Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #10,381 of 23,486

I certainly don't want a V shaped sound signature as I love mids, I would say I prefer a slightly warmer sound. I really like the HD600s and the flat & neutral doesn't bother me, I'm keen to try and make them work. When I turn the volume up on the Magni it can sound really nice, but I'm not able to comfortably listen like that for long. Perhaps EQ would be a viable solution to take some of the harshness out of the top frequencies.

What you've just described is the HD650.

Here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #10,382 of 23,486

Here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650

Great minds think alike. 
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #10,383 of 23,486
  Other than the lower mids, that sounds a little more like the HD650's compared to the HD600's. You can probably accomplish this by EQ. What app are you using? You can push up the Sub Bass and tone down the treble a bit, etc.

Hmm, thanks guys, I'll certainly look into demoing some HD650s with a view to swapping if they do the job.

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #10,389 of 23,486
  I think using an amp to tone down treble is overrated. Did you try a touch of EQ? All that a tube amp will do is possibly add some even order harmonic distortion, which some people prefer as a little coloration.
You might prefer the HD650's.

Let me add some addtiional info for Tro95 for background and context.

Modern tube amplifiers are not the warm, syrupy, overly romantic amplifiers that many folks think they are from the days of the Dyna ST-70, PAS3 or C-J PV5. Modern tube gear is fast, clean and neutral. This absolutely applies to the Schiit Valhalla 2. It's neutral as all get-out, IHMO (I own and use a Val 2 with my HD600s), so it is not "colored" in the way you describe. Neither is my tube-based C-J CT-5 and LP70S preamp and power amp for my loudspeaker system, for that matter. 

What I would say that most well-designed tube gear is is "mellifluous"; there is a flow, liquidity, timbral "rightness", harmonic richness, and yes, musicality that if present in tube gear  that a lot of people like for listening to music. This does not mean that it cannot be neutral. Moreover, the best SS gear (Burmester, Pass, and DarTZeel specifically come mind) also has what some regard as a "tube-like" sound; this is NOT a negative, quite the opposite. Spectral, OTOH, is another matter altogether. 

Additionally, it is well known, from a synergy perspective, that HD600s sound particularly good with output transformer-less triode based amplifiers, which is exactly what the Valhalla 2 is, and I am confident that the HD600/650 and the 600 ohm Beyers were exactly the headphones that Jason had in mind when he designed this amplifier in the first place. 

Some folks have reported that the Magni can be a bit bright and dry-sounding in some applications or with some recordings, as Tro has. The Val 2 is very resolving, but in my experience, and with the right tubes, it is not bright or dry or hard to listen to. 

Tro95, if you get the Val 2, and I would recommend that you do, try rolling some Amperex 6922s into it. My guess is you will love it as much as I do. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #10,390 of 23,486

Let me add some addtiional info for Tro95 for background and context.

Modern tube amplifiers are not the warm, syrupy, overly romantic amplifiers that many folks think they are from the days of the Dyna ST-70, PAS3 or C-J PV5. Modern tube gear is fast, clean and neutral. This absolutely applies to the Schiit Valhalla 2. It's neutral as all get-out, IHMO (I own and use a Val 2 with my HD600s), so it is not "colored" in the way you describe. Neither is my tube-based C-J CT-5 and LP70S preamp and power amp for my loudspeaker system, for that matter. 

What I would say that most well-designed tube gear is is "mellifluous"; there is a flow, liquidity, timbral "rightness", harmonic richness, and yes, musicality that if present in tube gear  that a lot of people like for listening to music. This does not mean that it cannot be neutral. Moreover, the best SS gear (Burmester, Pass, and DarTZeel specifically come mind) also has what some regard as a "tube-like" sound; this is NOT a negative, quite the opposite. Spectral, OTOH, is another matter altogether. 

Additionally, it is well known, from a synergy perspective, that HD600s sound particularly good with output transformer-less triode based amplifiers, which is exactly what the Valhalla 2 is, and I am confident that the HD600/650 and the 600 ohm Beyers were exactly the headphones that Jason had in mind when he designed this amplifier in the first place. 

Some folks have reported that the Magni can be a bit bright and dry-sounding in some applications or with some recordings, as Tro has. The Val 2 is very resolving, but in my experience, and with the right tubes, it is not bright or dry or hard to listen to. 

Tro95, if you get the Val 2, and I would recommend that you do, try rolling some Amperex 6922s into it. My guess is you will love it as much as I do. 

One can find some tube amps that genereate lots of THD, usually but not always cheap, not my cup of tea. I've volume matched A/B'd the Magni 1 and found that it is not bright at all, IMO that's some people repeating a story that others simply believe. I think there's a great deal of really good amps using a variety of technologies at various of price points so everyone should be able to find what floats their boat.
I like neutral, however it is achieved. If I want to alter tonality, I'll reach for EQ to push up the extended sub bass when it suites me. If I have a pair of headphones that I dislike, as far as I'm concerned nothing is going to save them.

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #10,391 of 23,486
With the Vali I always thought it sound quite balanced and neutral with a slight warmth to it but now paired with the HM-601LE (which is really a 602 with less on board memory) it gives the HD600 a perfect amount of warmth along with a rich organic sound that I absolutely love.     

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #10,392 of 23,486
New HD600 owner checking in. Still on the fence for DAC / AMP choice. But here's something interesting I concluded so far about the HD600 compared to its top range wireless brother:

I previously bought an RS220 after reading some claims that it offered similar performance to the HD600 and HD650. Got the wireless unit, and was ecstatic with it the first few weeks. It sounded great and expected never to consider a wired headphone again. After some time, I realized I still had an untouched HD600 sitting on the top of my bookcase bought 2 weeks before the RS220. I had not compared them. No point really, since I don't have anything worthwhile to power the HD600 with. Anyway, my curiosity got the better side of me, so I started comparing the HD600 on an iPad (yes, you read correctly) to the RS220, expecting the RS220 to win with flying colors.

Well... the result was anything but that...

Running the RS220 from the optical out on my TeddyU2S (USB/SPDIF converter), and using Jriver Media Center as player on my HTPC, I could quickly swap between the 2 units, and compare the sound within 10 second intervals. When I put on the HD600, the first thing I noticed was the comfort. It's a lot better than the RS220, which is not bad by itself comfort wise. I started playing Caspian's "Hymn for the greatest generation" and was treated to a wider and deeper soundstage on the HD600. There was less bass, but it was tighter and more pleasant than the slightly bloated bass on the RS220. Guitars had more of a snap to them, midrange and highs were better extended, but still nice and smooth. Instrument layering was also superior. To put these differences to the RS220 in perspective, they were not massive, but they certainly weren't small either.

I noticed something else about the RS220 that had not been apparant before hearing the HD600: It sounds a lot more compressed, like it is being held back. As if someone pulled up the handbrake one notch while driving on the freeway. Or like listening to a speaker that is falling short of proper amplification. I don't know whether the RS220 design had to be compromised due to the low power (2xAAA) or whether the wireless technology is causing this, but the RS220 is definitely not in the same league as an underpowered HD600. Anybody saying they have similar performance has not heard them side by side.  

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #10,393 of 23,486
Just got my 600's in last night.  Played from my Sansa Clip through my O2 amp, sounded  great right out of the box.  Had the 580 about twenty years ago, and still regret selling it.  These definitely have a bit of a different sound than I remember from the 580's.  Far better treble extenison and definition, crisp and clear mids.   Bass reasonably tight and warm, though not extending into the sub-bass.  All in all, I'm really digging them already.  Love the looks compared to the old drab 580's.  They also feel lighter and more comfortable, clamping force just right.  IMO, this is as close to a neutral phone that I have heard, other than sub-bass.

I used to drive my 580's from my Bryston pre-amp, which has a 120 ohm output impedance, compared to the 02's 1 ohm.  I'll be trying that tonight, it will probably add some fullness to the upper bass, which may or may not be good.   The other pleasant surprise is the soundstage, its much better than I remember from the 580's.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #10,394 of 23,486
My 15 year old 600s rarely get used, they aren't portable and at home I prefer speakers, so last night I plugged into my Audiolab MDAC, and just wow, these are a reference to me, a yardstick to measure other headphones by. I seriously cannot fault the sound.
Its easy to forget how great these things are.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #10,395 of 23,486
From that vintage, I wonder if you have the older or newer version of the drivers.

I don't get to listen to my speakers as often as I used to, unfortunately (Dynaudio 1.3SE).   I find my three main listening transducers at this point (The Dynaudio's, Phonak Audeo PFE, and the Senn HD600) all have a similar signature.  I also have the RHA-M750, which I also like quite a bit, and that delivers the sub-bass rumble that the others can't quite achieve, and is a bit brighter.

I also have the AT ATH-AD900x which also sounds a bit similar to the others (may sell them off as the Senn replaces them, but I really like them so may hold on to them) and the AT M50x, which sound quite good, but is uncomfortable and I just can't justify keeping them as I will be listening to the full-size open phones at home or the IEM's on the go, so they justwon't get ear time. The 50x will be returned because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back