Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #7,921 of 23,482
  Even the best cables you could get won't make more than 1% of a difference.. so save your money

I'm the only one who saved money by not buying the Sennheiser cable, thanks to how the local distro doesn't stock it, then shipping costs and import duties will just inflate the price, and someone here braided conductors for my cable for the price of a stock HD650 cable. I really hate the local distro - I called them up once to ask about earpads, and the guy who answered felt like he was talking to some alien on LSD, so I asked to talk to anybody directly working with Sennheiser products (they deal with other stuff too), then three minutes later I heard a click and the line went dead. I called several times over to berate anyone who'd pick up the phone before asking for their manager, and nobody answered. And to think that number I called was given by Sennheiser showroom staff.

Anyone who can get the cables online and within the same country, consider yourselves lucky and get those.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #7,922 of 23,482

I'm the only one who saved money by not buying the Sennheiser cable, thanks to how the local distro doesn't stock it, then shipping costs and import duties will just inflate the price, and someone here braided conductors for my cable for the price of a stock HD650 cable. I really hate the local distro - I called them up once to ask about earpads, and the guy who answered felt like he was talking to some alien on LSD, so I asked to talk to anybody directly working with Sennheiser products (they deal with other stuff too), then three minutes later I heard a click and the line went dead. I called several times over to berate anyone who'd pick up the phone before asking for their manager, and nobody answered. And to think that number I called was given by Sennheiser showroom staff.

Anyone who can get the cables online and within the same country, consider yourselves lucky and get those.

Yea, I was replying to the original poster who asked if cables improve sound, not you. You're kinda a special case here :D unlucky i suppose, I have called the local sennheiser distributor and they seem quite friendly

Jun 27, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #7,923 of 23,482
  Yea, I was replying to the original poster who asked if cables improve sound, not you. You're kinda a special case here :D unlucky i suppose, I have called the local sennheiser distributor and they seem quite friendly

I know, I was just sharing 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #7,924 of 23,482
Jun 27, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #7,925 of 23,482

I found my HD600 as detailled as my K702 .

Just to add - if one uses an amp that isn't having any difficulty driving the K70x and the HD600, the differences in tonal qualities and soundstage aren't as large as people usually think they are. Very small, in fact - on my Cantate.2 the AKG was only a smidge wider and the HD600 only a little bit "warmer" (that or the AKG was louder in some frequencies). Dynamics particularly of the bass notes were nearly identical. It wasn't until I tried a K701, Q701, and the HD600 on a Burson Soloist that I got to appreciate how much more dynamic the AKGs can sound, nearly like a Grado with a decent amp but with soundstage (very much like Dynaudios) but on more practical terms at least the HD600 won't be nearly as demanding with amps. 

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #7,926 of 23,482

Just to add - if one uses an amp that isn't having any difficulty driving the K70x and the HD600, the differences in tonal qualities and soundstage aren't as large as people usually think they are. Very small, in fact - on my Cantate.2 the AKG was only a smidge wider and the HD600 only a little bit "warmer" (that or the AKG was louder in some frequencies). Dynamics particularly of the bass notes were nearly identical. It wasn't until I tried a K701, Q701, and the HD600 on a Burson Soloist that I got to appreciate how much more dynamic the AKGs can sound, nearly like a Grado with a decent amp but with soundstage (very much like Dynaudios) but on more practical terms at least the HD600 won't be nearly as demanding with amps. 

Thanks for that description. I snapped up the Q701 real cheap, looking forward to see how they fair against HD600 plugged into the marantz player. Right now on the HD600, I'm going through albums recorded at Sound City - particularly Fleetwood Mac - and it's a mind blowing experience. The width (first time I'm hearing this kind of width on the HD600), the detail are all amazing. I have a really open mind to music, so I'd like to see some album recommendations from anybody that feel make the HD600 truly shine :) Cheers

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #7,927 of 23,482
I have my HD600 since last March and a few hours ago I plugged them for the first time into my vintage Marantz CD-72 Special Edition CD player and it sounds so much fuller and more dynamic than on my Fiio E10! I'm still blown away as I write!

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #7,929 of 23,482
I used Sennheiser HD 600 and HD650 for some time and compared them, here are my thoughts of their soundstage. 

Sennheiser HD600 have narrow soundstage in straight line left and right and Sennheiser HD650 have soundstage placed at an angle.

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #7,930 of 23,482
Differences in the upper mids between the K701 and the HD600 are huge. Namely, the K701 has an obvious "plastic" coloration that is evident on vocals and certain instruments. Once you hear it, it doesn't go away.

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #7,931 of 23,482
  Differences in the upper mids between the K701 and the HD600 are huge. Namely, the K701 has an obvious "plastic" coloration that is evident on vocals and certain instruments. Once you hear it, it doesn't go away.

That depends on the amp, maybe the source too - some just make for an immediately plasticky AKG and a too dark Sennheiser - like with my Little Dot MkII on virtually any source. Ditto my smartphone.

Jun 28, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #7,932 of 23,482
  I used Sennheiser HD 600 and HD650 for some time and compared them, here are my thoughts of their soundstage. 

Sennheiser HD600 have narrow soundstage in straight line left and right and Sennheiser HD650 have soundstage placed at an angle.

With good amp, good source (good recording) and lossless audio format it feels to me more like the sound is 'everywhere'. Not just coming in a straight line or angled lines... 

Jun 28, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #7,933 of 23,482
Hey all,

Does anyone mind providing me with the est. dimensions of the HD600 box by chance (height, width, length)?  Doesn't have to be precise.  Much appreciated in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back