basically a high shelf filter, but I've learned to live without crossfeed. I'm only using it occasionally for some old-school recordings. Modern music doesn't need it at all.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #11,238 of 23,486
At this point with my HD600s, I don't see too much reason to buy more TOTL cans. I understand they'll be technically superior, but at this point, I've hit a great balance of musical fidelity and enjoyment. More headphones for me right now is just a dabbling into diversity of sound sigs.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #11,239 of 23,486
  At this point with my HD600s, I don't see too much reason to buy more TOTL cans. I understand they'll be technically superior, but at this point, I've hit a great balance of musical fidelity and enjoyment. More headphones for me right now is just a dabbling into diversity of sound sigs.

HD600's, to me, are still the best Sennheiser.  Even though the HD800 had so many advancements, i still feel the tonality, and proportionality of the midrange, in the HD600, was the most natural Sennheiser ever produced.  If only the HD800 wasn't slightly recessed from 900z to around 3k, and had better bass response, it might be the best headphone on earth.  Until then, the 600 was their best offering.  here's to hoping they get the HD850 right.

HD600 is what made sennheiser a household name in the pro audio business.  And subsequent sales of their supposed predecessors, is mainly due to how great the HD600 was for its time, and frankly, always will be.

The HD600, is like the MDR-7506 & MDR-V6....it'll likely be in production for decades to come, and for good reason.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #11,240 of 23,486

HD600's, to me, are still the best Sennheiser.  Even though the HD800 had so many advancements, i still feel the tonality, and proportionality of the midrange, in the HD600, was the most natural Sennheiser ever produced.  If only the HD800 wasn't slightly recessed from 900z to around 3k, and had better bass response, it might be the best headphone on earth.  Until then, the 600 was their best offering.  here's to hoping they get the HD850 right.

HD600 is what made sennheiser a household name in the pro audio business.  And subsequent sales of their supposed predecessors, is mainly due to how great the HD600 was for its time, and frankly, always will be.

The HD600, is like the MDR-7506 & MDR-V6....it'll likely be in production for decades to come, and for good reason.

Plus, the HD600s are super accessible with a price tag that doesn't require selling a limb and such great all-around capability that it really doesn't matter what genre of music you listen to. If you listen to music, then it will sound good out of these.

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #11,241 of 23,486

I pretty much agree and echo your sentiments. With the recent addition of an HD600 to my stable anything else would be just a fun phone for a different sig. The only thing I would consider 'moving up' for me would be a  Fostex TH900 / Alpha Prime as a preferred closed headphone

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #11,242 of 23,486
Between my HD600's and HE-500's, I feel that I have all bases covered for some time to come. Now ask me again in a few weeks.
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #11,243 of 23,486
  I pretty much agree and echo your sentiments. With the recent addition of an HD600 to my stable anything else would be just a fun phone for a different sig. The only thing I would consider 'moving up' for me would be a  Fostex TH900 / Alpha Prime as a preferred closed headphone

From my experience if you hang around Head Fi too often, your consideration on moving up will be accelerated by 10x.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #11,247 of 23,486
Macroeconomic policies are the same as crime? Dang, I'm going to stop promoting full employment, and just start robbing people, then.

Get in line behind all the politicians. They've been at it for a long time. Perhaps you can have a new policy, "A headphone for every head."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back