Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #11,056 of 23,486
I saw a device advertised a while back that was some sort of interconnect/attenuator connected between your amp output and the headphone that supposedly limited headphone volume to either 70 or 80db (can't remember specifics) I meant to take note of it at the time but forgot and haven't been able to locate it since. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #11,057 of 23,486
  I saw a device advertised a while back that was some sort of interconnect/attenuator connected between your amp output and the headphone that supposedly limited headphone volume to either 70 or 80db (can't remember specifics) I meant to take note of it at the time but forgot and haven't been able to locate it since. 

I have been seeing ads for children's headphones that do that.

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #11,058 of 23,486
Apr 7, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #11,059 of 23,486

It will be fine at reasonable safe levels. My E12 volume knob is less than 1/3 up and it more than loud enough for me If you want unsafe ear damaging levels that's another story.

It's good to have some headroom so that's a good nominal position for the volume control. Of course some folks can never get enough wattage, I'm in the camp that anything above headroom is never used and simply wasted. Then there's the myths about DR. Most contemporary music is highly compressed and if not, the DR of recorded music is not as stellar as some people pretend.
If an amp is seriously lacking in power one can easily hear some distortion on peaks. Some folks won't even hear small to even moderate levels of transient distortion, you know the people wearing overpriced celebrity endorsed headphones.

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #11,061 of 23,486
  It's good to have some headroom so that's a good nominal position for the volume control. Of course some folks can never get enough wattage, I'm in the camp that anything above headroom is never used and simply wasted. Then there's the myths about DR. Most contemporary music is highly compressed and if not, the DR of recorded music is not as stellar as some people pretend.
If an amp is seriously lacking in power one can easily hear some distortion on peaks. Some folks won't even hear small to even moderate levels of transient distortion, you know the people wearing overpriced celebrity endorsed headphones.

You can't have to much power. I just didn't want people thinking they would not enjoy there 600s with lower power amps.

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #11,062 of 23,486

You can't have to much power. I just didn't want people thinking they would not enjoy there 600s with lower power amps.

I agree that one need not have a Megawatt to enjoy the 600's. I don't agree about having too much power, if it's never used it does nothing for you, other than drain the wallet.

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #11,063 of 23,486

My blunder/typo, it's the E6 that can deliver 9.2 mW at 300 Ohms. I calculated that by the Vp-p Max. rating from FiiO's specifications.

These could be off but what I'm finding posted at sellers.

FiiO E6 Specifications

Output power
150mW (16Ohms Loaded)
16mW (300Ohms Loaded)
SNR
=95dB(A weight)

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #11,064 of 23,486

These could be off but what I'm finding posted at sellers.

FiiO E6 Specifications

Output power
150mW (16Ohms Loaded)
16mW (300Ohms Loaded)
SNR
=95dB(A weight)

FiiO recommends 16-150 Ohms. They spec the Vp-p Max at 4.7 Vp-p which is what I used to calculate the max power.

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #11,065 of 23,486

I have been seeing ads for children's headphones that do that.

That is a great idea. A band I listen too used to be big into hearing conservation as childrens hearing is typically still deveoping until around age 8 or so and particularly suscetible until then. They would have foam earplugs available for free to all but especially pushed it towards kids at their shows. They have pulled back a bit and I understand why. I used to grab a few pairs and offer them to parents of children or young kids I saw without them. I was always polite and non-condescending but people are jerks and take offense (in their mind you aren't helping save a kids hearing - you are challenging their parenting skills) and many were rude or hostile and a few times it seemed as if somebody wanted to fight me over it so I decided just not worth it any longer.

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #11,066 of 23,486
  FiiO recommends 16-150 Ohms. They spec the Vp-p Max at 4.7 Vp-p which is what I used to calculate the max power.

All I can say is they drive my 600s better than I thought they would.

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #11,067 of 23,486

All I can say is they drive my 600s better than I thought they would.

Power vs. dB is not linear so the leap in mW is not as amazing as some folks would believe. I have an E6 but haven't used it for a long time as I tend to listen a bit on the loud side and experienced transient distortion too often for my liking. If I listened at a much lower level perhaps it wouldn't have bugged me as much. It's certainly good for most IEMs.

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #11,068 of 23,486
  That is a great idea. A band I listen too used to be big into hearing conservation as childrens hearing is typically still deveoping until around age 8 or so and particularly suscetible until then. They would have foam earplugs available for free to all but especially pushed it towards kids at their shows. They have pulled back a bit and I understand why. I used to grab a few pairs and offer them to parents of children or young kids I saw without them. I was always polite and non-condescending but people are jerks and take offense (in their mind you aren't helping save a kids hearing - you are challenging their parenting skills) and many were rude or hostile and a few times it seemed as if somebody wanted to fight me over it so I decided just not worth it any longer.

I was just watching a Greatful Dead DVD while on treadmill form 1989. No ear protection at all none of them. You don't see that anymore.

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #11,070 of 23,486
  Was it the Truckin' up to Buffalo DVD ? (BTW it was Dark Star Orchstra that was big on kids hearing conservation) 

Yes it was as a matter of fact. Good show too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back