Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #7,816 of 23,499
Well i can stretch the budget a bit, i'm basicaly looking for something with a good bang/buck ratio.
I found the audioengine D1 http://audioengineusa.com/Store/D1-24-Bit-DAC
I also thought about the ODAC/O2 combo and just getting a TOS to RCA convertor(no experience with this, is the quality terrible?). this is a above budget, but perhaps a used one or the DIY version would solve that.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #7,817 of 23,499
  Well i can stretch the budget a bit, i'm basicaly looking for something with a good bang/buck ratio.
I found the audioengine D1 http://audioengineusa.com/Store/D1-24-Bit-DAC
I also thought about the ODAC/O2 combo and just getting a TOS to RCA convertor(no experience with this, is the quality terrible?). this is a above budget, but perhaps a used one or the DIY version would solve that.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

How about Schiit Modi/Magni combination? You can choose Modi Optical or USB.
This will put you into a 200$ territory and is a very good bang for the buck overall.

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #7,818 of 23,499

How about Schiit Modi/Magni combination? You can choose Modi Optical or USB.
This will put you into a 200$ territory and is a very good bang for the buck overall.

Good idea, a decent USB to TOS/Coax SPDIF converter probably costs as much as or more than the Modi Optical. I think he still needs amp. He can round that out with a Magni and get some Y cables to join that with both Modi DACs. Everything should stack nicely and look good together.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #7,820 of 23,499
Yes, it is a bit over budget, so I wouldn't be able to buy right away, but still worth exploring.
I would mainly be using the setup on my pc, so i would have to get a soundcard with optical connection or a usb to optical. Do either of these options compare to the sound quality a usb DAC can deliver? I wouldn't want to degrade my pc audio because of the occasional movie i watch on TV.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #7,821 of 23,499
Just received my HD600 yesterday. This is the second time I've owned this set of cans and I know why I missed them so much! Currently without an amp or DAC and these are so lovely. :) Discovering so much new music and revisiting old favourites! There isn't a thing these do wrong.

And the extra fun part is to track down an amplifier and DAC. :D Everyone seems to be saying that the Modi and Magni(or Vali) stack will be fine so that is an option that would make my wallet very happy. The endless recommendations of the HD6XX and Bottlehead Crack, and the satisfaction of a little DIY, have me wondering, though...

So many decisions! 

In response to you, aRoses, if you can get a soundcard with an optical out, then the quality would be just the same as USB. :) I would say that would be a better option than a USB to optical converter. One fewer item to clutter up your space. Audio feng-shui? If you're really adamant on going the converter route, shoot me a PM and I may be able to assist you!

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #7,822 of 23,499
What about a nfb11 or nfb15 or similar? Has plenty digital inputs and a of quality amp

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #7,823 of 23,499
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a HD 600, it's my first 'real' set of headphones and I'm wondering what kind of dac/amp I should get with it.
I'm looking to spend around 150euros(around 200dollar). 
I will be using this mainly for my computer, but occasionally I would like to use it to watch a movie on my TV and here's the kicker:
my TV only supports TOSlink output. 
Would it be worth getting something that can also handle this kind of input, or would I be better off getting an TOSlink convertor?

Thanks,
aRoses

The audioengine D1 DAC does up to 192khz over toslink, and up to 96khz on USB. Its the only DAC I know of that does toslink anywhere near the $200 mark, but it goes for $169 or less on amazon..... Its pretty good, bit dont think its enough for the hd600.... I gave mine away to a friend after I got my GeekOut450 (199$). Its an amazing DAC/amp for the price and a very good match with my hd600, but USB only..

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #7,824 of 23,499
I may have found my equivalent iem to the HD600 in dunu dn2000..to the point where I'm wondering if I should sell the HD600

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #7,825 of 23,499
Unless you really need the money I would keep them. IEM's are great but for relaxing at home you cannot beat a nice pair of cans IMHO. 600's are for life. :)

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #7,826 of 23,499
At home I find myself using my speakers more. Perhaps because where I live it's warm and humid wearing cans tend to become uncomfortable fast

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #7,827 of 23,499
At home I find myself using my speakers more. Perhaps because where I live it's warm and humid wearing cans tend to become uncomfortable fast

I can agree with that when referring to closed back hardphones, but the HD600 is open back and let's one's ears breathe.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #7,828 of 23,499
not fully... most of it is covered by the ?driver .. add in average of 30 degrees C and 80% humidity and u get heat build up after 30mins of listening..

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #7,829 of 23,499
These headphones are on my "to-buy" list as soon as I start getting rid of my other headphones. I need some help trying to decide on an amp for these, though. I probably won't buy it right away; might just run the headphones off my motherboard since I've heard they're very sensitive despite the high impedance. But when and if I grab an amp, I was wondering what a good pairing would be. I'll probably settle on an Objective2, but are there some great tube amp pairings I could try, to improve the midrange and treble response?

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #7,830 of 23,499
not fully... most of it is covered by the ?driver .. add in average of 30 degrees C and 80% humidity and u get heat build up after 30mins of listening..
Heat has never bothered me and I live in Florida.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back